Metal Axxe Razer Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 04/04/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: Metal Axxe Razer
The straightforward pickup volume and tone controls on the Razer, in conjunction with the 3-way toggle, also offer additional versatility thanks to a coil tap facility, giving single coil tones alongside the powerful double coil pickup sounds.
 7.5
 8.2
 6.7
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Metal Axxe Razer Reviewed by: nariek, on april 04, 2007

Purchased from: Gear4Music

Features: Probably made in China. 24 fret, rosewood thin neck. Satin finish over a wood which I can't identify. Asymmetric double cutaway shaped body (looks similar to the ESP Viper). Tune-O-Matic bridge, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and 3-way selector. An extra feature which I have discovered after taking off the tone knob, it can pop up and click into place which provides a darker tone, whether this is supposed to happen I just don't but it does make a difference and is quite a novel feature. There are 2 uncovered Wilkinson humbuckers. It has 3 a side Wilkinson tuners which are non-locking. I think it came with a couple of tools. // 8

Sound: It suits my music very well, the pickups work surprisingly well for the price. I play mostly rock but bought this guitar (my first) for metal. I bought a BB Blaster amplifier along with the guitar so that is what I used it with, and with that particular amp, when used with distortion made a very gritty, distorted sound, however with my Roland: Microcube, when used with distortion it plays well with a rich overdriven, distortion. It has a lot of feedback and doesn't have a lot tonal variation but for 180 pound guitar what can you expect, what tone it does have is pretty Standard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has never been set-up professionally, because of the fact that it's not worth it, the action is high which allows for comfortable bends which was what I was looking for as a beginner. The pickups were set up poorly and had a sloppy tilt. It had no other flaws which I can think of. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play this guitar without a backup live, for the simple fact that it is not a gigging guitar in my eyes it just doesn't have the quality or the sound. The hardware will last I'm sure especially since it has a matte finish. Strap buttons are solid and took a lot of effort to take off. // 8

Overall Impression: For my style of music this guitar was great, for a bit then I discovered that there was a lot better out there. I have been playing for 2 years and own 8 guitars and out of all of them this is the only true metal guitar and it does the job for the time being, since I do not play metal in my band. I probably would buy another one if it was stolen just because of its price and nostalgic reasons. I love how light the guitar is, I all the time I have been playing which I know isn't long but I played hundreds of guitars and never have I played a lighter guitar. I hate the amount of feedback that the guitar produces. // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013