HB35 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 01/22/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: HB35
With split block neck inlays, gold hardware and pickups, the HB 35 looks as good as it sounds. This maple hollowbody also features a maple top. A must have for the hollowbody player, offering ultimate sustain, warm tones, and a solid inner-block body construction.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.3
 8.1
 8.5
reviews (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
HB35 Reviewed by: Zamboni, on september 28, 2005

Purchased from: Smart Music

Features: This is a quality guitar, my friends. It's a hollow-body, 22-fretted masterpiece, and it plays beautifully. It has a clear, natural finish, two humbuckers, two volume pots and two tone pots, and a very nice mounted bridge. It came with a beautiful solid case and cables. // 9

Sound: I can play rock, punk, and metal, and turn around and play blues and jazz, and not even change a setting. It's a very versatile instrument and makes no noise whatsoever. The 60 cycle hum on my instrument is nill. A major selling point. It's got a warm, fat tone that is to be expected from a hollow-body, but I mean really warm and fat. This guitar is worth it's weight in gold for its tone alone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: No adjustments needed to be made, it came perfect from the factory. The action is nice and comfortable, not too high or too low, the intonation is perfect, and all the controls and hardware were spotless and shining. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar for many a live show, and it performs every time. All the hardware and strap buttons feel solid, and I depend on it for most of my clean playing. It always shows up and always makes me look good. The finish is beautiful and is solid as a rock. I feel it will last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: For my blues and jazz playing, this guitar is absolutely perfect. But to that end, when I go back to my metal/punk/rock roots, it's also a great match. It can do anything, and does it well. A jack-of-all-trades, and a master at all of them. I've been playing about three years, and have had this guitar for almost a year now, and if it got stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again. This is a world-class guitar. // 10

HB35 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2008

Sound: This guitar can suit many guitar styles. To look at it you may think it's only suited for Rockabilly/Blues, but actually this guitar can outplay many Rock/Hard Rock guitars as it has a very deep and powerful sound. I have played many generes of music on this guitar, such music from Chuck Berry, Hendrix, Iron Maiden, to Lamb Of God, which is a Metal band. The guitar player from this band, Mark Morton has in the past used a semi-acoustic guitar to get the heavy sound they use. The amp I run it through is usually a practice amp, Kustom Solo16R with a 8-inch Celestion speaker. I use a reverb effect with this amp to get full bluesy sounds. The other amp I use is a Crate FW65, which is a amp with many built in effects, such as, wah and, reverb and the Washburn HB35 handels them all nicely with no problem and makes them all sound beautiful. Feedback is very rare with this guitar, people say that hollowbodys usually have trouble with feedback but I have experienced very little. Never have I heard any buzzing from the guitar when plugged in, which I sometimes have trouble with another guitar but the Washburn is very quiet when your not playing it and is plugged in. With it being semi-acoustic getting pinch harmonics can be a little tricky to a novice player and aren't as pronounced as a solidbody but with a bit of gain they are possible. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set-up at the factory was very surprising as it was very nice and clean. No problems with the action, pickups, or hardware. The bridge needed a little work but nothing major, as the routing was a little bouncey but was fixed with no problems. The only problems I had other than that was the tone control for the neck pickup was out of place from the others, as it looked like it had been pushed down on one side, but no problem with it working. Also the Pickup selector was a little loose but nothing major. The bracing was spot on, the fretwire suited my fingers, the finish was perfect, the wood is beautiful, no rust or oxidized hardware, tuning pegs were very stable and comfortable, the nuts were cut nicely, the saddle fit good, and the pickup selector isen't to noisy. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a piece of ART and belongs on stage and would will withstand those long nights of steady playing. The Hardware is gold so sweaty hands isn't to good for it but other than that the hardware is very strong and built to last. The strap buttons are very solid and will hold up through any kind of movement. I would definitely use this guitar as my main without a backup as it is very dependable. The finish is very strong and will last any kind of environment. // 6

Overall Impression: If I had my time back I would of asked how the gold hardware would hold up because the tuning pegs show a little corrosion. Overall I think this is a beautiful guitar and worth the cost because it has shown me that it can play anything, hold up to anything, and do it all in a semi-acoustic way. // 5

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX50 7.8 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014