WM10 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 06/24/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: WM10
This a guitar is better suit for heavy stuff. It's really fast to play on, and is comfortable.
 5.5
 7.4
 3.6
review (1) pictures (6) 16 comments vote for this gear:
WM10 Reviewed by: Katto, on june 24, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: It was made in 2009 in Indonesia. It has 24 frets on a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with "sharktooths" inlays. The scale lenght is 25.5" I guess. The body is a superstrat shape in mahogany and is bolt-on built. The finish is gloss red with mate gray harware. The Bridge is some kind of floating one, I don't know it's name. It has an H-S-H configuration with Washburn pickups, all passive. One volume and one tone knob and a 5-way selector. Non-locking tuners. It came with a gig bag, a strap, a cable, tools and a whammy bar. // 8

Sound: I play almost anything from blues to metal, and this guitar doesn't fit them all. Although it is a very versatile guitar, but only for heavier stuff. In my house, to practice, I run this guitar through a Randall RX25RGM amplifier. In clean, it has a very poor sound in the Bridge pickup, a low sound and nos to deep on middle and a nice deep sound on neck position. Using distortion it has a "normal" sound on the bridge. It's crunchy, but not enough. The single coil in the middle is good for some licks but I don't like using it since it hasn't a very deep sound. The neck humbucker is fine, just that, good for soloing since it has a really nice deep tone. All pickups lacks a warm tone. That is only because the pickups are cheap and weak. Anyway, that can be solved getting a pedal (I use a DigiTech RP50 for practice, and it give really good sounds) or new pickups. I instaled EMG's 81 and 60 in Bridge and neck, and it sounds amazing. But the point here is the factory settings. Any guitar with those pickups can sound good. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup from the factory was decent. Not good and not bad. As I do with all my guitars, I lower the action. There were some bad adjustments with the pickups and the bridge, but, once solved, there's no problem about that. The finish is nice, personally, I like the gloss red finish and the mate grey harsware (tuners, volume and tone knobs, bridge, etc). There weren't any flaws on the guitar it the moment of purchase. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar live, and I gotta say, it amuse me. Luckily, in a good way. This guitar definitively can withstand live playing. The body itself and the finish are very reliable and it seems the hardware can resist a lot of work. The strap buttons are ok, but always I use strap locks, just to be sure. I always use a back up when playing live. This guitar seems to be well built, it will last a lot, but not forever. I've dropped it some times, and there is no scratchs on the finish or any flaw on the body. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before, this a guitar is better suit for heavy stuff, and for me that's what I'm doing right now, so it's ok. I've been playing for seven years and I have a Washburn WI 14, an ESP EX-360, a Jackson RR3 Rhoads and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. The WM 10 is not the best of them all, but I like it. It's really fast to play on, and is comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the whammy bar, it works good, but since the guitar has non-locking tuners, using it too much will mess up the tune. If it were stolen, I would try to recover it, but I wouldn't buy another one. This is a beginner guitar, I just bought it because I liked it and it was cheap. // 8

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX10 8 Electric Guitars 10/17/2014