Metal Axxe Wraith Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 11/04/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: Metal Axxe Wraith
This guitar plays most metal brilliantly and even sounds good playing blues but because the guitar looks so crazy you would expect to see it in a heavy metal band/thrash etc.
 3.5
 4.4
 2.5
review (1) pictures (3) 29 comments vote for this gear:
Metal Axxe Wraith Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 04, 2011

Purchased from: music shop

Features: This was my second guitar that I have bought, the Axxe Wraith was built around 2004 (the old discontinued model) with a slim neck and medium frets this guitar can be used for serious lead solos. The floyd rose double locking bridge is a pain when it comes to changing strings but it holds tune better than some Gibsons and Fenders that I have played. It has one volume and one tone and a five way selector switch that operates a h/s/h configuration.It seems that I was one of the lucky few that bought this guitar and had a good fitted neck etc (always try out a guitar before you buy it doesn't matter who makes the guitar if you to $20 or $20, 000 if a guitar doesn't feel or play right to you don't waste your money). The basswood body and maple neck are set together nicely on my guitar which also seems to be a rare thing coming from these guitars. // 8

Sound: I play all kinds of music but I always come back to playing Heavy metal. I play through a marshal 30watt and sometime I will just use the effects from my Boss BR532 however you can't really tell how good a guitar sounds if you are using digital effects, for a better idea play through am amp on clean sound. To be honest this pups on this guitar are rubbish and the electrics are crap cheap and for all intensive purposes useless. I routed out the cavities and put in classic 57s and a Fender noiseless single coil about the same impeadence as the humbuckers and routed the control cavity for full sized pots and Orange drop caps now not only does this guitar look mean it now sounds like the axe it should have been. Please only do custom jobs to your guitar if you know what you are doing. I will rate the sound to what it sounded like out of the shop and not what it sounds like now. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: Having fitted gauge 9 strings and set the hight and intonation this guitar holds tune for ages even after vigorous playing for hours (the true test of a guitar) any guitar can be fitted with better pups etc but if a guitar can't hold its tune then it useless. The low profile frets were flawless on my guitar which again seems to be a rare thing for these guitars. I shall rate this low as it is hard to find a floyd rose bridge that needed as much setting up as mine did. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I had tried this guitar with the stock pups and the answer was an embarrassing NO it did not survive live playing, I got through the gig thanks to a good sound engineer who had to lower or heighten the volume on the pa system as the guitar pups would be quited one second then distorted loud the second, possibly due to earthing problems within the pups themselves. I would not recommend doing gigs with any guitar without a backup (like I did). Now that the guitar has been customized I would gig with the guitar and yes it would survive but I wouldn't try it without a backup. Again I shall rate this with the stock equipment. // 1

Overall Impression: Now that this guitar is customized it plays most metal brilliantly and even sounds good playing blues but because the guitar looks so crazy you would expect to see it in a heavy metal band/thrash etc. This guitar is far better than some guitars 2 or 3 times its price but only after some time effort and money being spent on this guitar. For a guitar the Axxe Wraith is rubbish and not worth the money but as a guitar project it has worked and rewarded me many times over, if I lost this guitar I would be heart broken but I seriously doubt that I would find another Axxe Wraith with the good quality neck and finish as is what my guitar has, for that reason alone I will rate this guitar how I feel about it now (and try and forget the nightmares thanks to the stock pups and electric) lol. // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013