A20V Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 01/05/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: A20V
I play mostly Classic Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz etc and I can get a great sound for all of those genres, it is fairly versatile. This is a perfect guitar for the music I play, I love it!
 6.7
 4.4
review (1) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
A20V Reviewed by: asmithgdci, on january 05, 2012

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: Private Owner

Features: I have an all original 1981 Washburn A20-V, I bought it a few months ago for $800 (not sure if it is a good price, but to me it's worth much more than that). It was made at the Matsumoku factory in Japan. - 22 frets - Ash body w/ 2 piece flamed maple top - Maple neck; v shaped, 3 piece - Shape is similar to the explorer, but kind of rounded - Strat-style tremolo w/ string-thu-body - 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way pick up selector, coil tap - 2 DiMarzio humbuckers - Washburn non-locking tuners - Brass washer shaped inlays - Brass nut - Original case included // 9

Sound: I play mostly Classic Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz etc and I can get a great sound for all of those genres, it is fairly versatile. When the coils are split it produces a light hum, but that is normal. I enjoy having the coil tapping because I can get a Strat sound without a Strat. It has a nice rich sounding neck pick-up. The sustain is great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The gentleman I bought the guitar from had it set-up great. The action was perfect (still is, as well as the pickups. The guitar is in great shape for being 30 years old. It has a few dings, but nothing extreme. There is also a few slightly rusted screws, nothing really bad. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing. The hardware is in great shape after 30 years so I'm assuming it will last for many years to come. You can absolutely depend on it for gigs without a back-up. I would probably still take a back-up because I am paranoid about breaking a string on stage or something not working. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a perfect guitar for the music I play, I love it! I have been playing for almost 6-years, and I have many other guitars, but this is easily my favourite. If it were lost or stolen, I would try to find another one, but I don't see too many around. I chose this guitar because I love the shape, and the features. Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask questions, Adam. // 9

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX50 7.8 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014