Wraith Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 05/07/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Vintage: Wraith
With an aggressively individual look that definitely takes no prisoners, it's an extremely versatile and toneful guitar. Featuring a 24 fret fingerboard and deep, solid wood contoured body with a luxuriously-patterned quilted or flamed maple top (and matching headstock facing), the Wraithÿ offers up-market, set-neck construction for rock solid tones.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 8.3
reviews (4) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Wraith Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2005

Purchased from: Gear4music.com

Features: Stated I have seen it should be 2 hum buckers and a single coil, however upon purchase it only came with 2 humbuckers, oh well it still makes a mean crunch. Whatever is "staggered pole pickups" makes it unnessasryly howl roundy at sum points, less I turn down e volume v quickly or Switch to bridge pickup but it seems to be fine when not surrounded with electronic equipment. 24 frets, however bit tricky to use above around 21, the thumb starts to get stuck on the join at the neck to body but the fingers can still reach n bend e 24th. The floating bridge took me a while to get used to it but I got it sorted by a guitar techie music lesson guy n so the action is confortable and the intonention is fine, after pulling the whammy bar down it doesn't go back into tune by itself very well, it becomes rather flat, I gotta pull the whammy bar back to strewtch e strings back into tune. The whammy bar hole thing is a bit wobbly but it can be tightened by sumhow I think. The finish is quite nice and smooth, it's not pure black its got shimmery wood lines down it which look cool but u gotta be up close to see it. The floyed rose locking unit works good too but don't make my mistake and lock them too tight, allready fryed one of the things had to replace it. Also it comes with a cool allen key holder on the back of the headstock, it holds 2 and comes with it, one is for undoing the floyed rose and looseing the strings at the floating bridge the other doesn't seem to serve any purpose, it doesn't fit anything on the guiar. Also - Wilkinson dual humbuckers are nice n toasty for crunchy riffs, sounds awsome on bridge pickup and full of a body of sound on neck. // 8

Sound: I use a MG10 Marshall, MG30 Marshall. I don't care what people say about thre MG's but I use em and it sounds mighty fine to me. I mostly use bridge pickup, it seems to not howl round as much and the riff ain't so muffled sounding more crunchy. Good soloing, great rythum, good tapping. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There's a little carboard square which states it was all checked by sum guy, theirs lists of. Action, intonection ect and there's little ticks next to them, then signed by sum guy. It was fine when I got it but not quite right, I still needed the bridge springs to be tightened to get the strings to stay in tune n the intonection correct. Also the guy who sorted it for me says their shud be 3 springs holding on the bridge in the back but their was only 2, this means they are under a lot more tension than they shud be mite have to get another string and fit that onto it, if it decides to be awkward n always go out of tune. Also when I got it their was hole kicked into the back and all the stryphone protect stuff was all smashes up, thankfully the guitar was ok but it hadn't had a nice trip. // 8

Reliability & Durability: With its rather awkward shape its taken a few hits to certain corners, mainly the headstock and bottom of the body but its still fine, its in fine condiction but if I was to play on stage I wud take along a spare mainly cus if anything did go wrong EG broke a string, it wud be a hassle to get it fixed in time EG that strings gonna be going out of tune for a while till it stretches, silly floating bridge. // 8

Overall Impression: It's awsome for metal. Played around 2 years, I use Marshall MG's. if it were stolen I`' get another, this is my guitar mine I say! It's sweet but ahhrg, every time I pull down the whammy bar it'll go flat, unless I pull the strings to stretch em again. I also had my eye on a mockingbird but decided on this and other ppl liked this one more as well plus u gotta pay lot more for a good mockingbird, n I played a Mockinbird recently and it was ok but I much prefer my Wraith. I wish it came with strap locks fitted on it. // 10

Wraith Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Purchased from: Stagebeat

Features: In terms of what you get for your money this axe absolutely rules! For around 200C, you get an official floyd rose trem bridge, two Wilkinson humbuckers and hardware and possibly the most outrageously evil looking instrument ever made. It comes with a five way pickup selector Switch, two dials - one volume and one tone, a full 24 fret neck and your choice of either a cool 3D effect black woodgrain finish or red with a pattern that looks something like hot coals (I personally recommend the black though, 'cause the red looks rubbish). // 8

