WI64 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 09/27/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: WI64
This guitar smokes with all of Washburn's top features: Buzz Feiten Tuning System, Voice Contour Control, jumbo frets, set neck, and 18:1 grover tuners.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.1
 9.5
 8.6
reviews (4) 9 comments vote for this gear:
WI64 Reviewed by: dmc_74_usa, on april 04, 2005

Features: This guitar smokes with all of Washburn's top features: - Mahogany body - Quilt maple top - Modern carve top single cutaway - Neck scale 24 3/4" - 22 frets - One piece mahogany set neck - Fingerboard radius 14" - Rosewood fingerboard - Deluxe gold hardware - VCC - Voice Contour Control - 3 way toggle Switch - Exclusive Grover 18:1 gear ratio tuners - WB630 high output pickups - Tune-O-Matic bridge - Rosewood fingerboard - Buzz Feiten tuning system. // 10

Sound: The sound is great. It's a harmonic machine. It's so easy to get harmonics from just about anywhere on the fret board. The pickups actually sound really good for cheap standard pickups. It sounds good for rock, metal, punk, blues, basically anything. A very versitile sounding guitar. I had a little bit of fret buzz on the low E, but I adjusted the action and fixed it. Overall, I love the sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is great. Like I said, I had to adjust it cause when I got it it was so low that there was some fret buzz. Even after the adjustment it's still very low. It's so easy to play. I feel like I play better just by using this guitar. The finish is amazing. I own the transparent red, and it's just gorgeous. When I saw the pictures on the internet, I wasn't impressed. But then when I saw it in the store, I was amazed. It's so much darker in person. The silver hardware really sets it off. It's amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I love this guitar. It's better then all the other guitars I thought of buying. The neck is so thin. It might be thinner than the Wizard II from Ibanez. It's amazing. I considered buying a Schecter. Schecter is a very good brand, and the guitars are great, but it was just missing something. Well this Washburn is missing nothing. Most people don't even consider Washburn, when they should. I love this guitar. The only thing I think could make it better would be some better pickups, but the stock pickups are still good. This guitar is worth twice as much as I paid in my eyes. I could stick with Washburn for the rest of my life and be happy. // 10

WI64 Reviewed by: tastycorn3, on april 06, 2005

Sound: Sound is very nice. Humbuckers give it a very mellow deeper sound. Switch it to single and you get a nicely twangy sound. What I'd expect to come from a guitar. I use a Marshall 10watt amp w/this (just starting out). It's got the same set-up as a Les Paul (4 knobs, pickup selects in same way) but the pickup selector is right next to knobs on this. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The natural distressed finish and distressed copper looks very cool. The action is very nice. But the frets are a little loose. But that can get fixed w/a fixup at a music store. Minor blemish on the back. Can't really tell since it's about an inch wide and on back. // 10

Overall Impression: To be honest, I really haven't been playing that long (couple of months). My favorite thing about this guitar would have to be the overall look of it. I play mainly alternative, punk, anything around that area (lighter or heavyer). If I could relate this to any guitar id probabally relate it to the Les Paul for two reasons: 1. same pick-up style (explained in the sound catagory); 2. Similar body shape. // 10

WI64 Reviewed by: jh_wildarms, on may 15, 2007

Features: I went into Sam Ash and came out with this beaut from Korea (got it at a steal normal price is $419). Mine (which I don't think you can find anymore) is satin no gloss black with distressed hardware and no pickguard. Mahogany body and set neck with rosewood fingerboard give it a great tone and sustain considering how thin and light it is the body's only a little over an inch thick (think SG not Les Paul). It has passive electronics so there are no batteries to change. The fact that it is equipped with the Buzz Feiten tuning system and Grover tuners means it stays in tune no matter what. I currently have mine tuned down to drop C and it sounds great. // 8

Sound: I play hardcore, and rock mainly but I have been toying around with some Django Reinhart and it can do them all. It is more of a rock to metal guitar though. I am currently using a Guitar Research 60W tube amp (which I would not suggest getting) and it sounds good considering the amp is a pile. The pickups are good and they don't pick up sound from other electronics unless I am at my computer doing tabs, then it hums a little. Oh and by the way pitch harmonics are awesome on this guitar. I have friends Who can only do them on my guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only thing I had to work on was the intonation up the fretboard but that's a very minor thing in the scheme of things. The setup from the factory was average. Perfect for rhythm a tad high for soloing. After owning this guitar for over a year I still haven't found any flaws in the finish, fret wire, or the hardware so at this point if there are any flaws they are well hidden. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've played a couple of shows with it a it has performed admirably. Everything seems solid. I wouldn't play without a backup (that's just stupid) but if I only owned this guitar I wouldn't worry about using it solo. // 9

Overall Impression: Good guitar. The pickups are nice and flexible, the tuners are solid, the body is nice and light. But for all it's virtues I don't think I would buy it for $400 it's good but. I don't know I guess I would just rather have a Michael Kelly Patriot Q or a B.C Rich Masterpiece Mockingbird. If you can find it at a reasonable price buy it. But for the price tag of 400 I'd keep looking. // 8

WI64 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 27, 2010

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: I bought this guitar new this year, but it is an '04. The pawn shop I bought it from had had it since then, and hadn't sold it. So they cut a deal, and it's great! 23 frets, solid guitar. Made of mahogany. Rosewood fretboard, Washburn pickups, tune-o-matic bridge. Les Paul-type guitar, but in my opinion, much better, shape-wise, at least. Normally, these guitars go for anywhere from 250-400 dollars, but I cut a deal. I ended up with one that's in a distressed finish, in that it has copper-colored hardware and is a stained body, but it is not a WI-64DL. It comes with Washburn's VCC (voice contour control), which replaces the traditional tone circuit, that supposedly dials humbuckers back to a more single coil-esque sound...it doesn't quite do that, but I keep it somewhere around 5 anyways, a result of my own experimenting with it. I don't love the volume pots, because I'm in love with Fender and PRS pots, but with that change made, I would love it! // 9

Sound: Believe it or not, this guitar is one of my favorites. I run an AC30 right now with a variation of pedals, and it does *anything*. I've covered Guns, Van Halen, some Country, my band's hard rock/trash. It's noisy at all. It's a full, rich tone that I love to death. Blows any Epiphone Les Paul, and most "lower" end Gibsons I've seen out of the water. Like I said, I'd like some dynamics with the pots, but that's a minor problem to me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I said before I bought it new. But it had been sitting, with the factory strings on it, for ages. It was in great shape, nonetheless. I got it set up with 10s, how I like it, but otherwise, nothing's wrong with the guitar at all. It's beautiful. Literally everyone, from my family to other guitarists, say it looks great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I put Schaller strap locks on it, as I do with any guitar, but the stock strap buttons were fine. I just don't trust any strap buttons, as I've ruined guitars like that. I've gigged with it several times with no problems. I wouldn't gig without a backup, because anything could happen in a live situation. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, hard rock, blues, and it plays everything well. From clean tones to grit, to higher gain, it works. I love the guitar. If it were stolen, I'd order another one, and a WI66Pro, and an N4, and plenty of other Washburn products. They're one of my favorite guitar companies! // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX10 8 Electric Guitars 10/17/2014