N2 Review

6.9
reviews (2) pictures (4) 7 comments vote for this gear:
N2 Reviewed by: thecarofmiki, on april 13, 2011

Purchased from: Artist Systems Serbia

Features: This model comes from either China, Indonesia, perhaps Korea. Mine is a 2008 Indonesian made. Way better than the Chinese model (which they also had in the shop), this one has the model, serial number and the Buzz Feiten logo printed on the back of the headstock, and the Washburn Pro backplate. It comes with 22 medium jumbo frets on a fast, yet beefy, bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fretboard. Unpainted or Padauk stained, your choice. I'll talk more about it at the impression paragraph. The body is a slim alder strat. It comes equipped with a Bill Lawrence USA L500 in the Bridge and a Washburn Stock in the neck, with a three way toggle switch and a single volume knob with push-pull ability. The bridge is a licenced Floyd Rose, the tuners are Grover 18-1's. The guitar comes with a gig-bag (which I did not get (thank you, glorious Serbia)), an 8ft cable, one extra spring and (all) three allen wrenches. // 10

Sound: I play modern heavy music and do covers of classical, and this guitar does me justice. I'm running it through a Peavey Vypyr 30. The cable I got with it is rather horrible, probably the most microphonic cable I've ever played. Replacing it with a Fender Vintage, I've gotten the singing trebs and full basses. The BLUSA does need waxing, but, by default, is a beast. Its clean is tailor made for chorus-y backings, its crunch is divine for blues, its lead is powerful and picks up pinch harmonics beautifully. The BLUSA pickups have a tendency to be inconsistently made, so much that I've spent an hour looking for the best outputting one. The Washburn stock, although some may hate it, is great, in my opinion, for classical music. Much as I'd like it to be a '59, I'm in no way dissatisfied by it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set-up from the factory, the action is low but with no fret buzz. I could have gone on stage with it ten minutes after we've unpacked it at the shop. The pickups were at an OK height, But I've since lowered the Bridge pickup bu about 1.5mm (3/50ths of an inch), to eliminate the microphony. The Bridge was arrow straight, but it came equipped with Vinci 'Heavy Metal' strings (9 gauge casts, 10 gauge wounds), so the next string purchase (Fender 10's) required new setup. It's finish is... bad. the frets are unsanded, so the high e string locks itself under frets either 2, 3, or 4. the headstock had a speck of silver on its side, and the headstock paint looks really cheap and badly put on (I've had two chips chip off). The decal is really nice, it has a beautiful relief texture when you go over it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar on many a gigs, and it hasn't yet failed me. The hardware seems sturdy enough, only that I'd replace the nut with a Schaller one. I've had a friend use it with a common strap for a few hours, and it held on it. I, myself, have put DiMarzio straplocks on it. It can serve as the 'only' guitar, as long as you don't change tunings. The trem and nuts don't allow much tuning fluctuation, but again, I'd recommend putting an aftermarket nut on. The paint on the body is good, I haven't made any visible wear-outs on it. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar suits me very much, as it makes me be very precise and accurate (the Floyd doesn't allow for much slacking). The hardware on the red model should have been done in black, but other than that, it's a pretty model. I've been playing it for a full year now, and it hasn't let me down. It's close to a GAodin Redline 3, maybe a bit under. But it's well worth the invested. // 9

N2 Reviewed by: ozzmosis33, on october 05, 2012

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: - Agathise body - Natural finish maple neck - 25.5" scale - Rosewood fingerboard - Dot inlay - 22 jumbo frets - Nut width: 43mm - Bolt on neck - Bridge pickup: L500 Bill Lawrence - Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo system - Chrome hardware - Grover tuners - Available finishes: Vintage Matte, Padauk Satin, Natural Matte. // 9

Sound: When I first got this guitar I was amazed by the sound of it. You can shred on this you can play blues, heck you can play anything from sweet soft bluesy tones to gut ripping black metal. I play this guitar on Laney LX20 without any effects but I also played it on Laney LX65 and Laney Cub 10 (yes I'm a Laney fan deal with it) and it sounds amazing on all of them. The L500 in a bridge brings you amazing dime-like sound. It's just amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: this guitar was perfectly set-up at the factory, which surprised me. The only thing that was a bit annoying was a pickup selector. It was to loose but you can easily fix that. Other than that everything was perfect and I couldn't imagine it being better. It's amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I never gigged with this guitar but I assure you it would withstand live playing. This guitar feels like it's made out of f--king titanium. I dropped it several times but nothing not even a scratch. It would withstand a nuclear war not some "easy" live playing. // 8

Overall Impression: So in the end I'm going to say that this guitar is a beast. If it was stolen I'd hunt down the motherf--ker who stole it and I'd torture him and then I'd take my guitar back because I love it so much. It amazes me day by day and I was surprised that such a cheap guitar can be so amazing. I really recommend it to anyone who wants to shred and play heavy riffs but I also recommend it to blues players because it really has a nice clean sound. // 9

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX50 7.8 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014