V100 Icon 'Lemon Drop' Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 07/27/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: V100 Icon 'Lemon Drop'
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 8.9
reviews (3) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
V100 Icon 'Lemon Drop' Reviewed by: jimmythelemon, on june 30, 2010

Purchased from: Rock Around The Clock

Features: This guitar was made in Vietnam in 2006. It has a 22-fret, 24.75" scale, set mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is made of mahogany and it has a flamed maple top. The style of this guitar is a single-cutaway Les Paul based on the legendary 1959 Gibson Les Paul used extensively by Peter Green and then later on Gary Moore. It has been aged and given that "road-worn" look, to look exactly like the original guitar down to the minutest of details such as holes where the scratch-plate has been "removed" and holes where the tuners have been "replaced". It features a Tune-O-Matic bridge and chrome hardware. It has passive electronics and features two Wilkinson Double-Coil humbuckers. There is a three way selector switch. The neck pickup is wired in reverse so when the middle position is selected you get that iconic "out of phase" sound. Each pickup has individual volume and tone controls. The tuners are Wilkinson Deluxe chrome machine heads which are similar to Grover ones and just as good. // 9

Sound: This guitar perfectly suits my style of playing. I play blues and heavy/blues rock. This guitar is perfetly suited to playing music in the style of Led Zeppelin, Free, Cream, Joe Bonamassa and any other blues/classic rock band or musician you care to mention. I am currently playing this guitar through a Line6 Spider Valve 112 combo and it sounds great on pretty much every one of the hundreds of presets and amp models but sounds best when using the blues or classic 'Plexi' sounds of the classic rock era. This guitar is not terribly loud which is a good thing because it perfectly compliments the styles of music this guitar was made for but don't worry, it can handle being cranked up to 11. On bluesier amplifier settings this guitar has a very rich and full bodied sound and on clean settings it sounds bright and very resonant. The neck pickup is fantastic for the more rhythm based guitar sounds and chords whilst the treble pickup barks and growls like a wounded beast and is perfect for solos. The neck pickup being wired in reverse means that when the three way selector is set in the middle position you can get that brilliant "out of phase" sound which is fantastic for blues playing but may not appeal to everyone's tastes. Playing around with the volume and tone controls means you can get a variety of sounds from Joe Bonamassa and Clapton, to Jimmy Page and Slash, to Paul Kossoff and obviosly Peter Green. Overall I am extremely pleased with this guitar's tone and overall sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased this guitar it did not have the original factory set-up from Vintage and had been set-up by the guitar shop owner so I can only speculate as to the original set-up. The guy in the guitar shop had modified the pickups by changing the heights of the copper wire in the pickups so they were the same as an original 1959 Les Paul. As far as I can tell there was no damage to any part of the guitar and it came perfectly giggable straight out of the shop and I have made no modifications (apart from fitting strap-locks) since I bought it in 2008. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for over two years and have been gigging with it for just as long and it has withstood every bash and knock that befalls a guitar in the heat of a gig. The tuners are brilliant and have never let me down by going out of tune and the only bit of hardware that has given me any trouble has been the input jack which has come loose a few times but is easily fixed with the application of a spanner and some elbow grease. As soon as I bought the guitar, I replaced the strap buttons with strap-locks, not because they were bad but I just prefer to be safe in the knowledge that my guitar will never fall off mid-gig. I would, and have used this as my main guitar at gigs for over two years and even though it's never let me down, I always bring a back-up just in case the worst should happen. The finish was made to look like it had been played and abused for 40 years and so with each passing gig and knock, it looks better and better and just adds to this guitar's mojo. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is the guitar for you, if your like me and love your blues and classic rock. I've been playing for around six years and I have used this as my main instrument since I got it. My rig includes a Line6 Spider Valve 112 combo with an FBV Shortboard, a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, a Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive pedal and a Behringer DD400 Digital Delay pedal and this guitar blends perfectly into the mix. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would most certainly buy another one because for 349 ($520), you get something which could have it's price tripled and still be worth every last penny. The best thing about this guitar is definately value for money (it should be illegal to get this tone for under 500). When I was thinking of buying this I was also looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Classic Antique and a Dean Evo Noir and this guitar surpases both in terms of tone and build quality. I settled on the Vintage because I think that Epiphones are just too expensive for what they are. I could have gotten the Dean Evo Noir for really cheap because my guitar teacher is endorsed by Dean but I still chose the Vintage over both of them. I would higly reccomend this guitar to anyone on a budget looking for that '59 Les Paul sound who isn't willing to pay over a grand for a real Gibson. Overall a brilliant buy. // 10

