WI14 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 06/26/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: WI14
The Washburn lifetime warranty covers this quality electric guitar that has a hardwood body, and Maple neck (scale 24") with 22 fret rosewood fingerboard and chrome 18:1 Grover tuners.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 7.9
 8.1
 7.6
 8.5
reviews (7) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
WI14 Reviewed by: IzzySnakes, on october 15, 2005

Features: This guitar was handmade in USA. 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard and circle inlays. Laminated black top with mohogany body (I'm not sure of the neck). It has a Les Paul style body and a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a tremelo. Treble and rhythm pickups (humbuckers), volume knobs and tone knobs with a 3-way Switch. Came with a pedal to amp cable and a very nice case. // 9

Sound: When I bought it I was expecting a Squire-quality starter guitar but I got a guitar that I still use three years after I bought it. I play music like Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith and it works suprisinly well. I use it with a Marshall MG30 with Dunlop Wah, and Danelectro distortion and flanger pedals. It is noisy on all settings but it has a full sound. You can do almost any techniques on this guitar and it will morph to any style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set-up but it is subject to malfunctions (the electronics are having problems with the saudering, which I have already re-saudered multiple times). I did not play the guitar with it's original pickup adjustments but they are very easy to adjust. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Other than the electronic problems I mentioned before I've never had a problem. I'm not sure if this guitar will withstand live playing because I only played a few gigs with it. The strap buttons are solid and have not come off yet. The finish has lasted very very well but it needs alot of polishing because of the black mirror finish. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the guitar I learned everything I know on and it was an absolutely incredible beginner guitar (many of my friends started at the same time with squiers or old guitars handed down to them and all of them looked up to my guitar). I've been playing for 3 years but I would consider myself an advanced guitarist. If it were lost or stolen I would be hurt but I wouldn't buy another as it's only value is sentimental. Compared to my Gibson it is mediocre, but what isn't when compared to a Gibson. The only thing I wish it had was a floyd rose bridge, if it did I would still use it alot. In conclusion, this guitar is a great starter guitar, although it is hard to find nowadays. I would recomend it to any beginner or intermediate guitarist looking for a good low-priced guitar. // 10

WI14 Reviewed by: Xenn99, on may 15, 2006

Features: This guitar was made in China, in I believe 2004. It has 22 frets, on a rosewood fretboard. It's body is basswood and the bolt on neck is maple. Mine is a transparent dark red finish and looks really nice. It has a single cutaway shape, but is quite different from the traditional Les Paul shape. It has a string through bridge, two humbucker pickups, 2 volume controls and 2 tone controls. All the hardware is stock and I haven't had a problem with it yet. The starter pack I bought included a gigbag, strap, Washburn Bad Dog practice amp, and a cable. // 8

Sound: I play pretty much anything, but mainly alternative and punk stuff. This guitar is fine for just about anything, but the pickups are a bit weak. They are also very noisy on mid to high distortion. The volume controls basically have two setting; on and off. Turning the knob to any number besides 0 or 10 makes little difference. The tone controls take the guitar from crisp, to dull and muddy. There is a bit of variation in between, but not a huge amount. Even with those issues, the guitar can still have various sounds. The neck pickup is warm and rich, while the bridge pickup is nice and bright. They could be a bit hotter and give less feedback, but they're decent for stock pickups. I use this guitar through a Marshall MG50DFX and it sounds pretty good. It's got great sound for a beginner guitar, or even an intermediate guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well when I bought it. Action and pickup height was fine. The finish is good on the guitar, but there a re a few spots where the buffer missed. They're not really noticeable though. When I bought it one of the saddles had an edge on it that kept snapping the D string. I broke 3 in two days time. I took it back to the store where I bought it and a quick sanding fixed the problem. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I probably wouldn't use this guitar live. It's nice and everything, but it's really just a beginner guitar. It would be fine as a back-up guitar though. The hardware is fine. I haven't had any problems with it yet and I don't think I will any time soon. The strap buttons are really solid. I haven't needed to buy a straplock or anything, as they're holding just fine. The finish will last, but there are a few paint chips on the headstock. If I would use it live, I wouldn't need a back-up for it. It may be a beginner guitar, but it's solid and really reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar to learn on. I've had it for a year, and aside from the problem with the saddle when I first got it, I haven't had any problems. If it were stolen, I would buy a higher end version of the same guitar. I like the style a lot and it's a good instrument. I love the shape and ultra fast neck, but I really don't like the pickups. I'd also prefer a better body wood, but it has a decent sound anyway. When I bought it I compared it to other starter packages like the Fender Squire. This one is definetly much, much better. Overall it's a great beginner to intermediate guitar. I'd recommend it to people Who are just getting into guitar or are looking to upgrade from their Squire, but have a limited budget. // 8

WI14 Reviewed by: MetalGuitarest, on july 02, 2009

Purchased from: Bobs Music

Features: Made in USA. Stock Vintage style fixed bridge. Two Washburn humbuckers, three way toggle switch. Metallic blue finish. Dual Volume & Tone Control. A Ebony fret board with 22 jumbo frets & Dot inlays. Washburn non- Locking Tuners. The body is shaped like a les paul except the top is cut out a bit. This guitar does come with a bag. Just you will need to fork out an extra $34.00 for it. // 8

