X40 Review

9.6
 8.5
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
X40 Reviewed by: valennic, on october 27, 2008

Features: This guitar is a solid Alder body guitar with a bolt on neck. It was made in Korea, but it's amazing for what it is. A 24 jumbo fret neck gives you a two octave range per string, plenty of space for soloing, and the finish on this guitar is gorgeous. The style of the body is a Strat style, with a licensed double locking Floyd Rose, with a locking nut and grover tuners. The pickups in this guitar are a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the Bridge, and a '59 in the neck. One of the more interesting features is the coil tap that this guitar comes with, giving you an immense range of tones. If all this wasn't enough, it's neck is maple, giving it a very smooth feel, and it's got a rosewood fretboard. All in all, incredible for what it is. // 10

Sound: I play deathcore, death metal, fusion jazz, progressive, and so on. This guitar can do ANY of these with ease, and do it good too. I've yet to play a guitar other than this one that can do what this one can, it puts out the heaviest distortion, and the smoothest cleans. I'm using this guitar with a Peavey Valveking 112, no effects, and it sounds great. My only real issue with it is this, when you tap the coils, it creates this insane buzzing sound, even though this is possibly due to electrical interference on my part, it's still quite annoying. The tone from this guitar is naturally quite bright, due to the tonewood of the guitar, but with a thicker guage of strings, it will produce a nice, full sound. As I've always said, it's the guitarist, not the guitar that makes the real difference, and this guitar will make any sound you want it to, and will do it with ease. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, the action was a bit high, so I had to lower it, because it was painfully high. The pickups were also a bit too high for me, so I lowered them, other than that, it was set up great. The bridge was routed perfectly, no flaws in it's setup, and thsi guitar has few flaws if any. My knobs tend to come off, so I had to tighten them, and the pickup selector is only noisy if you throw it into another position too quickly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would without a doubt standup to any live playing. It's built like a tank, and I think it will last me for years to come. The strap buttons are put on really tight, no danger of them coming off, although I do reccommend strap locks, as straps tend to fall off. I would trust an entire gig to this guitar, without a backup, I trust this guitar to an incredible extent. The finish on this guitar is absolutely stunning, and it will stay as long as you don't do anything to remove it. (ex, sandpaper, chizels, cats) Playing has no effect on the finish other than the smudge from your hands, and even then, this guitar is still beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before, I play a wide range of music, mostly Death metal and Jazz, and this guitar does both of these without any problem at all. I've been playing for a year and three months, and I currently own three other guitars. I played this guitar quite a bit before I traded my old guitar for it. I traded a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser for this guitar, and I don't regret it in the slightest. If this guitar were stolen, I would hunt down the guy Who stole it and rip his head off, and then proceed to play my guitar. I absolutely love the feel of this guitar, the look, the sound, and the only thing I hate is the coil taps making that buzzing. My favorite feature is probably the whammy bar, it's just too much fun. I compared this to a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, a Gibson Les Paul, a Dean Razorback, a Gibson SG, and a Fender MIA Strat. I chose this because out of all of these, this guitar did everything I wanted, while the other guitars only did bits and pieces of what I wanted. This guitar is perfect as is to me, and I wouldn't trade it for any other. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ XM-STD2 8.3 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014