PS1800CM Review

7.2
review (1) pictures (2) 52 comments vote for this gear:
PS1800CM Reviewed by: Jackie Lawless, on april 29, 2011

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: From the Washburn website: Mahogany body Cracked mirror top Tune-o-matic Bridge Paul Stanley Tailpiece Randal UL neck pickup Randall Ultra XL Bridge pickup 3-way toggle switch 2 volume, 1 tone control Mahogany set neck Rosewood fingerboard with MOP/abalone split block inlays 22 jumbo frets Buzz Feiten Tuning System Came with an awesome Custom fitted padded gig bag. // 10

Sound: I didn't even know Randall made pickups... but these pickups are amazing. Nice and fat, with plenty of midrange. I run this through a Behringer GMX 212. The Bridge pickup can handle anything from the Beatles, to KISS, to Metallica, And even Avenged Sevenfold and Marilyn Manson. Clean is perfectly crisp, while distortion is very responsive and has alotta bite. I don't use the Neck pickup all too often, but it's very smooth, and sounds best suited for Jazz. This is definitely washburns version of the Les Paul standard. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high when I got it. I'm pretty sure that the previous owner set it up this way. The pickups were at my preferred level already, and everything is as it should be. It has an awesome cracked mirror finish. Apparently though, cracked mirrors have issues with sweat getting between the cracks of the mirror pieces and leaves a grey residue underneath the pieces. Thats why I got this 1200 dollar guitar for less than half. I knew I was buying it like that, and it doesn't bother me. The strap buttons are perfect, this thing has awesome balance. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank. It has genuine grover tuners, that stay locked in place. I rarely have to tune this guitar before I start playing. I am extremely happy with the tuners. I will also note, though, that the Cracked Mirror top is susceptible to getting sweat between the cracks. The owner prior to me didn't clean his instrument after live performances, and a grey sweat residue got between some of the cracks, hence the 450 dollar price tag. It honestly doesn't bother me, but be warned to KEEP IT CLEAN. Fixing it is way too risky. Lao, one of my inlays is starting to peel up. An easy fix, but still... It shouldn't be coming up. All and all, this is the end-all guitar. You won't need to bring another guitar up there with you. It has the flash and sound you need, and all the muscle to go with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal. This guitar is to metal what green is to grass. I love this guitar, and maybe eventually, I'll find a place that can lift those few mirror pieces up and clean that sweat residue out. I'd never put this guitar in a position to be stolen, and if it was, I would be awfully sad because I'd never be able to afford a brand new one. I simply love this guitar. I was originally going to buy an explorer, but this just caught my attention and was too good to be true. Thanks Paul and Washburn for the awesome design. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ XM-STD2 8.3 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014