V2 Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 03/28/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: V2
This is a great match for blues, but it can do everything apart from metal well. This guitar has a very special place in my heart, and for good reason, it plays great, sounds great, looks great, and it's nice to the wallet aswell.
 7.4
 8.6
 6.2
review (1) pictures (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
V2 Reviewed by: Hunter2081, on march 28, 2012

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: musicstore.com

Features: I have no idea when mine was made, I bought it almost a year ago if that counts for anything. Probably assembled in China etc, but the workmanship is very high quality on mine. Solid top, poplar body, maple neck and a rosewood fretboard. All Wilkinson parts, typical Telecaster really. Overall, you get what you want in a traditional Tele. // 8

Sound: I play a range of styles (and hence have a range of guitars). I use this guitar for Blues, Classic Rock, and Punk. This guitar isn't as good as my other guitars for metal, so if you play on doing that, this is the wrong guitar. However, this guitar is phenomenal for blues, and begs to played. I use it more often then not with a Bogner Alchemist, a dark amp like this suits if perfectly. It is a tiny bit noisy, however it's not more then what you would expect out of any single coil guitar, and so I don't think much of it. It as a range of sounds, from brittle crunch on the bridge, so creamy smooth licks on the the neck. The middle position tries to give the best of both worlds, however I don't use this very often. Overall, if you like SRV, Jimi Hendrix, BB King and Chuck Berry... This guitar will be your new best friend. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is better set up then any Gibson or Fender product I have ever played (however, I don; t want to knock these fine brands, that's just MY experience). I felt no need to adjust the pickups, they were fine out of the factory. The finish is a light lemon, in pictures it looks mustard yellow, but in real life it's a light yellow, which looks amazing. The problem I have is that on the back of mine you can see the seams of where parts of the body meet. As I have also found out while gigging, hit this hard enough and it chips a little more then most other guitars, but look after it and it's fine (you wouldn't notice the chipping on mine anyways). Overall, very few flaws. The guitar holds tune REALLY well despite all my string bending, the pickups are very good for a cheap pair, ad the bridge is very good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a workhorse. I cycle through a few guitars in my set, but this is my main axe. I can trust it completely and wouldn't have an issue gigging with it without a backup. The hardware has stood up well to a year's worth of rough playing, better then my other guitars that cost more. The strap buttons are very chunky, making strap locks a luxury more then a necessity. The finish however is thin, but I still have to give this guitar high marks as it's a minor nit pick. // 8

Overall Impression: As previously stated, this is a great match for blues, but it can do everything apart from metal well. I have been playing about 5 years now, I own a 1960 Gibson Melody Maker, Stratocasters, aswell as previously owning a Gibson SG and Les Paul. This guitar has a very special place in my heart, and for good reason, it plays great, sounds great, looks great, and it's nice to the wallet aswell. If it was stolen I would give the thief a very slow and painful death, needless to say. I bought this one after playing loads of squire products and feeling let down. I bought off of the internet as telecasters were hard t come by in my area in that price range. It was supposed to be a cheap guitar that would be a backup that I wouldn't care about if it got damaged, it's now one of my favourite guitars. I have played other Vintage products and I have to admit, they have impressed me. Don't hesitate to buy one! // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013