WI66PRO Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 04/28/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: WI66PRO
This model, along with the WI67PRO, marks the return of pearl wing fingerboard inlays to the Washburn line. The set neck allows a slim neck joint and offers comfortable access to the upper register.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.6
 9.3
 7.8
reviews (3) pictures (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
WI66PRO Reviewed by: blicero, on march 22, 2006

Features: I just bought a Washburn WI66PRO (Idol Series) and it is a great instrument. It was probably made in 2005 and a Korean import. I was looking for a LP style but without the Gibson price. I was leaning towards Epiphone or ESP but a another poster recommended I give Washburn, Hamer or Dean a look. I had lost track of Washburn products outside of acoustics but I was impressed by the Idol Series. The selling point for me was the excellent Seymour Duncan pups (Custom Custom & '59), the easy playing smooth neck, the Buzz Feiten system, and the great quilt top. The neck is thin (14" radius) and made out of mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. There are pearl inlays on the frets. The tune-o-matic bridge with stoptail at one end and 18:1 Grover tuners at the other. The next level up, the Pilsen, is USA made and only $150 more typically. However, it was hard to find a Washburn dealer in my area but I got lucky through Ebay. Grand Central Music (eBay dealer) had the guitar on my doorstep two days after the auction closed. Packed in the factory case with a short cord and arrrived in tune! // 9

Sound: I play mostly blues and rock. The pups work well for those styles. The Voice Contour Controls (instead of traditional tone controls) are designed to dial in a single coil sound from the dual humbuckers like a coil split. I use several typical Boss pedals, some modded, some not through a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30W guitar combo. There is such a variety of sounds available from this set up. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well. It arrived in tune. However, the action may need to be raised a touch when I change strings. The low E has some fret buzz. The front pickup (SD '59) came really low so I raised it to better suit my taste. The neck is set perfectly and there are no visible flaws. Yes, it is Korean made but this a great representation of quailty work from overseas. However, I put Schaller strap locks on it the day after I bought it and there was a slight problem. The Washburn screws are bigger than the Schaller screws so a little super glue helped make up the difference. Since, I would never remove strap locks, I feel comfortable with the change. Normally, I use Dunlop strap locks so there could be a better fit with that product. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, it could travel and be dependable if treated well. Some touring bands use this model as their main stage guitar. The hardware is excellent. Another reason I chose this model was the pups and how I would not have to immediately swap them out (like I would with an Epiphone), they are keepers. If I played live, I would have a backup just in case a string broke. The finish is great and if polished regularly, it will look great for years. // 8

Overall Impression: I would recommend anyone looking for an LP style guitar give this model a test. You will be impressed. Worth it! // 9

WI66PRO Reviewed by: MadMudgeN, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I got this off of an auction on ebay. It's the 2006 model made in Korea, with 22 frets. It's made of rosewood and maple, and it has a beautiful flamed top honey burst finish. It looks like a Les Paul, has passive Seymour Duncans (that wail, but I'll get to that later), it has a really unique control system and has grover 18:1 locking tuners. Mine particularly came wit an SKB hardshell, but a factory HSC accompanies this guitar from what I understand. All in all, this thing is beautiful and functional. // 9

Sound: This guitar can play anything. As I mentioned, it has a really unique "voice contour" control system, where two of the knobs really affect the way the pickups sound (one for each humbucker). You can turn them down for a bluesy, Strat-like sound, or crank it up and rock out with some pop rock and even push it to metal. When it comes down to it, I don't think you can get better variety of sounds, because I've had this guitar for a day and it's versatility is already showing, since I can play Lynyrd Skynyrd, Darkest hour, and Death Cab For Cutie and get perfect tones through a Vox AD30VT. Perhaps the only recommendation I would have is if you intend on playing mainly metal, either get ZW EMGs or get the BLS model of this guitar which already has active pickups. If you're thinking of getting a Gibson or an ESP, check this guitar out for sure. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This thing came to me with very little use, still factory setup, and it's perfect. The action is fantastic with no fret buzz and the intonation is right on. The only weird thing that I fixed was they have the neck pickup really loose when it comes to you so it's kind of "sunk" in the guitar. It sounds fine, but I adjusted mine. Everything was properly affixed, and the guitar came with perfect finish; no dings, scratches, dents or marks on this baby. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems durable as all hell. Like I said, I just got it today, but I've been playing it for four hours straight more or less, and not once has the strap came off. The hardware seems like it could withstand quite a bit, and I think that I would gig with this guitar without a backup, because I'm clumsy and I already hit it on the edge of a table; still, no dings, no loss in quality, no broken pieces, and no finish marks. These guitars are solid. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is everything I've ever wanted. I used to think I really wanted a Gibson or an ESP, and I just couldn't afford them with the prices. Then I found this little gem on ebay and got it for Christmas. It matches the way I play perfectly. I've played for about 3 years now, and this guitar is so easy to play, it practically plays itself. Now I'm going to sell my Epiphone, because I don't need it anymore, as it pales in comparison to this guitar. If it were stolen, and I had the money, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. The tuning system and Voice contour control make this guitar unique and fantastic. Basically it comes down to this: I've had access to a Gibson SG and an ESP EC-1000 for the past year, and I prefer to play this one. Perhaps the only thing I wish it had was 24 frets instead of 22, but that's a minor quandry. This guitar is amazing, so go buy one! // 10

