V100 MRJBM Icon Series Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 06/08/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: V100 MRJBM Icon Series
It's a decent guitar with fixable flaws. Sounds great and looks great. With the mahogany body and maple top, it screams for you to pick it up and play it loud!
 6.8
 8.4
 5.2
review (1) pictures (3) 14 comments vote for this gear:
V100 MRJBM Icon Series Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2012

Price paid: € 395

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: - Body: Mahogany - Neck: Mahogany Set Neck - Fingerboard: Rosewood - Scale: 24.75"/ 628mm - Frets: 22 - Neck Inlays: Pearloid Crown - Tuners: Wilkinson Deluxe WJ303 Chrome - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic - Pickups: Wilkinson Double Coil x 2 (N) MWVC (B) MWVC - Hardware: Chrome - Controls: 2 Volume/ 2 Tone/ 3-Way Toggle I think these are made in China or somewhere near, like many Les Paul copies. // 9

Sound: I think it will be suitable almost anything, I mostly play Hard rock and it's good for it. I use Impact 60w tube amp (made in 60's) + 4+12 homemade cab + Different distortion/overdrive pedals). I've heard these pickups are made with a PAF design and they work for me. The body resonates well and this guitar is darn heavy! (not for people with a back problem). Like Les Pauls do, very warm and full sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is the part where you find the difference with cheap and expensive guitars. Poorly finished guitar I would say, but if you know how to build guitars or repair, then you don't have any problems! I Didn't find any flaws on the neck itself (seems to be straight) BUT: - One of the tuning machines were loose (the nut wasn't tight at all, it made a resonating sound) - lower volume and tone knob fell of! Had to put some tape over the pots rod (Can you say it like that? I'm from Finland, sorry for the grammar fails... Now it won't slide, works fine now) - Sharp edges! In every corner of the body, had to round them with sandpaper. If you play standing straight and strum the chords as you normally do on a gig, you may hit the body! But after a rehearsal.. Felt nasty on my right hand I've heard that the fret wire is "like butter", there is a one cut for budget too. It depends how much you play, but... // 7

Reliability & Durability: If you take it straight from the package, I wouldn't play live with it. Changed the strings and filled the saddle holes with a normal pencil (Guitar with a low prize like this, what can you expect?) But after adjusting, I played the whole rehearsal with this! I bought this for a backup and works fine for it! My number one guitar is Gibson ES-339, it's a great guitar... But wouldn't buy another, it's pricy! Bought it used for 1300. Hardware is from Wilkinson, so I think these will last. Changed the Strap buttons for Schaller's locking ones (Better safe than sorry). This guitar is distressed, to the wearing would be a bonus for the style! // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play Hard rock and it suits for it! I've been playing for about ten years and this guitar is a good ad for the collection! "Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product?" I would ask about the fret wires, cause I've heard they won't last for long (Cheap is cheap). If it would be stolen, I would be mad/sad/angry! Cause it's a decent guitar with fixable flaws. What I love about it: - It feels like a guitar (heavy!) - Sounds great (classic rock, it wou wanna play Death metal, you should change the pickups) - Looks great (with a almost normal headstock (one extra horn), not a swollen he'd like in the Epiphones) What I don't like so much: - Flaws in the finish (Fixable) - Little tuning problems (Cheap nut, but with some pencil in them, works ok!) - Worry of the fret wires (not a nowday problem, but in every cheap guitar, gonna come some day!) Compare, hmmm... Epiphone would be the competition for this one. I would say Epiphone would be better for people with no skill to adjust or fix, but if you hate Epiphones headstock and you can fix guitars, this is for you! If you think, should I buy this? If you can adjust it a little bit or your friend can, get it! Don't expect this is a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe type of thing, but with the mahogany body and maple top, it screams for you to pick it up and play it loud! // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013