VS6AW Review

9.3
reviews (2) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
VS6AW Reviewed by: jjaw, on june 29, 2009

Price paid: € 250

Features: Seeing as it was (according to the german Vintage guitars website: Vintage-rocks.de) only released this year I take it was made in 2009, but I sadly don't know where. This Guitar has 22 "medium-Jumbo" Frets, a Rosewood Fretboard on a Mahogony Set neck, scale: 24.75". The SG shaped Body is also made from mahogony, which isn't that common at this price. It is Finished in "arctic white", has a black scratchboard and pickup holders, and the Hardware is Gold. The Bride is a, for this type of guitar, normal Tune o matic style bride (made by wilkinson), the non locking tuners are Wilkinson WJ44s and the ceramic Pick ups are Wilkinson MWVC Humbuckers. You may have noticed, all the hardeware is by wilkinson, seeing as Trev Wilkinson started Vintage. Quite a great extra, seeing as he owns both companies you get better hardware, than you would usually, find at this price. The VSAW has a normal 3-way selektor for pups and one tone and volume control each. Besides a trussrod andjustment key, there was nothinh in the box besides the guitar, cardboard polystyrene and the little salt pack - in other words, no extras. // 9

Sound: Until now I've always been more of a metal PLayer (my own stuff rather than covers) but I decided to buy this guitar of my mate (wehn he offered it to) to help me expand my playing abilities into directions such as rock and blues. So far so good, I'm enjoying playing various AC/DC Riffs etc and also improvising solos, and I believe I have improved (probably just because I'm doing it more now) I've played It through an Orange Tiny Terror, Marshall JCM 800 and my home practice amp from Cheri (r15 or something similar). If I want more OD than the amp can Deliver I use my Marshall Jackhammer to add power. The clean sound is a bit thinner than I expected on the Bridge pick up, but very round and full on the neck. If you add distorion or overdrive the neck and bridge equal out a bit in terms of fullness. I personall ywould have loved a slightly more powerfull pick up at th bridge but I can happily live with the mwvc. The tone knobs do their job well making noticable diffrences to the sound, giving rounder or brighter, slightly more aggressive sounds. so in short: it is great for what it is intended and with the Jackhammer I can play Metal at the lower ends of distorion tolerance. No unwanted sound or noise so far. The pups also seem quite low on feedback, seeing as I got none what so ever when I tore the pre amp and Master volume all the way up on the JCM 800. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know If this guitar had an "extra" set up compared to the ones you buy (as mention before I got it of a friend that won it.), but the way it was set up was okay. Low action and no string noise (or what ever it is called whed you can hear the strings slapping against the frets further up the neck). I put the action down a bit more, sadly resulting in a bit of said string noise, but only when listening to the guitar its self, you can't hear it through the amps. Now I have super low action and resultig great play-ability. The top fret acces is great, thanks to the neck transition at only about the 21. fret, and good cut-outs. The first time I played the guitar, I remember just going up and down the neck with my hand while talking to my friend. When I had my hand right at the top of the neck I was wondering why, din't the put an extra 2 frets on here? Even with 24 frets the neck would be compfy all the way, and access would be good! The lackered neck, although not to thick, isn't the fatest, so it probably wouldn't appeal to shred-heads. It's nice for just "grooving" and also for chords ("Standard" and Barr). I couldn't find any actual flaws but the stock strings were... bad, and snapped on the first day, but the d'addarios I have on there now fine, so it was no fault of the guitar itself. I raised the bridge pickup slightly to improve gain, and I'm happy with the result. "only" 7 points here for not beeing set up quite perfectly, bad strings and not using up all the potetial of the neck. Sadly the guitar is quite top heavy - but apparentl ythats normal with SGs or SG style guitars. // 7

Reliability & Durability: So Far It has withstood everything I've thrown at it and although I haven't played It live and probably won't, at least not with the people I usually play with (mainly metal lovers) I expect It would cope nicely. The hardware seems reliable although I'm not sure about how long the gold'll stay shiney. - But that is the least of my worries. As for the strap buttons, can't beat stap locks, but for the stock buttons they're great. I think you can depend on it, seeing as everything is wired and soldered cleanly. The only reason I wouldn't play this live with out a backup unless there is no other option, is the same reason I wouldn't play any guitar Live without backup. Changing stings mid-set - couldn't be bothered! The finish seems quite thick and I don't think it would wear easily but If it does - I wouldn't be bothered - I like a slightly used look. // 9

