X20 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 11/06/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: X20
Washburn did us a favor making this guitar, and pricing it so cheap.
 Features: 6.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.6
reviews (6) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
X20 Reviewed by: frost1080, on august 05, 2005

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: I'm not really sure where or whne this guitar was made but whoever did it I give props to them. It's a 24 fret Strat style guitar. I'm pretty sure it's made of alder and on mine the neck and fretboard is pure maple. It has a very dark black colour which shines in light which gives off a grat vibe during gigs. It has 2 single coil and 1 humbucker. I got a bag strap and a lot of picks. // 8

Sound: This guitar is very good for its price and is a great begginers guitar. I got this when I was younger (I'm 16) and I enjoyed how it can go from pleasent sounds on clean (great clean) to head banging metal with the humblucker. I have a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and that only adds to its diverse sounds. So for its price it's a very good guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very well made and the strap pins are very well "stuck" in the guitar. I've dropped it 4 times in one day and had it go through a airplanes cargo hold with a gig bag. Washburn made a very strong and durable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly punk, rock and some metal. I love this guitar for it. I have a Gibson Explorer and I use that for more "heavy" songs but for mosly everything else I use this! If someone stole it I'm not sure if I'd buy it again because weather or not I caught the guy and removed the thumbs with a hammer I'm currently saving up for a bigger amp. I'd guess I had to suffice with the Explorer(very good guitar, highly reccomended for intermediate to master players). I've campared it to squire stat and tele and some other annymouse guitars at the stior and chose this one for its sound and look. I love its look. Like I said ealier, it gives off a shiny flash in light which during gigs is wonderfull. I had a same solo moment at my school when I did a solo and the guitar was shining all the way through. Also for 200 bucks you can't go wrong. // 8

X20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 01, 2004

Features: When I bought the guitar it was new and I got it two years ago. This was my first guitar and now i HATE it. The guitar stays in tune for about an hour. It has a tremolo but it also sucks. The first time you use it it puts the guitar WAY out of tune. The string-thru body makes it really annoying to change the strings. The neck is a fat c shape. The guitar comes with a tone and volume Switch and a 5 way selector but the tone Switch is already broken. // 4

Sound: This guitar doesn't suit my music style which is anything from minor threat to green day. At this moment I am using a Boss ds1 distortion and a Randall 15 watt amp. It only sounds good with distortion andthat sound reminds me of a cross between minor threat and the ramones. it has a fairly crappy sound. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar came from the factory it was set up really well nothing was loose broken or damaged but stuff started getting messed up after a few months. The pickups were a little two low for my taste but that was easily fixed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'm not so sure that the guitar would withstand live playing because I just started my band about a week ago. It's not that the hardwear seems not to last, it simply doesn't. the strap buttons are fairly solid. I wouldn't use it in a gig without a backup, but unfortunately I don't have a choice at this point. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a fast style of punk music, but I am trying to incorporate an AFI/Nirvana sound and im not so sure I can do it with this guitar. I have only been playing for a year and this is my first guitar but I have played others (J. Reynolds, ESP, Fender). If it were stolen then I would be kind of happy because then I would have an excuse to get a better one. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to try any other guitars because my parents bought me this one without my consent. // 4

X20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Purchased from: Music Maestro, my local music shop.

Features: Very good machine heads, the same quality as those from guitars that are much more expensive. It has 24 frets and that's definitely usefull. The neck is very smooth and thus very easy to play on. It has a floating brige (tremelo) wich might've been a little better. Tone and volume control and a five-way Switch. The coulour of the guitar is very dark gray (almost black). // 8

Sound: The sound is very good and versatile, I'm using a Roland Cube 30 as an amp right now and using the tone Switch you can really get loads of different tones out of your guitar. I moslty play metal/grunge type of music and the guitar is almost perfect for that kind of music. The acoustic and clean sound of the guitar also is very bright and pure. The only negative thing is that is buzzes awfully when the volume of the guitar is on maximum and you don't play, but that can be helped by turning off the volume of course or muting the strings. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was well set-up when I bought it, the only thing I changed was putting thicker strings on it (but that isn't the factories fault) and I did something about the bridge too (more about that later). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a very sturdy guitar, only one thing got broke in the year and a half I've got my guitar, the plastic top of the tone Switch fell of, but with a bit of glue that was easely fixed. Except for some minor scratches the guitar doesn't show any sings of wearing out. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my very first electric guitar, I bought it after I'd quit playing the classical guitar for almost five years. Hence I knew nothing about electric guitars, I bought this one just because it was the right coulour and shape and it was inside my price range. Now that I am much more familiar with electric guitars, I can say that I don't regret my purchase, alltough it isn't perfect. This is the best example. The guitar has a floating bridge, since I like do tune down my guitar this isn't such a good feature. First I only tuned my guitar into drop D so that didn't cause much of a problem, the guitar didn't get out of tune to hard. But then, I started to get into the more heavy rock and metal, so I tried to get my guitar into C-tuning in wich I failed awfully. But, with a little of creativety, I was able to fix the bridge, now I can tune my guitar however I want. Eventhough I'm quite satisfied about it, I wouldn't buy the same one if it were stolen, I would replace it with an Ibanez SZ320, because that one doesn't have a tremelo of course. Except for my old classical guitar, I don't own another one, but I recently bought an Ibanez RG7321 (7-string) and it should arrive from Japan within the next few days. Overall it's a good guitar, escpecially when you start playing. // 8

