VRS100 Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 04/19/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: VRS100
Looking very fetching in a stunning and elegantly carved genuine flame maple top, this gorgeous slice of guitardom is as good to play as it is to look at.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 8.7
 8.5
reviews (7) pictures (6) 4 comments vote for this gear:
VRS100 Reviewed by: Pocket, on may 04, 2004

Features: This guitar is awesome bang for buck. It has 24 frets, 2 humbucking pickups and a 3 way pickup selecter. The one tone control knob also doubles as a split coil Switch which does splits the humbuckers to make them sound like single coils which sound ace on clean.It also comes with a tremelo that can bend to hell and back. The machineheads are quite stable. It has a beautiful maple top with mahogony body and rosewood fingerboard. // 10

Sound: This guitar really does sound like a much more expensive instrument. Hell, put it through a really good mixer and it even comes close to its PRS idol. I did have a rubbish little amp and it sounded ace through that ith a small overdrive pedal but i upgraded to Marshall mg100! It plays my music (sum 41, guns n roses, Offspring) most excellently. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is really low and makes the guitar feel jus so comfortable. It is absolutely stuningly gorgeous in its perfectly bookmatched maple top and cherry sunburst. Along the sides of the rosewood neck the wood is a little uneven but don't get in the way of playing. The pickup selector is a little loose but not too much so. The guy in the shopknocked me 25 off the 250 price tag cuz it has a little black spot on its side which i lovingly point out as a birthmark. The gold hardware is not so convincing up close(but what wud u expect for this money). // 8

Reliability & Durability: The finish is definately here to stay but i can see myself replcing the knobs for better gold ones in the future. I played this guitar a dam lot and has no scratches on it wotsover. It is totally bulletproof. This can defo withstand hard gigging and theres no problems with the strap buttons. // 8

Overall Impression: For this price there is no other guitar that I would seriously consider being able to play this well. There are some good thrashers though if u dont mind spending 300 only to smash it up on stage. I am never gonna give this guitar up to anyone or for anything. However, I am one day going to own the big one. PRS baby! This Vintage is ace. // 10

VRS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2005

Features: This guitar has 2 humbuckers which can be changed through pulling up the tone control to imitate single coil's. 24 easy to reach frets. Good variety in the tone control. // 8

Sound: I mainly play classic rock, but this guitar could play anything. The variety of the sounds available is huge. This is due to the possibility of changing from single coil to humbuckers in one pull/push of the tone control. Really handy if you want to go from chunky rhythm to screaming lead easily, or from thin picking to thick solo. The three way toggle selector works well. It really is comparable to anything even double the price. It doesn't feedback at all. The only bad thing is the noise cancellation. I play through a 100watt Fender (very loud) and this guitar will only send a signal to the amp if you play above a certain level. This is fine, as it cancels feedback. However, noise can suddenly appear from nowhere. Difficult to explain, but what I mean is, as it is a relatively cheap guitar, the noise cancellation is not the best. I'll still give it 5 though as the quality of the sound is exceptional. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in perfect condition when I bought it. Action is incredibly low (but not too low) and it is so easy to play. I thought I'd have trouble with a new guitar as my old guitar (a copy of a Strat) was so low and easy to play. I did drop it the day before I recorded my band's new album so I still haven't heard what it sounds like being professionally recorded, although I do have a decent digital recorder and it sounds great through this. When I did drop it, a small amount of paint came off (about 5cm by 1/2cm) and one tuning peg came off. Was easily fixed and replacement parts seem easy to get hold of. I was quoted 250 for a respray so I left the chip! It just fell off my strap (always use strap locks - learn from my experience) and it fell really hard! Tough guitar though and only relatively minor damage caused. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As mentioned previously, this guitar is very tough. I would easily use it without backup. Strings are easy to get on and rarely break. The finish is very good for this money and it looks stunning. I have got it in blue with chrome hardware (beware of gold hardware on 'budget' guitars - always wears off). // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing the guitar for around 6 years now, and with this guitar for about a year. It really can play any style. I forget how good it looks as I often leave it in my case if I'm not playing it. It's only when people comment on it that I realise. It is just stunning. It's so easy to play and light enough to go a little wild with it, but chunky enough to feel solid. Although this guitar is at the top end of 'budget' guitars, it does feel like a professional instrument. It has been said that it is the most perfect mix between a Les Paul and a Strat, and that's why I bought it and would advise anyone else to buy it. Just for having the best of both worlds. // 10

VRS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Purchased from: Dawsons

Features: This guitar was made in Japan in 2000. It has 24 frets on a rosewood fingerboard. The stunning laminated top sits on a heavy mahogany body. The finish is an exeptional quilted top. The body shape is modelled on Paul Reed Smith, and from a distance you could fool someone that is is! It has a set neck and a non locking tremolo bridge. The tuners are also non locking. It has 2 open coil humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way selector Switch. The tone pot can be pulled up to imitate single coils which is really a nice feature. // 8

