X50 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 11/28/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: X50
It is the same as the X50PRO except with Washburn pickups.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.7
 9.5
 7.8
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
X50 Reviewed by: xmarksthespot03, on march 27, 2006

Features: Made in 2002, I don't know many people who own it but it is the same as the X50PRO except with Washburn pickups. Made in Korea. 21 frets I like the neck which is slim and smooth. Easily to slide from nick to low on the neck. It's perfect for punk/emo music and even can cover for metal. The paint job is cherry sunburst flame maple. I've gotten many compliments that it looks just as good as some PRS guitars which as you know are much more money. The thing I like about this guitar is it has the Buzz Feiten tuning system which I only have to tune the guitar about every 2 months. Overall it's the best guitar I have played at its price. // 10

Sound: It's very versatile from metal to blues. I'd lean toward more rock though. I play through a Ibanez Tube Screamer, Boss Flanger, and Boss Chorus. The stock pickups are fine for jamming in your basement, but might need to be replaced for live gigging. But than stock would do just fine. It has absolutely no feedback and has full distorted tones. It's just as deep as any Les Paul I've played. The sound is crisp even through distorted soloing and every note rings. Other than the pickups for serious live shows, it's perfect. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar, I can tell it wasn't taken care of at the shop. It was strung wrong and had defective strings. I got that fixed and I never put it down. The pickups were perfectly adjusted. The action was a tad high but I adjusted that within 2 minutes. I haven't had any fret buzz or any loose or defective hardware. The pickup selector Switch can easily be noticed when switching from heavy to light which I like for palm muting and riffs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for 2 years now and I havent had any problems I dropped it a couple of times and it didn't even go outta tune. I didn't need straplocks with this guitar which I found surprising when it took me 15 minutes just to get a strap on. Which is worth the time and saving money on straplocks. I've played some gigs infront of a lot of people with this guitar and itl always be my # 1. It's the only electric I own. I plan on getting a really cheap guitar to back it up but dont intend on using it. Only in case of emergency. I have seen no wear on the guitar. Only some buckle rash on the back, which is my fault. But I can tell this guitar will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I have had no complaints with this guitar. I've been playing for 3 years now and own another Washburn acoustic since they are very popular around where I live near Chicago (Washburn headquarters). If it was lost or stolen, I would be heartbroken since I don't know where I would get another one since they are discontinued. I would definitely get another Washburn however. I love the neck-thru body and the finish. It really sticks out from other guitars at this price. It almost looks identical to the Fender Showmaster flame maple top in cherry sunburst. I was lucky to get it 420 since I looked up the retail at 800 dollars. I just wish it had some Seymour Duncan pickups. That's the only thing. // 10

X50 Reviewed by: Minderbinder, on november 28, 2006

Purchased from: Brookdale Music

Features: 2000 guitar. Made in Korea in a US Washburn shop. It has 24 frets, joined at the 19 on top, but cut-away all on the bottom for easy acces to all 24. Maple neck on a Rosewood fingerboard. Solid Mahogony Body. Quilted top. String-thru body. One volume, one gain, and one three-way Switch. Buzz Feiten tuning system with 18:1 ratio Grover tuners. Came with it's own hard-case. Good price for all of that. // 10

Sound: I play the span of the sixties. And the span of the sixties had British, blues, jazz, rock, and new technique influences. I play a lot of styles and a lot of different ways. This guitar covers it all. I use it with A Fender FM 212 DSP amp. It sounds great. But, playing at lessons, church, school all have different amps, and it's fine with all of them. Some more expensive (school) and some small practice amps (church). I also own a Brian Moore 81.13, and the X-50 is a match for it. It bends perfectly, slides noiselessly, and you can make the transition from barr chord to barr chord without that awful scratching noise. The guitar has two humbucking pickups, but the gain knob pulls out slightly to kill half of a humbucker, giving you a humbucker and a single coil. Just pull it out when you want it, the push it back in. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I cannot rate the set-up, because I got it from a music store where it was out in the open foe a while with most of the other guitars. Anything that was wrong at the factory, they would have fixed long before the guitar was put out on display. But I know that they put it out the day thay got it, so it couldn't be that bad. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will probobly out last me. I would (and do) go on gigs without a back up, with the exception of the Brian Moore, only because it is compatable with my synth. I have owned this guitar for five years, and it has pulled through great. I have one problom with it though: when you play and your pick hits the humbuckers, it scratches almost immediately. For such expensive tuners, I would think that the pickups would be a little sturdier. // 8

Overall Impression: I have beeen playing for eight years, so I know what I like in a guitar, and the Washburn X-50 is as close to a perfect match as I will ever find. I also own a Brian Moore 81.13, Roland GR-20 guitar synth, DigiTech GNX3, along with a Martin acoustic, Alvarez acoustic, and two Washburn acoustics. I only mention the acoustics because there are two Washburns there, so it shows that I trust Washburn instruments. I also own a Washburn mandolin, so in short, they have my business for life. If stolen, I would probobly replace it with the upgraded X-50, simply because thay don't make X-50 anymore, and the upgrade has all of the same features, plus more. I love the two humbucker pickup or humbucker pickup and sindle coil Switch on the guitar. I am only a little upset with the pickups not being as sturdy for the money as I had hoped, but overall, it is a wonderful instrument. // 9

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WM24 Renegade 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/10/2014