X20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2005

Purchased from: Acadia Music

Features: I'm not sure the year or where it is built. It has 24 frets whcih is all maple. Body is made of alder I beleive and the neck is maple. It is a Strat style guitar. String thru-body. It has volum and tone knobs and a 5-way selector. It has a humbuckler and 2 single and I think they are wahburn standard. I got a bag, strap and a couple of picks. It does have a tremolo bridge (floating) and that works pretty well. Just the problem is if you play too hard and accident puch on it during a gig. // 6

Sound: My music style is punk to hard rock and some metal. This hguitar does the rock very well. Its humbuckler has a deep sound which is pretty good. I have a Marshall 15 watt and with the distortion on it makes a horrible screeching sound at high levels. It has a very bright and puse sound oin clen through. I think this guitar could play many styles but would'nt be very good at them. Jack of all trades, master of none. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was pretty well set up and I haven't changed a thing except the pickups. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very well made. I wouldn't gig without a backup through because last time I did, my strap broke. Not the guitars fault but nontheless bad. The pins are pretty stuck in there so I wouldn't worry about that. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock, punk and metal and this guitar is great for these types. Like I said before jack of all trades master of none. I've been playing about 3 months now and wish I would've got Washburn's other model, the WI64. If it were stolen I would'nt buy it again cause well imbored of it. I would get the WI64. I really like its look though, but it's heavier than most of the guitars I played on. // 6

X20 Reviewed by: NeptuneUK, on june 13, 2005

Sound: I play many different styles and this guitar is very versitile. The strings that came with it were very mediocre if not poor, I replaced them with some ernie ball strings and the thing makes a fantastic sound! The 5-way selector Switch provides many different sounds which is great for the beginner guitarist who may want to experiment and change their style after a few months of playing. You can grind some heavy metal from it and scream some blues pretty easily provided you have a decent amp. I use a Marshall amp and it sounds great with it. it doesn't sound very good at all on some cheaper amps I tried out though. Overall I couldn't expect a better sound for the 150 pounds I payed for it, I would rate it a 4 but for 150 pounds the price really doesnt reflect on the sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in great condition. Nothing special though. // 6

Overall Impression: Very versatile, I play many different types of music on my guitar ans it seems to be pretty suitable (it doesn't look it) blues, metal, punk, grunge (deep down we all love powerchords) and some other alternative rock. I hate to stomp on my distortion pedal at times because I miss the clean sound! I highly recommend this to beginner guitarists. If it was stolen I would probably get a different guitar, not because I dont like this guitar but because I would probably like to try something else! I noticed that this doesnt rattle very much unless you pluck to E string too hard, which is unlike most beginner guitars I've played (Squier, Encore and some more, some other random ones I forgot the name of) I love the fret board on this guitar, it looks and feels far superior to other guitars of the same price but I disliked the strings that came with it, they gave a very dull tone and had little sustain as if they were very old, (not a very nice first impression, especially for beginners) the guitar sounds 100 pounds better with decent strings! I wish it had 2 tone dials, not that the one it has isnt sufficient, but because I'm picky! note that I compared this guitar with the guitars I've played of the same price. I am yet to find a better guitar for this price! // 8

X20 Reviewed by: jjones5, on november 06, 2015

Features: The guitar has an alder body and maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and decent frets from the factory. It is set up with SSH, 5 way switch, tone and volume controls. The inside of the electronics cavity is shielded and the tremolo is grounded properly. It has a floating tremolo, which is THE down side to this guitar especially since it only comes with two springs from the factory. If you are going to use the trem, buy three more springs and make it stiffer, if you don't use the trem then lock it in place. I personally hate trems so I made a lock for it out of inch thick plastic. Even though I hate trems, this guitar was and is a great purchase. // 8

Sound: The pickups on this guitar are nice, very nice. I play everything from classic rock, heavy metal, grunge, and some folk, blue-grass (ya, it really pisses off the rest of the band). The pickups can be down right nasty, gritty things or nice clean peachy little sound makers. The neck is not that bad, the action should be set a bit lower than you think it should. With that said, this neck is a bit picky if you don't have the bridge set right and/or the nut is off a little. Other than that, the guitar has the right sound for almost anything (I have yet to find something it cannot play, other than country, and that's more the player, myself, refusing). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have owned this guitar for over 12 years. It looks great. The wood has not cracked, the paint has not faded. As long as you treat it right, this guitar should last. Washburn did a solid on this guitar. There are no problems with the fit or finish that I can find. The tuners are smooth and work like a baby's pinky finger. The pots are 500k with metal knobs and all the electronics are put together very well. The pickups are black and the whole guitar is shiny black with a nice little grey metal flake in it, makes one want to smash a squash like a drunk monkey in a suit of armor. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability? Seriously? I had to shelve this guitar for a few years due to some issues that did not allow me to play. When I pulled it back out, I hooked it up to a tuner just for giggles to see how bad the tuning was, the strings were, etc... NOTHING was wrong. It was still in tune, the neck was still straight, and since I kept the climate controlled, the wood was still solid. Let me say it again, This guitar stayed IN TUNE for over 4 years! Yes, this is a solid guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: Washburn did us a favor making this guitar, and pricing it so cheap. I love it, mostly. I hate the floating trem, it's nothing against this one in particular, I hate ALL floating trems. The only reason I chose this guitar in the first place is because it was a special that Musician's Friend had at their outlet store in KC. Am I glad I picked this particular guitar? Heck yeah! I would buy this one again if the price were right. It is a great guitar for the money. // 9

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ N1 7.3 Electric Guitars 08/07/2015