V100 Icon 'Lemon Drop' Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Left handed Body: Mahogany Top: Flame Maple Neck: Mahogany Set Neck Fingerboard: Rosewood Scale: 24.75"/ 628mm Frets: 22 Neck Inlays: Pearloid Crown Tuners: Wilkinson Deluxe WJ01 Chrome Bridge: Tune-O-Matic Pickups: Wilkinson Double Coil x 2 (N) MWVC (B)MWVC Hardware: Chrome Controls: 2 x Volume/ 2 x Tone/ 3-Way Toggle // 9

Sound: I mostly play blues/blues rock anywhere from bb king to Led Zeppelin and this guitar suits it perfectly. I'm using it with a Fender Blues Junior with the odd pedal (fuzz, wah etc.) but I'm not really a fan of pedals but clean or dirty it sounds the mutts nuts. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I bought mine off eBay and it was brand new and as most left handed guitars I've bought it was set up awfully and needed some fret levelling and all round adjusting to set it to play right but once that was sorted it was great, as far as the electronics are concerned I've not had a problem. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live but definitely would as this is my go to guitar, would definitely not worry about the hardware or the finish as it has a distressed look anyway so yeh it could stand a good beating up or used to beat someone else up as it's a heavy mofo ya dig. // 9

Overall Impression: This suits my style of music down to the ground and is a great match for me, I've been playing for 7 years and have seen guitars come and go but I think this one will stay for some time, if it were stolen I would probably get another one if I started to miss it which I think I would. You never see such a lovely flamed lemon drop finish on any other guitar of this price, that coupled with the Wilkinson hardware (which is very well made) and the out of phase wiring makes this a guitar worth buying. If you see one at a shop near you then give it a go... You just might like it. // 9

V100 Icon 'Lemon Drop' Reviewed by: tilzo, on july 27, 2012

Purchased from: dolphin music

Features: Korean made I think, bought 2007. 22 frets, thin profile mahogany set neck with rosewood board. Mahogany body with flamed maple top. Factory relic'd. Sort of matt finish. LP style hardware, stainless steel. Wilkinson buckers. 3 way toggle. Bla bla you know what's on it.I have been playing 30+ years and don't look at the lemon drop as a budget guitar at all. It feels and plays quality. // 9

Sound: I play fairly raw bluesy rock and this guitar does well. It has a rich full sound when played with either valves or solid state. I practice with a Fender Frontman and my gig amp is an all valve Carlsbro Sidewinder combo (1988 built, a Vintage amp now I suppose)I tend to use the amps dirty channels on the amps but also use a Tubescreamer Reissue 808, Ibanez AD9 Delay, Crybaby, Boss Chorus and Boss Volume Pedal. This guitar works well with all the above. Its a rock guitar out and out. Great for classic Zep, Clapton, etc and perfect for black keys style and the Foos too. Very versatile. Quiet generally but this depends on too many factors to assess. Certainly no noisier than average. Very nice clean sound too, especially on the neck pup. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action low, factory set up is as it is really, hit or miss I find on any guitar, but this one wasn't bad. Has one choking fret way up there on the G string but it just need the frets fiddled with a bit and I haven't got round to it. It was beat up in the factory and truthfully the relic work isn't great but looks good from on stage I imagine. Nice weight and very nice balance. The relic wear on the back is particularly naff but the wear on the back of the neck is much more authentic. It's well finished overall with no stick outs anywhere. Nice binding on the neck and body and a solid fitted neck. The tuner hold tune really well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar loads and it hasn't missed a beat. The jack input has come loose once or twice but just got tightened up. One of the knobs came off but that was cos I whacked it against something. Stuck it on with superglue. No worries on this front. // 9

Overall Impression: If you were blind folded and handed this guitar plugged into the dirt channel of a half decent amp you would say "**** me this is good!". I don't buy very expensive guitar but have played em and this plays like an expensive guitar. My other guitars are a Tele Baja and a 1988 Japstrat. This is by far the most reliable and least troublesome guitar I have. For a few hundred quid its a must if you are looking for something Gibson-esque but don't want to spend the cash. For the money it has to be a 10 I'm afraid. // 10

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013