Sound: This guitar has great sound for any musician(Experianced/Beginner) I play metal and to my suprise this is a great guitar for it. I play through a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt. I am using.11 gauge strings. If this was the only guitar I was ever going to buy in life I would change one thing and that would be the pickups. Currently on it are factory Washburn humbuckers. I would change them to EMG's or Seymour Duncan blackouts. This guitar will also suite any clean tone. Definetly a reccomendation for any music style. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased this guitar @ Bobs music in pembroke\ontario\canada. It came in from the factory the day before I bought it and they had just put it up on the shelf a few minutes before I bought it. The action came in a perfect from the factory. Not adjusting was required other then to tune it a bit. The pickups were perfectly adjusted. The guitar was perfectly clean, it didn't have any left over factory dust on it and was nice and shiny. If I was keeping this guitar I would change the strap buttons due to the fact they are good.. But if you turn the wrong way, the strap will fall off and it gets anoying. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definetly withstand Live playing after you changed those strap buttons. The only reason I would bring a backup is because I'm always paranoid that this guitar would fail but it has yet to fail. I've played a few live shows and practiced in my garage with my band and this thing rocks. I've tossed this thing on my bed before and nothing has ever happened. It has a strong finish. I played this guitar for two weeks (a few hours a night) and only had to tune it at the end of those two weeks and even then it was only a small bit out of tune. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a metal head and this guitar is great for it. This is only my first guitar and I think it was a reasonable price that I payed. I've been playing for about a year and plan on upgrading soon due to the fact I want to explore different guitar brands. But I will definetly be keeping this guitar for good. This guitar is a great guitar. The one thing it is not good for is reaching high frets (18-22) because it is not cut out far enough. My favorite feature would have to be the neck. It is perfect for sliding and playing those crazy solo's. // 8

WI14 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2011

Purchased from: Beacocks Music

Features: Well, it looks like a guitar. It actually resembles the Les Paul Style just a little bit but as far as comparisons, that's about it. The guitar is made from cheap Basswood and the finish is black and it's horribly done. Paint drip, cracking and so forth. The neck is maple and it's fast. Really the only thing I like about this guitar is the neck Pups are Washburn Pups. I was going to change them out but I thought to myself, "Why bother" because seriously... This wont be played much. // 4

Sound: AS mentioned ealier, the Pups are really weak. With that being said, they do actually produce a sound. I ran it through my Peavy 5150 and the only adjective I can come up with to describe the sound is... Light. You would expect that however out of some cheap pups. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was actually set up when I bought it. The only thing I do not like is the action. It's high, too high for me. Fret work looks like it was done by a two year old. Just sloppy. As far as flaws, they are everywhere but please keep in mind that I really give a new guitar a good look over and find everything. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would never play this thing live. The finish sucks as evident by the paint chips and I take care of my guitars. As far as the electronics... Weak at best. I am going to assume that with a change in Pups you could at least get this thing to sound somewhat OK but it's doubtfull. // 3

Overall Impression: I guess if I were just learning then maybe, just maybe this is the guitar for you. I know it's not for my kiddo. Really, this thing is a piece of crap but look, I bought it for $90.00 new. That should tell you a little something about the quality. You get what you pay for folks. // 4

WI14 Reviewed by: ralpy, on january 11, 2008

Features: This guitar is the lowest end of Washburn's Idol series. It was manufactured in China and is crafted from a light basswood stock. It has 22 frets that are fairly easy to play. It has a laminated, transparent finish and the body style is most reminiscent of a Les Paul, though the cheaper wood makes it much lighter. It has a string-through bridge and two stock humbuckers. Each pickup has it's own volume and tone controls. All the hardware is chrome. // 8

Sound: The sound of this guitar is what disappointed me the most. Yeah, it's a beginners guitar but the pick-ups were especially weak. Especially the bridge. I play blues/rock so I replaced my bridge pickup with a P-90 and now it sounds a lot better. The flimsy wood still makes me long for better guitar, however. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The plus side of this guitar is its playability. The fret radius is small and my hands glide up and down the neck. This is easily the best feature of this guitar. The action was a little too low when I bought it and there was some buzzing. This was easily fixed though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: For a cheaper guitar it seems fairly durable. I'm a pretty clumsy guy bu t it still sounds as sturdy as the day I bought it. The tuners do well with even thicker strings (I play 11s). I can't imagine playing live with this guitar unless some serious adjustments were made to the sound, but if one were to I think it would last throughout at least one gig. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing on this guitar for about 9 months. It's my first guitar so it's OK. For a cheaper model, this is a great option and like many people have pointed out on here, it's better than the Squires. However, I think the Epiphone packages might be a little tighter than this product, so that's up to you. After playing for a little but now, I have come to understand what makes a decent guitar and what doesn't On the one hand, the neck, machine heads and other hardware are all pretty decent. The guitar is easy to play and usually stays in tune. I have the dark red one and the finish looks nice. So again, for a beginner guitar this one serves it's purposes. However, I don't care for the wood stock. Though the lightness of it makes it easy to play, it feels flimsy and cheap sometimes. Also the stock pickups are pretty crappy. I replaced my bridge with a P-90 recently and now I appreciate this a guitar a lot more. I strongly recommend replacing one or both if you ever plan on plugging this thing in. The headstock looks really cheap too. Why do manufactures make cheap guitars look cheap? In terms of features, I give this guitar a 7. It's great to learn on and totally affordable. IT should hold any beginner over until they're ready to play out. When that time comes it's time to upgrade to. // 7

