WI65PRO Review

5.3
reviews (2) pictures (5) 14 comments vote for this gear:
WI65PRO Reviewed by: AAAAAAAAAARGH, on february 25, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was made in Korea, and features a Mahogany body, and a dark Maple neck. The fretboard encompasses 22 jumbo frets, with no inlays. The body and neck of the guitar have a glossy black finish, but this does not slow down playing on the neck, and is very smooth. Other finishes include crimson red and silver. The body style is Washburn's own 'Idol' series, and remotely resembles a few products in the Gibson line. The guitar uses Washburn's own 'Buzz Freiten' tuning system and bridge, which provides very stable tuning. The guitar has two passive humbucking pickups, the Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck, and the Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge. A 3-way selector is included, to switch between the two pickups. A unique feature of the guitar is Washburn's patented VCC (Voice Contour Control.) This replaces the guitar's two tone nobs with a gradual coil tap, as the tone nobs are turned down the guitar's pickups take on a more single coil sound. This provides a distinct difference, and is very effective. // 10

Sound: The guitar can handle a large number of sounds and tones very effectively. It's Seymour Duncan pickups and solid Mahogany body can handle heavy distortion, and the guitar produces a thick and warm crunchy sound, comparable to a Gibson SG. Clean styles do seem a bit muddy at first, but by using the VCC and changing from humbuckers to single coils, the cleans get a lot better. Due to the woods used, it's a very warm sounding guitar. The pickups are fairly high output, and provide good rhythm and lead tones. I have used the guitar on a few amps, including a Peavey tube amp and my very own Roland Cube. The guitar sounds good on both, and provides an overall good tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall the guitar was set up very nicely. There was no fret buzz, and the action was very low. The only slight problem was that the intonation was off, but a quick setup of this resolved the problem. The pickups were adjusted fine, and were at the right height. The only complain I have is poor workmanship on the neck-body joint. It's sturdy, but it looks sub-par round the back. It is only aesthetic though, and doesn't affect sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very sturdy. I've given it a few knocks and bumps and the paint job has stayed in place. The guitar could easily withstand Live situations, as long as it isn't being set on fire. The hardware and strap buttons are solid, and my strap has never come off within a year of owning the guitar. I would definitely gig with it, and wouldn't see much use for a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: The music I play varies. I like to play metal, blues, and some cleans with funky reverb. The VCC enables me to play all these styles with ease. I have been playing for 2 years, and have played many guitars that are owned by various relatives. Washburn have a great line of products, and if this guitar were stolen then I think I'd choose another guitar from the Washburn line. This one's great, but it's nice to have some variety. I love everything about the guitar. The tuning is very sturdy, and the coil tapping opens a gateway to a world of different tones. I couldn't ask for much more with this guitar, and I recommend it highly. // 9

WI65PRO Reviewed by: Metalloy, on august 31, 2012

Purchased from: used

Features: I'll keep this short, you want the whole list google it or check the other review. I got mine used, this my second electric guitar, my first being a Cort X-6. I bought for 2 main reasons, having Seymour Duncan pickups, and neck thru construction knowing that will lead to more sustain supposedly. This has a tune-o-matic bridge, H-H configuration with 3 way pickup selector switch, also has Washburns own VCC which serve in mixing the sound generated of both of pickups. Also has "buzz feiten" system to preserve intonation throughout the neck. So you can see this has quite features to talk about that differentiate it from other guitars. // 9

Sound: I play many styles, nothing perfect really XD but versatility is a requirement for me and this delivers, the combination of the Seymour Duncan pickups and VCC is really rewarding, controlling the volume output of each pickup can really help shaping your tone! I play it through Vox ac4t, with occasional use of some pedals (e.g JHv1, Satchurator, Vox Way, Boss Ge-7...), and it sounds great both clean and distortion. The differences in switching pickups is easily noticeable, may favorite for clean being the middle configuration and lowering the volume for the bridge pickup to decrease the "attack" If that's the right word for it. For distortion It sounds wonderful on all configuration, I don't have a favorite yet, still experimenting. Noise is not an issue, at all! When your not playing it is just quite as it is supposed to. Only good stuff when it comes to sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used so I don't know about the factory setup, that said it has no problems at all, no buzzing, all knobs working fine, pickup selector working fine, no complaints. The pickups have signs of rust if you inspect carefully, but that is really not Washburn's fault, plus it is not really showing and don't affect performance so I don't really mind it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I gigged it live, really good and the good thing it is really really light, so you don't even notice it when playing it standing up. The hardware is built to last, but the body will get damaged, I bought with some wood chopped just a little, and some paint scratched off, but I may say looking at the damage done to the body, this is not a regular abuse, the previous owner must have deliberately hit it! Everyone should respect his instrument, I really hated how someone could abuse his own instrument that much, I guess spoiled kids. So also it is damaged, I don't think I can really blame the guitar itself, I have it for a year now and not a single new scratch if found. I would depend on it, I would gig it without a backup, everything is working just fine and there's nothing really to worry about. // 8

Overall Impression: this is a high end guitar, with some premium features, It will suit every style and actually quite good not just good enough. I liked it and for now this is my main guitar, my second being my Cort X-6. If it is stolen I would buy another one if I get a similar deal which is highly unlikely, this goes new in my country for around 900$. This is a winner, Washburn did a great job doing it, it has it's own character and really a joy to play. // 9

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WI66PRO 8.6 Electric Guitars 04/28/2014