Sound: I like to play different styles of music ranging from classic blues like Chuck Berry to modern rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Offspring. Due to the coil tap tone pot this guitar is very versatile for all these styles. I Play through a simple Marshall MG15CDR amp with reverb and distortion. Through this very simple practice amp this guitar sounds superb. Using the distortion the humbuckers sound fantastic, at the bridge it sounds crunchy, perfect for solos and lead guitar, at the neck it sounds more mellow, with a warm tone, suitable for rythym and at the middle Switch it is inbetween although I don't use this setting alot of the time. Through the clean channel the humbuckers again sound good but have too much feedback, this is where the single coil feature shines. It creates a crunching classic Strat sound, very precise and great for the Chili Peppers. Overall the sound is fantastic and extremely versatile, the only problem I really find with it is that it tends to produce alot of noise out of the amp on the humbuckers, but with a bit of plam muting or string dampening it sounds great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came very well set up from the shop, exept the action was too high for me, I am only a 14 year old and my fingers havn't fully grown yet, so I need a low action for those Chuck Berry bends. The pickups are fantastic and the bridge is very well made. The finish is still almost perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very heavy for me, and I am very small for my age, I can't really stand up playing this for more than 15 minutes because it then starts to hurt, but the strap locks can cope with the weight and I have never found my strap falling off, it is actually hard to put the strap on! I am not in a band and therfore do not gig, so I don't know if it will withstand live playing, but it is a very durable guitar, I have accidently knocked the head on my metal bed post while reading tabs off the internet and it still hasn't got a mark! The finish is very durable and the neck hasn't got any fret ware, and I have been playing this guitar for 2 1/2 years! The volume pot is a little loose and the 3 way selector Switch does not feel solid. The worst problem I have had is that the jack socket has a metal ring that is on the outside, and this comes loose easy, and has fallen off before, and the lead dosn't stay in without it. But the back panel covering the entry to the bridge is poorly made, the screws don't go in straight and when in need of a change in string they can be difficult to unscrew, but this is just my guitar and may not be the same on others. // 8

Overall Impression: For the amount of styles I play this guitar is superb. The tone pot feature is a great one and the overall quality of the guitar is exeptional. I have been playing for 3 1/2 years now and I feel I have progressed at a fast speed. I have a Marshall MG15CDR amp and no effects pedals. I started off playing acoustic, I have a 3/4 length Lauren acoustic that I started with, an Eko 12 String, and this electric Vintage VRS100. This guitar is still classed as a starter guitar but is at the high end of them, and this guitar feels superb. As my starter electric I was looking for a cheap guitar and I started looking at Squire Stratocasters, and this guitar outclassed all the Squires in the shop. If this guitar was stolen I would not buy it again because I am after a more expensive guitar at the moment, a real PRS Santana SE or Tremonti. I love this guitar and have enjoyed playing it, I have played alot of electrics although only owned this one. I have played guitars like Fender Strat, Tele and Fat Strat. Epiphone Les Paul, and PRS Santana SE and Soapbar SE. I think this guitar outclasses the Epiphone by far, and is more versatile, I only like single coil sound when played through a clean channel so I don't really like the sound of Strats and Teles, the only guitar that I have heard that have outclassed it are the real PRS's, but this guitar is still a superb starter/intermediate guitar. // 10

VRS100 Reviewed by: guitaristclass, on february 18, 2006

Purchased from: Salop Music Center

Features: As you may or may not know Vintage guitars were redesigned in 2005 by Trevor Wilkinson so I guess (as is a post Wilkinson model) that is was built in 2005 (same as year of purchase) and it was made in Vietnam. It has a set neck, made from maple, and has 24 medium frets on a rosewood fret board. The body is made from solid polymer with a maple top (it is flamed on mine). The body is based on Paul Reed Smith (PRS) guitars, hense the name, (VRS, standing for Vintage Rock Series) and is very close to the real thing cosmesticley. It is equiped with a Wilkinson Virato bridge in either chrome or gold depending on the model chosen (chrome in mine). The guitar has only 1 tone Switch for both pickups, 1 volume control and a three way toggle Switch, the latter is located in a position where it cannot be knoked while playing, unlike that of a Strat. The tuners are Wilkinson E-Z lock and are positioned in a way so that the strings are almost dead straight when they pass through, which cuts down of friction. The guitar comes with nothing but a wammy bar. // 9