WI14 Reviewed by: bhatta, on may 06, 2010

Features: Made in China, in 07 it would seem from the serial no. 22 frets Basswood body. Transparent finish, String thru Body bridge. Twin humbuckers with 3 way selectors and 2 each of Volume and Tone controls. Found the Guitar in the shop in pretty bad shape but in a days time they arranged everything. Sounded good.Gig bag included. // 8

Sound: Suits my style of old Blues, classic rock and soft rock. Use with Marshall Stack n hence it sounded gr8! Otherwise pretty good guitar with the humbuckers giving good volume and quality sound. Rich n bright sound definately not noisy. Cant give gr8 variety then again I wasn't looking for variety. Sounds without any effects good Acoustic sound! But sustainance is a problem. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar had a lot of flaws. When I found it, the Knobs were missing, the selector Switch was bent. The store guys did a good job I should say in a days time and got the thing in shape. Strange that Washburn delivers such pieces.. After all dear Brand counts I thought.. Anyways... // 6

Reliability & Durability: Definately will withstand live playing.Hardware seems ok and buttons are no problem.Can definitely depend on it and gig with it but then again this is actually my back-up guitar. Finish is good but last or not only time can tell and I wish I was TIME! doesn't have a pick-guard n I can see Pick marks on the body but then again I hate pick guards and almost always get rid of them. So no pains with that. As you may have hear- "My Levi's wet n torn". // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly Classic rock, Reggae, blues, soft rock etc. And this guitar naturally sounds like a Acoustic one which helps in the soft places. Thats the reason y I got it. Also the String thru Body adds a dimension to the sound that I can't pin point. Doesn't carry too much distortion too well, wud definateky not try out metal etc. But I like it and for good. Also I wanted A bolt on neck! Only thing I think missing is a Tremolo! With the bridge n string thru body I wud have loved if this baby had a Tremolo! All in all I like the way it sounds.wont buy it again but will try putting up another humbucker in the mid range and see what it does to the sound.The price it has come for I will in the long run experiment with it... // 9

WI14 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 26, 2012

Purchased from: local Ukrainian online store

Features: I won't talk a lot about the features, as they can be seen on the official site. It's a LesPaul with tune-o-magic bridge and two humbuckers. Just in a few words: the guitar is pretty simple, well-built, quite heavy. It looks nice in dark red finish I've got, and I'd say that it looks as if it cost much more than 165$. A cheap demo cable and some tools were included in the guitar package. // 10

Sound: I'm just a beginner, I've been playing electric guitar only for 3 months, and I've been trying to play the acoustic since I was 12. I'm 15 now. So my level is rather low. Anyway, I play mostly metal and alternative stuff, bands like Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Bullet For My Valentine, Skillet. The guitar has two humbuckers, passive of course. I can get some decent sound for Bullets and Skillet. The warm tone TDG have is impossible to get, I believe. To be honest, I've tried playing it only through guitar rig and other programs like that, cause I haven't got enough money for a decent amp right now. So, maybe if you play it through an amp, things get better. The guitar sounds quite well unplugged, I like the sound, it's warm and bright. That's why it gets an eight. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar I got was flawless, well set-up and so on. I just picked it up, tuned it in drop d and began playing. The strings that come with the guitar are pretty good, I read somewhere that they are D'Addario ones. Anyway, I've been playing them for three months already, and they still sound well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with it yet, but I think it would withstand live playing. Though I wouldn't like to have it as a main guitar for concerts, cause it gets out of tune quite easily. I play for two-three hours a day, and I have to tune it every two days. The strap buttons are solid, haven't had any problems with, though most of the time I play standing. It doesn't get scratched very easily, the only scratches mine has got are at the back, because of my belt buckle. Nine because of the tuners. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd say that this a good beginner guitar. It is a good guitar for someone who's into metal, but, personally, I wish it was more versatile. Taking its price into account, the guitar does the job well: just a simple instrument to develop your playing skills. I put all the ratings having the price in my mind, cause if you compared it to a Gibson Les Paul, it'd get far worse grades. I don't think I'd like to buy it again if it was stolen. It's value for me is that its my first instrument, but nothing more. I love the look of the guitar, all of my friends were impressed. I also love the sound of the unplugged guitar. When I get an amp, maybe I'll also get a nice TDG tone. But for now it gets 8 overall. Good beginners guitar, well built and reliable. Don't expect top-notch sounds from it, and you'll be satisfied. // 8

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX50 7.8 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014