Sound: I play a lot of loud and heavy stuff but my style can be Iron Maiden one day and Cradle Of Filth the next, so I'm pretty flexible. This guitar looks like something either Mick Thompson from Slipknot or Blackie Lawless from W.A.S.P would use so if you're on stage, people would expect some seriously heavy and dark riffage. I use mine with a Line 6 Spider II 112 via a DigiTech RP80 pedal, and although the bridge pickup on it's own gives a great sound, the other pickup combinations are sort of similar and none of them sound that good. It's as if someone turned all the tone down then yanked off the dial, but the bridge pickup and a tiny bit of neck pickup (selector Switch in last but one position) gives a cool acoustic sound, as if it were a low tuned mandolin. There is a hellofalotof buzz noise when you're not touching the strings as well. The floyd rose trem bar really is sweet though, it's the first trem system I've used which can loosen and tighten the strings, giving some really cool sound effects, but because most of the pickups are rubbish to hear it with, it's again, only any good with the bridge pickup. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar brand new, and although it had been on display in the shop for a while, there were no marks or scratches on it. The strings were fitted and tuned almost to perfection and every nut was done up nice and tight. The pickups and bridge were set up to give just the right amount of room between the neck and strings but not enough for any fretbuzz. If needs be, you can tune up the bridge and pickup positions with a couple of alan keys screwed to the back of the headstock. There is almost complete silence when you're not playing anything and just switching pickups or adjusting volumes and tones, so there's no problem with the electrics, there is, as I mentioned before, a very loud buzz when you aren't touching the strings though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about two months and I absolutely love it. But it took me just two days to realise that this fancy piece of kit is the most fragile thing in the history of the six-string. The day I bought it, I was halfway thorugh the solo from 'Raining Blood' when the screw holding the trem bar to the bridge came loose, making it difficult to do fast trem effects without getting a loud rattle. Although you can, as I did, open up the guitar and screw it back up, but don't expect it to be done within the hour and don't expect the trem to work properly ever again. Every time you now use the trem, it comes loose agin, no matter how softly you use it. Another problem is the black laquer finish, if you so much as touch it in the wrong way, it rubs off revealing the wood underneath. Even in a padded gig bag the effect is noticable. The worst thin however, is tryingto retune it when the strings have been changed. The strings can be put in fine but after that, I suggest you take it to a specialist, the strings just won't stay in tune when tuning it up. For example, if you tune the low E string to a low E and think "job done," when you've retuned the other strings, it would've dropped to a Db. The reason is because the floyd rose system dictates that the strings and the trem springs need to be at equal tensions, and since it only comes with two springs instead of the usual three, that is very dfficult to do. I haven't taken it to any gigs yet but as long as a string doesn't snap, it should last long enough. // 4

Overall Impression: I've only been playing for two years but that's enough for me to know a good guitar when I see one and this isn't one. Okay, so it suits me down to the ground, sounds cool and really leaves an impression but to live with it and nurse it better when it decides to throw a sickie, it just doesn't cut it. But if you own a guitar that looks that f--ing cool, who cares? // 6

Wraith Reviewed by: SoAK, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Ace Tones - London

Sound: The Wraith is perfect for my music style, as I play a lot of metal, I enjoy playing thinks like Slipknot and System Of A Down. The bridge humbucker by itself is good for a really heavy sound, especially with the volume and tone at maximum, although it does have a lot of feedback on this setting. The Wraith works well with my amp, a Crate GT15R, and I can't wait to hook it up to something bigger. The neck pickup is good for a nice clean sound, very good for songs like Vermillion Part 2 and a lot of SOAD stuff. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first tried out this guitar at the shop, there was a problem with the action, however, this was easily fixed. The pickups were well adjusted and there were no other problems. One potential problem, however, is that when you try to tune the guitar too low, such as Slipknot tuning (B-F#-B-E-G#-C#), the strings rattle against the intonation screws, causing an irritating buzz. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar very long, but it seems very solid and I would trust it to hold up during a gig. The strap buttons are solid and don't need tightening like the ones on my old guitar (a Yamaha Pacifica 112) did, and the finish looks good so far. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great metal guitar, it really looks stunning and sounds distinctive. I have only been playing for about 2 years, but this guitar feels so comfortable that I can play more confidently than I could with my old guitar, it's centre of gravity is closer to the neck than that of my old guitar, so the neck tends to slip down when playing standing up, but it's easy to get used to. If I lost this guitar or it was stolen, I would either get another one, or get the Vintage Warp, which is from the same series as the Wraith, as it feels and sounds very similar. My favourite thing about the Wraith is the shape, it looks like you could chop someones head off with it, in a good way! // 9