Sound: This guitar is equiped with 2 Wilkinson covered humbuckers, which sound awesome with a bit of distortion on them it is definatly a guitar for the wannabe santana fans, or anyone who like their guitar to be loud. You may think becasue this guitar has fairly simple wiring (conventional tone and volume controls with a three way selector Switch) it would be fairly limiting for clean sound, but it gives out a sweet, clear sound when played clean. It is perfectly sufficient for a plump, smooth jazz tone and has a certian bounce about it. It is not, however, anyware near as nice sounding as its much more expemsive brother, but is still high up on the list for this price range. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: For me the action was perfect, not to high not to low, there was a little buzz on it at first, but that disappeared the more I played it. The pickups were configured properly, they flowed well (as humbuckers should) and they were well set for the purpose they would be needed for. Rock! Mine had a very small dent in the neck pickup which was not a major problem, but the jack input was loose and actually came off the guitar when I pulled the cable out. But this was sorted by the shop techie and he even delivered it back to my house himslef when he did it. The only other thing was the covers in the back of the guitar, they had not been smoothed down so they looked untidy, but that was sorted witha bit of enry cloth and elbow grease. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definatly withstand live playing. I'm not saying go all 'The Who' on its ass, but it is light and easy to play. The finish is quite durable and has definatly lasted (you can barely see any scratches that so appear). The buttons are very good, but I would still recomend usong strap locks on them, just in case. This guitar is very reliable, I have played it for 3 hours soldily and it has not even slipped once. it's still goin strong after hundreds of hours of playing. The plastic toggle Switch end may break (I replaced mine with a metal one after someone bashed the case and broke it). // 9

Overall Impression: This is my rock/ jazz guitar at the moment and it is perfectly capable of playing both at any volume. I have been playing fot 7 years and I also own an Ovation applause, a Santiago classical, a prosound BA-75 amp, a Korg AX1500G effects board and a custom built Strat copy. If the guitar were stolen or lost I would probably save up some more meny and buy a Telecaster. I love the look and the sound, I'm not amazed by the fact that if your not carfull it sounds like your playin' with elastic bands. My favourite part is the Vintage inlay on the 12th fret, simply becasue its different (not a fan of the dots). I compared it with a few other guitars that were a little less and a little moe money, but this one sounded the best and looked the best out of the 4 or 5 others I tried. The only thing I wish it had with it would be a second tone button so I could get a wider range of sounds. // 10

VRS100 Reviewed by: tommilee, on april 20, 2006

Purchased from: Mel-Tone

Features: Made in 2004 I think but I don't know where it was made probably America. It has 24 frets which is useful for annoying the neibours. it has a laminated finish all over except the fred board obveously. Rosewood fingerboard with abalone dot inlays. The neck is made from maple wood and the body from Eastern Poplar with a flamed top. Wrap over bridge. You get 1 volume control and 1 tone control and a 3-way selector for the pickups. Wilkinson Double Coil x 2 (N)MWVC (B)MWVC pickups. // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect for what I play. You can play overdrive on this guitar and it sound exactly how you want it however when you use the " whao-Bar" it slightly sets the guitar out of tune so I tend not to use that. I play anything from greenday to Slipknot and this guitar is well suited. I am using it mainly with a 30W Marshall amp but ocasionally a 100W Marshall amp, I have a Boss Overdirve/Distortion Pedal and a Boss Metal Zone pedal which I use all the time. The guitar sounds best on the bridge pickup with full tone, if the tone is off the sound is low and distorted so keep the tone on. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly set up for any type of playing at the factory although I did have to send it in for repair because the volume knob fell off. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing although the strap buttons need tightning every now and then because they come loose, the best tip for that is to super-glue the screws into the body and that way the won't come loose for a while. The hardware does seem it will last a while I've had mine for nerly a year and its almost just like when I got it. I would not use it at a gig without back up because I am always prepared for the worst even if I didn't think it would fail on me I would still take a backup. The finish won't last too long I can see it lasting another 6 months before it Starts to wear off. // 9

Overall Impression: As I have said I play anything from Green Day to Slipknot and the guitar plays all the music perfectly. I have been playing for a year now an this was my first guitar and its my favorite, I also have a Hohner Les Paul Copy and a Yamaha electro-acoustic which I play on a regular basis. If this guitar was stolen of lost I would go out and buy 2 more one just like this and a copy of a Gibson SG I love them guitars! I like everything about this guitar it suits me perfectly. My favorite part os the 12th fret marker its different to any other marker I've seen. I can't think of anything else I would want this guitar to have it has everything I need. // 10

VRS100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2008

Features: Been playing guitar about 2 years, I'm a fast learner however. I don't know what wood any of it but I'm pretty sure the head is maple. it has a simple volume/tone knobs with a 3-way selector switch, and a removable tremelo. The main body has a lovely shape to it and looks awesome on stage, light reflects off of the main body and it looks brilliant. However it is an absolute fingerprint magnet. It comes with Wilkinson hardware, which in my experience is very reliable and easy to use. // 9

