VH51FR Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 05/17/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: VH51FR
This hugely versatile guitar throws out huge amounts of real rock tones from its twin zebra humbuckers, whilst the onboard locking Floyd Rose tremolo system means that harmonic dive-bombs are so easy, it?s not true!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 7.7
 8.4
 6.9
reviews (4) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
VH51FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2005

Purchased from: Abbey Music Studios Nuneaton

Features: - Body: eastern poplar - Top: maple flame - Neck: maple - bolt on - Fingerboard: rosewood - Scale: 25.5/648mm - Frets: 22 - Neck Inlays: pearloid dot - Tuners: Wilkinson WJ807 - Vibrato: Floyd Rose Tremolo - Pickups: Wilkinson double coil x 2 (N) MWHBZ (B)MWHBZ - Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way toggle // 8

Sound: I play pop/punk, rock and jazz and this Vintage van-halen copy does it all with tonnes of tone and bite. Delivers just what you want it to. The Wilkinson pickups arnt expensive but they deliver great harmonics and bright through to rich tones. I play it with hybrid slinkies and its pretty fast although I am mainly rhythm. Better at the neck playin smoother tones, bridge could be brighter. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Equipped with a floyd rose so dive bombs are good and the black hardware looks bad on the crimson version, gold would suit much better, but it keeps in tune very well. It's a little heavy, but I can allow that because it gives it the rich feeling to it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Great live and in jams, never let me down and doesn't go out of tune (only with new strings). Hardware is good but looks bad (black on red). Strap buttons are great but I have replaced with locking strap buttons. I would play this anywhere without backups, it's thoroughly reliable and feels that way too! Finish is great, looks good and doesn't scratch easily (no scratch plate). Neck wood is a little soft though. // 10

Overall Impression: Great punk guitar! Played through a Zoom 606 sounds good, even better through Marshall AVT150! Wish it didn't have a floyd rose, I don't like them! If this broke I would definitely get it. I have played the original Peavey Van-Halen and the other music man Axl copy, this is better! And half the price! It's reliable, looks good, feels good! I wish it had a Seymour Duncan Invader and '59! Would sound amazing. Needs gold hardware. // 10

VH51FR Reviewed by: IndieMetalhead, on february 08, 2007

Features: My model is actually the VH51FP (it has a purplish finish and chrome hardware instead of red and black) but technically it is the same guitar. I'm sure it's one of the older 03/04ish models, as it doesn't have wilkinson hardware. // 8

Sound: I play a wide range of music, from metal to Indie to emo pop. With the humbuckers it's hard to get the softer sounds, and the bridge is a little weak, but with the neck humbucker and a little bit of overdrive (from an Ibanez PD7 bass distortion) you can get a pretty nice blues tone, coaxing a metal tone is harder, but It can be done. for the price, it does what I need it to do. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar was poor. the frets were very, very sharp on the treble end of the fretboard, and one of the screws on the bridge was dodgy. However, a quick filing and replacing the screw on the B with the one from the e sorted that problem. the bridge pickup was very very slanted, and had to be forced out because the routing for it was slightly too small, so unless you're keeping it stock expect to take a sanding block to the offending areas. The covers over the electronics and the bridge at the back are very, very tightly fitted, so if you're forever fiddling with the electrics or trem springs you'll either need to replace them, leave them off altogether or attempt to sand them to fit. The trem springs are sturdy, but I never use the trem and have it blocked off. The saving points for the guitar are the machine heads. Despite being a generic no-name, they are very, very sturdy! The locking nut is of an acceptable quality too. Some of the routing is sloppy, mostly where the bridge sits and in the electronics compartment, but for the price it's reasonable. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It holds its tuning well, and having gigged my 2 Vintage basses I would trust this, they hold up well for the price, would probably withstand a gig aslong as it wasn't a screamo band throwing it around! Despite being a licensed bridge it is pretty sturdy, and the strap buttons are acceptable, as mentioned before the Machine heads are of a brilliant quality, the locking nut is reasonable (does it's job). The finish seems nice and thick for a guitar this price. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this as my first guitar, being a bass player for just over 3 years now. despite noticing the obvious flaws with the frets I bought it, and it was a good investment. with D'Addario 10's it sounds reasonable. I own 3 other basses, a Cort C4, Vintage V940FL and Vintage EST96AF. Something to ask before buying it? for the trem bar! haha. If I lost it or it was stolen I would probably invest in something better, since I think these are out of production now. I love how it's a copy of EVH's Musicman/Peavey guitar, which looks relatively like a Telecaster (to me). If it had a Wilkinson trem I would consider it more, not really a fan of floyd rose tremelos! // 8

