TC200B Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 01/07/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: TC200B
This traditional single cutaway guitar design with a straightforward complement of two single coil pickups, controlled by a 3-way pickups selector and master volume and tone rotaries, offers some truly classic rock, country and blues tones. A no-nonsense guitar with a no-nonsense sound.
 9.2
 8.8
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
TC200B Reviewed by: belavista man, on january 07, 2008

Features: I bought this Telecaster copy for my birthday in 2006, if I remember rightly. I'm not entirely sure what year it was made, but it surely can't have been made before 2000. It has 22 Standard Telacaster-styled frets, marked with black fret dots. Great for rhythm playing. It has two single coild pickups (neck and bridge). I don't know the make of the pickups, bridge or machine-heads, sadly. The guitar was second hand, after all. All I know about the hardware is that it's chrome and based around a Fender Telecaster. Not a lot of help, I know, but it's information, I suppose. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of different styles, and my Vintage seems to be able to fit itself around them very easily. I used to play rhythm and blue when I started playing, and it fit that perfectly. I later moved on to heavier things like punk etc. and it still kept a surprising hold on that style too. Nowadays, I've started playing reggae, and with a little persuasion (and a little chorus), it sounds great in that style too. I think the only style that it wouldn't fit very easily would be the heaviest stuff (metal etc.), but I don't play that so I'm not the best person to ask about for that field of music. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was alright when I got it, but it was a little too high for me. I lowered it when I figured out how, and now it's easy enough for me to play it. The pickups were easy enough to adjust; standard screw adjustment. The only flaws were the broken nut and a stained scratchplate, but it was second hand when I got it, and both the nut and the scratchplat have been replaced now. The volume controls were slightly loose, but that was easily fixed. I presume that the wood of the neck is hard maple (bolt-on) and the fretboard is also maple. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's never let me down yet. The only problems I have had were a broken nut, which was there when I bought it, I had it replaced last month, and I had to get the electrics checked out once because of a loose wire. The strap-buttons are fitted very well, but the guitar must have been dropped at some point because the lower strap button is stuck too far into the body. Otherwise, it's been one of the most reliable guitars that I've handled. Even the finish doesn't seem to have been affected yet, and that's saying something considering that the Strat copy that I had was covered in damage when I parted ways with it. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, the TC200B is a very durable model and can fit to most styles with relative ease. I have a fairly wide musical field, and this Vintage has managed to stick through all of it. I play it through a Fender Automatic GT amplifier, which has built-in reverb and chorus effects. The pair work very well together, but I will soon be getting a Hiwatt Maxwatt, which also provides a durable sound when combined with the TC200B. Personally, even if I bought another guitar, I would always keep this guitar. A musician's best friend is his first real guitar. // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013