Sound: It's an extremely versatile guitar, I play mainly blues, classic rock and metal, and it covers all of them brilliantly. Not much else to say, I use it with a Big Muff distortion pedal which it sounds great through, however it sounds a bit nicer through clean, but works great for all of them. I tend to use the bridge pickup most of the time but the neck pickup is fantastic for more melodic stuff. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it for 40 pounds off ebay, had an enormous amount of fret buzz and a few scratches etc. then I took it to my local guitar shop and got it set up, and it completely erased all my doubts. It did however, look completely stunning, the finish and paintwork on the main body is the best out of any guitar I've ever owned. It looks wonderful. Pickups were adjusted fine, no complaints with anything. It has quite a thin neck (for my hands anyway, which are huge), is shreddable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped this onto the road, it's been run over by a car, I've scraped it along the edge of a stage, I hit someone over the head with it once, spilt a large amount of solvents and assorted beverages on it and it's still stayed in perfect nick. The only things that suffer is a few scratches, which are barely noticeable. The finish still looks fantastic after all of that. I would and have used it in a gig without backup. The only problems are if I have it so the head is pointing vertically upwards, it falls off the straps, I suspect that's my strap though. // 10

Overall Impression: I own much more expensive guitars than this, some in the region of 2000, and this is still my main guitar. It's survived so much and still sounds wonderful. If it were stolen I would go out and buy another one straight away. and the best part is I only paid 47 quid in total for it. Highly recommend it. // 10

VRS100 Reviewed by: TheFamousCow, on april 19, 2012

Features: Not sure what year it was made in however it is the more recent models of this guitar as it doesn't have the coil tap that other reviewers have noted. Aside from that this guitar looks amazing and beautiful with its flame maple green finish, gold hardware and 24 frets. Every bit of hardware on this guitar made by Wilkinson which I will talk more about later. As for the controls it simply has one volume and tone knob and a 3 way pick up selector It also has a fixed string bridge that comes with a tremolo. Its overall a shameless copy of a the much more expensive PRS guitars with its modern look and classic Vintage oldschool features. // 8

Sound: This guitar can cover all kinds of styles. On a clean setting on my trusty Peavey Bandit 112 the bridge pickup is extremely bright and snappy with plenty of bite. Surprisingly goes well for country as its got a bit of a twang. Putting the pick up selector in the middle section gives a incredible mellow sounds that's great for all kinds of rhythm and lead work which is one of my favourite tones I have achieved from this guitar as its well balanced by being warm but not overly bassey and fruity yet not to bright. The third position of the pick up selector sounds alot liek the previous one before still mellow yet just sounds darker with a slight output increase. Plugging this into my Vox AC15VR on the clean channel with the normal volume cranked up to about 7 to create an overdrive effect the bridge pick ups really barks and sounds sharp making it great for some classic hard rocking riffage. In the middle position the guitar sounds warmer yet grittier and is great for some dirty blues. The neck position makes the leads sound creamy but chords are involving the bass strings often sound muffled and muddy Going back to my Bandit on the high gain setting the bridge pick up produces alot of gain that is great for modern metal/hardcore. there's great sustain on other as powerchords ring out and leads scream. Toning the treble down a bit saturates the sound making it sound bigger which makes palm muted break downs sound brutal and more hard hitting. I never use the guitars middle and neck position at this setting as it can make everything sound muddy. The guitar is quite noisey at this setting but that maybe down to the grounding in the house or the fact I'm playing in my bedroom most of the time. I am generally surprised about the fruity clean tones to the beefy exciting distorted tones the Wilkinson pickups produce on this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up of the guitar out the box was great except for a string was broken but other then it was great and always has been working fine. As I said before all the hardware is made by Wilkinsons. At first it didn't seem like a great thing but I was surprised about how the quality of it. The guitar can stays in tune very well and the finish is flawless. My only complaint though lies in the tremolo, it can send the entire guitar out of tune within a few pushes/pulls. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig but I do believe this guitar can with stand live performances although you may want a back up anyway because you never know! The hard ware is solid expect for the input jack which was the seems to fall lose often and needs constant screwing back up. The finish on the body seems like it wont wear off as long as you take care of it. Overall I can see this guitar lasting for a long while in the future with only some maintenance and repairs. // 7

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music from metal to reggae and this guitar does them all and does it greatly. I've been playing for 4 and a half years now and this is one of the most favourite guitars due to its how versatile it is and the quality tones it makes. I do wish it had a coil tap like the older versions of this guitar had as it would open up even more tonal possibilities that this guitar already has alot of. Its something I would definitely buy again. I brought this guitar because I really wanted a PRS but simply could not afford so I got this instead and it may not be as good and has a few differences but its still a great guitar that is a shameless copy of a real a PRS especially when you consider the price. // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013