VH51FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 23, 2008

Sound: I'm using this with a seeminly generic Cruiser 10W practice amp, and a Zoom G1 multieffects pedal ad I have to say that it sounds good despite this, I play pretty much anything rock; think The Who, The Rolling Stones etc through to more modern Foo Fighters and Kings Of Leon. Don't really have much truck with metal, but I'm guessing this guitar could handle it as it's a copy of a Van Halen guitar, equipped with a FR tremolo. For my style of music it's great, you can get the bright, harsh sound of AC/DC, to the crashing Townshendish chords fine, to some of the more mellow RHCP or even some Dire Straits. A few complaints though, with the distortion cranked up it can (and will) buzz like a wasp's nest dependent on what type of distortion you use. Then again this could be put down to my amp (I once managed to pick up the local radio with the trem arm). Also, if you roll the tone all the way back it just goes too muddy for me, there's no real definition of sound, this is especially annoying as the tone/volume is right where your arm swings if your strumming hard, meaning you can mess up your settings by accident and Switch pickups without even knowing. However, get your settings right and it's great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't comment on factory set up as this was second hand. It's taken a few beatings, there's no pickguard so the finish is quite scratched in some places, but hasn't worn away yet. Also a few dings to the body and one small crack in the finish at the neck join. Not too bad for me as it looks like I've been playing for years, rather than a few months. The finish looks great, kind of deep crimson. You can see the grain of the wood through it as well, which for me is great. I'be also seen this in purple which looks nice as well. I strung it up with some really light strings (eights or nines) and lowered the action. Can't tell you how great the neck is, it feels really thin which means you can fly around it with the light strings and low action, making leads and chord changes nice and easy, I love it. It's taken abuse and still looks good so I'd rate it quite high. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Don't play Live yet but I'm sure it would stand up to it. Even without strplocks a decent strap won't fall off easily. Like I said, it's taken a beating and still looks and plays great so reliability/durability isn't a problem. Only the Floyd Rose makes changing strings a bit of a biatch, but it's not too bad. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a great, inexpensive guitar which has a lot of quality in it. If you love your rock then give this a go. It looks a bit different and sounds great. If it was lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another simply because I would like a change. I'd still be really hacked off about it though, if only for that great neck. Would probably go for and epi or something; maybe a firebird. // 9

VH51FR Reviewed by: DimeBomb, on may 17, 2011

Purchased from: Strungoutguitars - Glasgow

Features: I am unsure of when this guitar was made, but I know it is a discontinued model. It is a 22 fret, Strat style bolt-on maple neck. The body is made of basswood and has a flamed maple top and it also has a handy cut away at the neck joint. The Bridge is a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo, it also features unbranded non-locking tuners and passive pickups. I believe mine was modified before I purchased it used because during researching it I found it came with black hardware, whilst mine was silver. // 8

Sound: I play many styles, mainly thrash metal, metalcore and hard rock. It works well for most, for thrash it has a nice bite. I am using a DigiTech RP90 into a speakers and I works great. It's noisy when on high gain but it's easily dealt with. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great, it was low and perfect for solos. The Bridge does not seem to work correctly, and goes out of tune is the tremolo is used often. As the guitar was purchased used I expected flaws, there were 2 chips, one at the Bridge and the other at the Bridge pickup. Everything was fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would stand live playing, but I would put on strap locks, and a back-up because with a Floyd Rose it is difficult to change strings, re-tune etc. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is worth it, it plays well and sounds great. The only problems are the cheap hardware, and the chips I mentioned. If it were lost I would purchase something different for convenience as the model is discontinued. My favourite thing is the unusual shape which makes me stand out. I did compare it to a Washburn Les Paul style, but like the brighter tone of this one. // 8

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013