WI66PRO Reviewed by: tmr4891, on april 28, 2014

Purchased from: Online Retailer

Features: First off, I've owned two of these; first of which was sold for rent at the time along with a Peavey Valveking 212 (awesome), and wound up buying a second one years later used which needed fretwork which wasn't mentioned in the ad. They were both mahogany bodied, mahogany set neck, both had the Seymour Duncan 59 and custom combination of pickups. Both were beautifully finished and had VCC, with locking grovers with the compensating nut and tune-o-matic bridge with stop bar tail piece.

The beat up one I got used I wound up swapping the pups and did the fret repair necessary myself (fret repair is suck). Replaced the pups with Artec Retrotron style pups and put all chrome dome tele knobs in place of the speed knobs, and even went so far as to get the Gretsch style pickup selector switch cover in chrome. Turned out real nice, but obviously that's not the same guitar anymore.

So for all intents and purposes this review is about my first one, which was tobacco sunburst with creme binding. // 10

Sound: I have a diverse style of music that uses the full spectrum of what electric guitars can sound like, from heavy metal tones, to blues slide guitar, to delay laden cleans and all of it. I used it with a Peavey Valveking 212 which no doubt added to my level of enjoyment on this instrument. The pups were amazing, and anything I tried with it sounded great. The Voice Contour Controls offered me the ability to dial in truer single coil sound than I have been able to achieve with a straight coil split, and did offer me everything I was looking for. Truth be told, if you can find one of these, and you don't pick it up, you would be greeted by an army of face palms by previous and current owners. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything about the setup was flawless. The action was perfect, the pickups were just right, the top was top notch, obviously the routing was done right. It has the buzz feiten tuning system which just makes everything a million times better. I know how to tune by ear, and this system makes that a 20 second activity, and the damn thing just stayed in tune until I had to re string it. Time and time again.

The finish was just amazing, and I'd feel bad putting it in a bag because it looked like it should be in a trophy case. That pseudo les paul look with a flawless binding and the shine. There was just nothing to complain about on this guitar. And I've gone through a few. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd say with absolute certainty that this guitar could stand up to live playing, as it's a heavy (as heavy as guitars are anyway) and solidly built instrument all the way through. Nothing on that instrument seemed like it would ever fade, but eventually (a decade or two of being your only instrument) I suppose it would be possible. The strap buttons weren't particularly memorable, I only used them a few times, but they never ceased to hold up for me. I definitely depended on it while I had it, and used it without a backup for a good while.

I'd honestly be suprised if the finish had been worn out by now, and it's been years. Nice thick coat of great looking material. // 10

Overall Impression: I play my own style of music that takes a little from everywhere, and I'd say it was a great match. Playing for 11 years now, and have since picked up a Schecter Tempest Custom (close but no cigar), Squier Stratocaster, and Jazzmaster, and the reworked WI66 pro I mentioned earlier. I also own a Schecter Raiden Special IV, a pair of Peavey Vypyrs, and a handful of other amps along the way. They don't make them anymore, and I would replace it if I could afford it, but I really can't these days. Easily the best guitar I've ever had, played, looked at, etc. I'd take a fresh one of these over a Gibson Les Paul, and I'm not exaggerating. Between the pups, vcc, finish, shape, buzz feiten system... it's just no contest. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ XM-STD2 8.3 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014