OX Review

reviews (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
OX Reviewed by: stickx n pickx, on november 07, 2008

Price paid: C$ 230

Purchased from: Academy of Music

Features: It has 24 frets, solid body, 1 volume and 1 tone control. Includes Washburn tuner and 5 watt amplifier, strap, whammy bar, cable and leather case. The 3 pick ups that came with it sound amazing even if I don't know what brand they are. No real speical features on this guitar. // 5

Sound: For the price you pay you get quite a great deal. This guitar sounds like a guitar 3 or 4 times the price with the right amp. I recommend anyone looking for a starter guitar for practicing at home. It is not quite gig worthy but I believe you will be quite impressed with the sound. It has bright, cheery tones and can get great distortion as well. I use a Peavey Valve King 212 Amplifier and it sounds great. Moreover, this guitar can play everything from blues to heavy metal to a certain extent. The volume control on the guitar doesn't affect the overall volume that much so I usally just play it on 10. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I have not changed a thing except for the strings once since I got this guitar a year ago so the set up when I got it was good. The pick ups were good, and the strings were almost in tune, which isn't really that important but it was supprising. The only flaws I find in the finish is that the 20-24 fret are quite mashed together and hard to get your fingers in there to make a clear sound. Other than that the nut inside the input jack comes loose a lot and cause some odd sounds and weird noises. Finally, it is totally red, not the most exciting or vibrant thing in the world but quite acceptable. It leaves few finger prints and a low amount of scratches. // 6

Reliability & Durability: If you for some odd reason to use this guitar Live, it would be able to handle most of what you can dish out. I have banged, dinged, dropped, dented, smashed, spilled stuff on, slept on (and I'm heavy), bit, punched, and a whole lotta other stuff too and not a single noticable disfigurement without a magnifying glass. it's a stury guitar that I'd like to see someone be able to break in half in less than 3 swings (unless you can afford it, please don't try it). The hardware will probably last at least a few years at least. // 7

Overall Impression: I play pretty much everything so this guitar is great cause it doesn't have any unique sound to any type of play. I have been playing seriously for about a year now and I don't play Live or anything, just practice alone or sometimes with my friends. If I was in a band I might probably want to upgrade to a better guitar but all in all what I use it for is great. If I lost it I would probably upgrade it cause I plan on doing bigger and better things with my music. But if I planned on staying doing what I do at this moment I would absolutely buy another one. // 6

OX Reviewed by: Raysaaark, on march 25, 2010

Price paid: C$ 115

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: This is for the Oscar Schmidt (Washburn's entry level guitars) OX10 Electric. Features include 24 fret rosewood fingerboard on a maple neck. Solid body in a SSH (unknown brand) set up. One volume and one tone knob. 5-way selector. Strat body design without a pickguard. Has a fulcrum tremelo in it, but I don't have the bar for it, so I will make no comments on its quality. Die cast tuners, non-locking. Nothing really special about it. I love the wood grain of the body in the red. Is stunning and I get a lot of comments on it, haven't seen anything quite similar to it in any of the shops before. // 7

Sound: When I am playing punk (my primary style) It sounds fine. I play on a homemade amp, so its hard to compare to another amp. My other amp is a crappy Crate GX15, which i wont bother you with. It has a single fret (19th) that is out and unplayable, but the rest are fine with no buzz. I find that the Low E and A strings are picked up far more then the others, which over powers the sound in general. I can't seem to get it to play anything with a clear tone, it all comes out slightly fuzzy. The sound it produces when I kick in the Distortion (Boss DS-1) Sounds fantastic. Its exactly what I look for in my tone on stage. When I try and play something slower and more blues-like, it will provide an ok sound, not quite what I would use this for however. For the $115 I paid for this guitar, I would say it sounds Fantastic for the price. I also have a Squire Strat, and the OX10 plays circles around it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know If I am qualified enough to properly address this section. So I'll try my best. Mine is not direct from the factory, so how they send them off I can not comment on. Mine, the neck is in fine form without needing any adjustment. I have had to completely re-adjust my bridge, as my strings were all at the wrong height to my pick-ups. The Electronics are all in fine working order with no complaints. Only problem I really have with it is the exact placement and quality of the output. It will become very loose even after only 20 mins of jamming, and need to be tightened again. And I have to disconnect my patch cable when I put it on my stand. I can find no flaws in the wood, the neck is quite nice and is not painted so it has good speed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would not use this on stage again. The problem with the output is too much of a hassle to do after every other song. Unless you have multiple guitars and a sound tech who is kind. Would be fine for a practice guitar. The hardware otherwise seems like it would last. Strap Buttons are solid and have not had an issue. The thing weighs a ton. The body is much thicker then most guitars I have used before, and provides to be a pain with extended stage performance. The finish has held up quite well, even without a pick guard. I use a variety of different picks, but my first choice is a metal pick that has torn up pick guards like mad before, but the finish is holding up even to it. // 9

Overall Impression: For a punk musician, the OX10 is great. Can't say much for most other styles of play. I have been playing for 12 years on and off. I had started playing with this live but have had to resign it to studio play until I re-wire the output plug. If I lost it, I would be sad, but would have valued the experience of having gotten to played on it. If I came across another one for cheap, would pick it up, but wouldn't hunt one down. I love the sound of the pickups, and the speed and play of the neck. The sharp finish of the body has turned alot of heads. And the sound and feel of it have made it my studio pick of my cheap guitars, but doesn't hold up to the high quality guitars. Wish I had a whammy bar to test it out. // 7

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WM24 Renegade 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/10/2014