WI66PROG Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 12/05/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: WI66PROG
The guitar is just brilliant, from the studio to the stage, and everything between it's just perfect. Probably my favourite sounding electric I've ever tried.
 7.1
 4.1
review (1) pictures (2) 14 comments vote for this gear:
WI66PROG Reviewed by: MUSERULESALL, on december 05, 2011

Price paid: C$ 749.95

Purchased from: The Turner Guitar Studio

Features: This guitar was made in Korea in 07 I believe. It has 22 frets Grover machine heads, a tune-o-matic bridge, nice neck inlays, and a Mahogany body, with a carved Metallic gold top finish. It has 2 stacked P-90's with individual tone, volume and coil tap controls, as well as a 3 way switch. It comes with a nice padded gig bag. // 10

Sound: It has a super thick, rich, powerful sound, moreso than almost any pick-up I know of. I love it for clean rhythm stuff, and high gain lead, especially through either my Tech 21 Trademark 30, or through a really nice tube amp like a Bogner, or a Vox Night Train. My genre is somewhere in the alternative modern rock, indie, folk, type sound, but with branches in all directions, and this guitar pulls almost anything off perfectly. In the coil tapped mode, it gets a really dirty twang to it, with sharp attacks, and a bit of punch, and when both coils on both pick-ups are active, it is as thick as anything, and does great for any lead, or power chord bit I need. Probably my favourite sounding electric I've ever tried. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on it from the get go was excellent, and it still plays beautifully. I've never had a problem with the tuning of it, or needed to set it up, and the neck profile on it is exactly how I like it, which is not too thick or too thin. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Overall everything seems durable, and I don't see this guitar breaking in any way any time soon. I would play a gig without a back-up except I'd be worried a string might break, and then I'd be screwed. Other than that it's as sturdy as a brick... Or something like that. // 10

Overall Impression: I LOVE THE GUITAR! If you haven't got that from the rest of the review. Everything about it is brilliant. I would buy another if I lost or got this one stolen, except for the fact that it's now discontinued! What a sad day for the guitar world that was. But seriously the guitar is just brilliant, from the studio to the stage, and everything between it's just perfect. I also own a Blade DD-1, which I would consider on the same level as this, though I paid quite a bit more for the Blade. The Blade does however have it's own distinct sound that I love for certain genre's this one doesn't handle as well, so I'm glad I have both. If you ever come across one used or in a store if they happen to have one still in stock, I whole heartedly recommend you buy it! Or at least try it out, and let it convince you... The only minor gripe is that the looks take a bit to grow on ya, I didn't like it much the first few times I saw it. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ XM-STD2 8.3 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014