VS6CG Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 08/03/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: VS6CG
Light and stylish, this exciting guitar with its twin horn cutaway looks has twin double coil pickups, each with its own volume and tone controls, 3-way pickup selector and Tune-O-Matic bridge layout. With a mahogany body and neck and featuring genuine rock solid, set-neck construction, the VS6 has attitude and ability in plenty.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 8.4
reviews (3) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
VS6CG Reviewed by: AngusDewd, on december 05, 2003

Purchased from: Abbey Music, Arbroath

Features: This is a Vintage SG copy with gold Hardware Probably made in Korea or China. It has 22 frets Typical SG features here Double humbucker two volume two tone. Three way Selector. Body's Made of Mahogany With a Glued in Maple/Mahogany neck not to sure probably maple with tune-o-Matic bridge. Decent machine heads. Has a crap nut which causes buzzes which will get replaced when I have the dosh. Could do with higher output pickups but for the price its brilliant // 10

Sound: I play a vareity of stuff Bit of Blues, Metal probably best described as hard rock. This guitar does it well but it will probably rule with better pickups. I am using it with an old HH amp with a metal zone and a zoom player 2100 but its normally just Guitar > Metal zone> HH. It does produce feedback but if you stop the strings ringing when not playing it goes away. not as bad as my Squier Telecaster // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up at the shop with 10's. Me being used to 9s found it good to bend because of the shorter scale. The finish is a great blood red transparent red finish very dark colour. Darked than the chrome hardware version. You can see the grain Definatly not plywood. The Nut is a plastic heap of junk that causes the low E the buzz rapidly. Will replace it soon. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. The Gold Hardware is already wearing off on the pickups after one or two weeks of playing but that is to be expected. The strap buttons seem ok enough to me. I could use it in a gig without a backup ass it does not have a floyd. // 8

Overall Impression: This is great for my style and since my real name is Angus I had to have an SG. I was originally looking for a les paul but there was only an SG but its great. Its Neck Heavy but thats because of the design. If someone stole it I'd buy another one definatly unless I can afford a real Gibson. I want to keep this guitar until I die and I'm 14 now. // 10

VS6CG Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2010

Features: Alright features, two volumes, two tones, double humbuckers, lovely light and well crafted body. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing outstanding either. // 7

Sound: It sounds really quite nice, suprisingly it seems to suit almost any style; blues, rock, metal, indie, jazz. You name it, I've tried it, and it sounds damn nice. Its more suited to my main tastes such as grunge though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everythign was set up almost perfectly except the action. It was slightly too low so I got alot of fretbuzz, but its an easy fix. I've had this guitar for years and the finish is still great, no real complaints, just the action. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has withstood about 3 gigs I think and rigorous practicing over the past 5-6 years or so. The stap buttons are still solid after years of playing, the switches and such all seem to been fitted reasonably well, with the exception of the glue that holds on one of my volume knobs has now worn off, so it can fall off at times. Other than that, no complaints. // 9

Overall Impression: Great, great guitar, especially for its price too. Sounds great, suprisingly versatile, looks fantastic and I would highly recommend this to anyone from beginners to pros. // 9

VS6CG Reviewed by: ilikekfc, on august 03, 2012

Purchased from: gear4music

Features: This is the basic SG setup with two volume, two tones, two humbucking pickups and 3 way switch. It has the basic tune-o-matic bridge by Wilkinson and stop tail piece. I do not know when it was made but I would say it was sometime around 2008, I know it was made in Korea. It has it has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard on a mahogany neck glued to a mahogany body. It has standard Wilkinson tuning keys. // 8

Sound: The sound could be better, it has a very good distortion rhythm sound but when you try and play lead on distortion it sounds messy, its not bad but just could be better. When you try and play it through the clean channel, its a bit muffled, it doesn't sustain very well and it is very sensitive to touch. I play through a Vox AC 15 VR. I mainly play classic rock and it sounds fine at times but then it will sound week. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where it is just in a league of its own. The finish on this guitar is amazing for the price range. The paint job has been done brilliantly, I have had it for about 3 years, gigged with it and it still hasn't got a single mark on it. When I got it, it's action wasn't to bad when I got it but I got it set up by a pro and now its a super comfortable guitar to hold and play. There was no flaws when I got it, the only problem I have with the finish is the gold hardware, it fades away very quickly, but what do you expect, its a budget guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used it live and there was no problems with it at all, I would still take a back up, becouse you never know when bad look will strike, but it can definately with stand it. The hardware seems to be really reliable, I don't think I will ever have to change any hardware on it. The finish is gonna last for a very long time, but like I said the gold seems to waer of quickly. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall impression for me is, what a bargain, its a solid guitar and I'm sure changing the pickups will sort the sound issue. If you are a beginner or even a more advanced player, this is a great guitar to have in your inventory. If it was stolen I would definitely be very very angry and probably go and buy another, maybe check out the black one or the lighter one but I would go for another Vintage VS6. I choose this one because it has such an impressive build quality, I tried it against some others and they just seemed week but this one felt like it will take so beating. // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013