Wraith Reviewed by: heavens cloud, on may 07, 2009

Purchased from: http://www.guitarbitz.com/

Features: Body: Eastern Poplar Top: Flame Maple Neck: Maple Set Neck Fingerboard: Rosewood Scale: 25.5"/648mm Frets: 24 Neck Inlays: Pearloid Dot/ Vintage 12th Fret Inlay Tuners: Wilkinson WJ07 Vibrato: Floyd Rose Double Locking Pickups: Wilkinson Double Coil x 2 (N) WMSH (B) WMSH Hardware: Satin Chrome (HBF) Satin Black (BRQ) Controls: 1 x Volume/ 1 x Tone/ Super 5-Way Lever Accessories: Hex Key Headstock Holder No bag included. // 9

Sound: The sound is fantastic. Suited for hard rock and metal. Excellent for tapping. Works great with 'wammy-ing harmonics' I use mine with a Line 6 Spider III 30 watt amp. I also ocationally use a Vox Wah Pedal. After almost a year of using this guitar heavily there is still no noticible feedback or static in the amp. This guitar has took a few knocks but still no change to the sound. Extremily durable and reliable. I tend to use this with my amp to produce all sorts of sounds. I particuarly like the heavy sounds (Metallica: Master of Puppets, Bullet for My valentine: Scream Aim Fire, Killswitch Engage: Holy Diver, etc) as well as clean sounds (Metallica: Master of Puppets, Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication, Hammerfall: Dreams Come True) The only negative comment I can make is after a year of use, I am starting to notice a very minor buzz on the low e string. I belive this is sut general wear and tear, it can be repaired easily. Here is a quick demonstration. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I firs recieved this guiatr is was dammaged (a minor chip in the body). I put this down to the delivery service because the box also has a hold inthe same place. Service was great and htey replaced it within the week. I have found no flaws in this guitar since I purchased it a year ago. I purchased the Helms Black Flame version. (Please note this is not plain black as some images seem to portray). The Jack socket is now reluctant to take a lead for the amp but again I put this down to wear and tear, this guitar has took some major abuse. This minor flaw has no effect on the sound. The finish is ideal and is very scratch resistant. On a slighly more personal note this guitar looks like it would be uncomfortable to use in a sitting position. However it is shaped perfectly in my opinion for most stances. I personally prefer this to a Stratocaster or and Acoustic in siting position. It is a bit of a pain to find a case and guitar stand for it. I reccomend finding a a large case for it. I currently use a soft tribal planet case. I belive it may be a bass guitar case. It does the job though. All of the hardware remains perfectly intact. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As far as duribility goes, this thing is a beast. It has too ka few knocks over the months and has came off unscathed. It is extremily sturdy. The only thing that could let you down on this guitar is an unexpected string snapping. This has happened a few times whilst tuning the guitar. But I put this down to my aggresive approach. This usually only happens if the strings arn't warmed up and happens no more often than it did with my previous guitar. Overall a dependible guitar, but don't forget a spare set of strings. Never had a single problem with connecting it to an amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and rock with the occational clean section, often in these songs. I have been playing just over a year. I own a Line 6 Spider III and a Vox Wah Pedal. I must note the tremolo system does say 'Licenced by Floyd Rose'. This does not mean it is an offical Floyd Rose product, jsut that is has been apporved by Floyd Rose. This tends to happen with cheaper guitars. Despite this I have had no problems with it. I have had a fair bit a time playing with a friends Schecter Syn Custom (cost 900). If my guitar was stolen of lost I wouldn't hesitate buying another one. Easily worth the 180. The main points I love about this guitar is firstly the looks. The thing is a beast and looks like it needs a concealed weapons licence to carry it in my case. The second thing I love is hte value for money. I great guitar for it's price. The only thing I dislike about htis guitar is that I cannot find a case to fit it perfectly. As far as I know, Vintage have not released a case exclusivly for this product. // 9

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013