Overall Impression: For my newly discovered love of playing rock and blues this guitar is Top! I've been playing guitar for about two years and I have loads of bits and bobs, it's not worth listing them all. I don't think there was anything to ask besides wether I can test before I buy. You don't get offered a Brand New guitar for 90 off the list price everyday, so It was a no brainer to take the guitar once I decided that I liked the way It plays. I found out yesterday that the street price is about 290 but I'm still 40 beneath that, so I'm not going to complain. If you're wondering why my friend wanted to sell the guitar if it is "so good" the reason is simple. His style has changed a lot to what it used to be (and when he owned the previously mention Gibson) and he only plays Strat now. there for the guitar was no use to him. I don't plan on losing this guitar but If it were stolen I'd be rather p*ssed. I'd see if I couild get a new one through insurance ( depending on where it was nicked from and what the situation was, if there is any insurance... ) And if not and I decided it was worth paying for a "home and fun" guitar again, I'd probably go for the same model or the Les Paul version. I love how easy it is to jam on this, and how compfy it is. I hate the 24.75" scale, because when I do play metal I rarely hit the pinchspots for pinchharmonics straight of - all other guitars I have or have played are 25.5" I chose this guitar, because it was all I was offered but when I heard the price was a Vintage I looked them up and this was one of the once that caught my eye so I'm happy. I've played many guitars (real cheapos, Cort, Gibson, Fender, Washburn, Epiphone etc.) and I don't think you can get a better guiatar at this price in this category, but that is my opinion and I could be proven wrong. Feature wise this guitar is as complete as it will get, but I must get a case for it (or a well padded gig bag) but that is nothing to do with the guitar. If you want a good guitar at a low price, and you're not into extreme distortion, but prefer light(er) distortion (or you want a guitar to help you improve you're stings in these directions): go for it. // 9

VS6AW Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 07, 2010

Purchased from: Musicland (Canterbury, England)

Features: This guitar was made within the last two years (post 2008) but I don't know exactly when or where. It's a 22 medium-jumbo fret mahogany SG style guitar with a rosewood fretboard and a through-neck. It had a tune-o-matic bridge and all gold Wilko's hardware. It has two PAF pickups, two volume and tone switches and a three-way pickup switch. It's finished in this cool creamy white colour and has a black 3-ply pickguard which all looks awesome. I got this guitar new but I didn't get any trimmings, just the guitar, as I already had all the kit at home from my last guitar which broke (long and gruesome story). All in all, really good // 10

Sound: I play a bunch of styles. I play indy, rock, punk and occasionally mixed with both country, blues and metal, I try it all =D. It suits all the styles well as long as you change the tone settings etc. It works for pretty much anything you can throw at it. I play it through a Zoom G1X effects pedal and normally feed it into some computer speakers although I have a Peavey Blazer 158 amp, but the speaker is a bit run down and crummy. It sounds really nice whatever settings I use on it. It sounds great, you can get really bright and twangy sounds on the bridge pickup and really warm and rich tones on rhythm. Putting them together makes an awesome combo which can light up any song and makes for a really great sound. You can really make this scream if you want it to, but it is just as home cutting out some quiet and clean little licks and chords. Great all round. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It is finished in this really cool creamy white which looks really good with the gold hardware and black pickguard. I haven't had to change a thing on this guitar and it all holds together nicely. The action is great and it plays(and sounds) better than stuff twice as expensive. The only things I've had to do to this guitar since the time I bought it was tighten a slightly loose screw holding the pickguard in place and buy a new top string when I overplucked it. No problems here. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played gigs with this guitar without a backup and i have had no problems whatsoever. The strap has never failed me and the hardware is solid and dependable. It still looks like new. I took it into the shop to buy a new string for it and the guy said it looked just like new, so the finish is certainly holding. Absolutely no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: It will take anything I ask of it and it has never failed me. It has never troubled me or been unkind to me. It sounds amazing. If it was stolen or lost then I'd look for another one because it is the best guitar for this kind of money. It will last a long time and I don't plan to let it go until it just doesn't work. The only fault I have in it is the jack, I wish it wasn't on the top of the body like with all SG's, it's not exactly a problem, but I'd rather it were on the side like a tele or a les paul. It is the best guitar I've played for sure. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go play it. // 10

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013