AV6P Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 07/26/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: AV6P
This guitar can cover many styles and tones, very versatile. It has amazing clean tone, perfect for clean stuff.
 7.4
 8.4
 6.3
review (1) pictures (5) 3 comments vote for this gear:
AV6P Reviewed by: Funkofon, on july 26, 2012

Purchased from: local guitar shop

Features: It was made in 2010. I don't know which country, but probably China since they have a plant there. Ok, basic features: - Body: American alder (Strat style) - Neck: Maple/Bubinga (bolt on) - Fingerboard: rosewood - Nut: Ivory/Graphite - Tuners: Wilkinson E-Z-Lok - Bridge: Wilkinson WV6SB (steel block) - Scale: 25.5 - Frets: 22 medium jumbo - Pickups: Wilkinson P90 Stacked Humbucker X3 - Controls: Volume, tone and Roll control (humbucker to single coil), 5-way selector - Hardware: nickel and it has tremolo. It is available in 3 finishes: Laguna blue, firenza red and boulevard black. Mine is boulevard black and it looks nice. Features are nice, lots of tonal options. Bubinga wood part on neck is just a little piece of wood that connects neck and body on larger area, resulting in better sustain. Tuners are amazing, they act like locking and they have two holes instead of one for better stability, and they stay in tune even when I'm using whammy bar like a floyd rose. Tremolo system is also amazing on this guitar. Stacked humbuckers means that they are on top of each other. However, they don't stop the hum when they are in humbucking mode, hum goes away only in position's 2 and 4 like a normal Strat. Neck is fat but it feels good since I'm used to playing on fat necks. Guitar is also heavy, it weighs 3.8 kg, or 8.4 lbs, which I don't mind that much. No gig bag, or case included. // 9

Sound: I'm mainly a blues/rock player, and I know some jazz and funk. And I want to learn more of jazz and funk style. This is the reason I bought this guitar - it can cover many styles and tones, very versatile. It has amazing clean tone, perfect for clean stuff. I like P90-s sound, since it is not as thin as regular single coil. Roll control (singe coil to humbucker) gives a lot of tonal options. Rock sound is pretty good too even on my digital amp (Fender Mustang II). I also like to play some hard rock, like AC/DC. However guitar has some problems on more gainy stuff. You could push it to hard rock, but it's not ideal for it. And finally, it is not for metal. (I have to notice that my amp is also not so good on more gainy stuff, maybe on some better tube amp you could get a hard rock tone, but I'm pretty sure it is not for metal). It has real Vintage look and feel so I'd guess you wouldn't buy this guitar if you want to play metal or modern sounds. I'm not a metal player, however it loses a point for not being able to produce an amazing hard rock tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup of my guitar was not so good. I probably wouldn't bought it if it was not on a big discount. First thing, my roll control pot was loose. Luckily, it's an easy fix. Action was high, and I had to lover it. Pickups were low, I raised them a bit, especially the bridge pickup. Intonation was way off, I also fixed it. Strings were old and weren't even stretched, I replaced them for tens. And also strings were put terribly on tuners, high E had 5 winds (2 winds are recommended for every string). When fixed, guitar was pretty good, it sounded good and felt good, no string buzz, stayed in tune well. However I noticed that nut was cut high, so I will probably get a professional setup so that everything is perfect. Body, neck and hardware (except pots) are pretty good, nothing wrong with it. In conclusion, quality parts (except pots), and terrible setup. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Guitar feels good and sturdy. It is heavy and it seems well built. I don't gig, yet, but I'm sure it would do nice on stage. Strap buttons are okay but I wouldn't gig without strap locks. Guitar will last. In a few years I might expect problems with pots (becoming loose), but other than that, it's good. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years now and this is my 2nd guitar. I bought it mainly because of quality part's, tone versatility, and clean tones (and price). Before buying I played PRS SE Singlecut, Squire Strats and Teles, MIM Fender Teles, and also some Schecters, Washburns and Epiphones. For the price this guitar beats all of them. I really like pickups, tuners and tremolo on this thing. In conclusion, if you want a Strat on steroids with quality Wilkinson parts, lots of tonal options and Vintage sounds, this is your guitar. // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013