X50PRO Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 08/15/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: X50PRO
Washburn has loaded this Set Neck, String Through masterpiece with Duncan pickups to create an instrument with searing style and tantalizing tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 8.3
reviews (8) pictures (3) 32 comments vote for this gear:
X50PRO Reviewed by: vitchb, on april 18, 2008

Purchased from: Rich tone UK

Features: This guitar was made in korea, and boasts 24 frets, 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers (custom/custom & 59')string thru body, set neck, buzz feiten tuning system, a coil tap, grover tuners, and volume & tone control. All in all, a lot of quality features for great versitility. // 8

Sound: I play metal mostly, which is probably not the best type of music to play on this. However, this doesnt't mean it doesnt't sound great, for mid gain stuff this thing really shines. The custom custom pickup is very warm, powerful and punchy yet Still Remains quiet. With the 59' (neck pup) you can get some awesome clean tones with the coil up, or down on the bridge for a warmer clean. With distortion, especially through a tube amp, the pickups give a really thick and full tone, this is great for rock. When it comes to metal, I think I lacks a little hotness, and it doesnt't quite get there for that, but still performs well (because of it I've replaced it with an EMG 81). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where I feel the guitar is best, and stands leagues above so many guitars. Even from out the box, it plays brilliantly. Because the strings are slack, the guitar is just effortless to play, and it cuts down mistakes too! I set the action slightly lower, so it's now barely above the frets, yet it still does not buzz, even in drop C and lower each note is still perfect. And of course with the buzz feiten system, the intonation isnt killed from doing so. The combination of real low action, super fast fretboard, and perfectly thin neck makes this a real pleasure to use. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Had no problems yet with it, had it about 18 months. It's really well built, the wood and finish is solid and hard to chip, and the harware is fixed firmly with no wobbling. I feel safe to use this for a gig. The strap buttons were very solid, I replaced them with locking buttons becuase I had some, and getting the originals out was a very difficuly job, required a few tools, I don't think it would come out by accident! // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing almost 7 years now, prodominatly metal nowerdays. I play this through my mesa f100 head, and Marshall 1960 cab, and I also own an Ibanez RG350. This guitar kills the Ibanez in terms of playability and general quality, but the stock pickups in the RG are better for metal than the seymour's, but I've replaced my one of my seymours anyway (bridge). If it were lost or stolen, well I'd cry, but I'd for sure get another one, especially as they are so damn cheap now! But I would most likely get the FE version with EMG's pre installed. The only things I had gripes with was the fact that it wasn't great for my metal style in terms of sound (not how it plays), but that's just me, it's awesome for pretty much everything else, but they do the FE for metal players anyway! If you want a great sounding, and even greater playing guitar for cheap, go for it. // 9

X50PRO Reviewed by: PuppyWu, on june 28, 2004

Features: This guitar was made in 2003 I believe. Has 24 easily accesable frets. It has a beautiful quilted maple top. It has a 3-way selector with coil tap. It has two Seymour Duncan humbuckers. A custom-custom in the bridge, and 59 model in the neck. It has a Buzz Feiten tuning system. The guitar came with a Washburn hardcase. // 10

Sound: I play many styles of music, rock, punk, ska, and it fits them all. I can any kind of sound I want with it, in addition to my Digitech RP 100. Beautiful clean sound and awesome distortion sound, it has a nice crunch to it. There are an endless variety of sounds you can make with the guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is a little high, but once I get new strings I can fix the action. There were not many flaws with the guitar. The finish picks up finger prints easily, which can be a problem, but I don't mind. Stays in tune very well, even after long playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You could definatly go through an entire gig without switching guitars, due to the variety of sounds, and versatility. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an excellent guitar and would recommend it to anyone. It is much better than my old Jackson, and plays similarly to my Music Man. However, the sound of the X50PRO is way better than the other two. I'm not sure if I would purchace it again, but for the price, nothing offers better sound and versatility. This guitar is fantastic. I am very pleased with my purchace. // 10

X50PRO Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2005

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This is a USA built model that came to me via the original owner in Northern Ireland. It has a Rosewood 25 fret neck with a classy blue finish on the body. It has a string-thru body with volume and tone control and a 3-way pick up selector. There is a Seymour Duncan 59 re-issue on the neck and a SD Custom-Custom on the bridge with the Buzz Feiten tuning system included as standard. // 10

Sound: The first thing that hits you with this guitar is the tone, it simply swells out of the amp (even my lowly Fender practice box). From the moment I played the first notes, I knew I was smitten. There is no buzz on any of the frets and the sustain is superb. Plugging it through my Zoom 707 II turns it into an even more versatile instrument. The only problem seems to be that it has too much power for my current settings and I'm going to have to spend some serious time in adjusting to it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect. Not too low, but easy and ultimately playable. For a second-hand machine, it is in superb condition and the hardware is setup for the perfect sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is going to be my new gig guitar and I know I can trust it to keep me going through the whole show. The body finish does tend to show up the fingermarks, but this shouldn't be major problem. // 10

Overall Impression: The X50PRO can adapt to everything I am playing at the moment (Texas to Green Day). The Buzz Feiten tuning system really does make a difference. Even with my electronic tuner, there was always a slight difficulty with the perfect sound, but now I don't have that problem. I looked at a Jackson and a Hamer before settling on the Washburn and to my mind, these don't hold a candle to the X50PRO. // 10

X50PRO Reviewed by: Xhur, on november 14, 2005

Sound: This gitar suits all the styles I play (blues, metal, hard rock, classic rock). I use a Marshall MG15CDR and a Boss Metal Zone pedal with it and I get a really nice distortion with it, and a nice early Metallica sound. It has a really good clean sound and the coil tap really works wonders getting that old Vintage sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this the action was near perfect, the pckups where great and the bridge was fine, all of the guitar was in perfect condition apart from a few smudges on the body from playing in-store. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing and I've used it at a few gigs. The hardware will last a long time and I can depend on it, I'd use it at a gig without back up with no hesitation. The strap buttons are very secure and it is a very dependable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a few styles of music (mostly metal). It is a good match for the styles I play. I have been playing for 1 year, I also own a Marshall MG15CDR, Boss MT-2, and a no-name acoustic. If it was stolen I'd buy another one hands down. I love the feel and weight of this guitar ir is very comfortable, the only thing I dislike is that the finish gets smudges on it too easy. But that is easy to clean. I compared it to the following guitars: Ibanez SZ250, Yamaha Pacifica, Washburn I64, Fender Strat (Mex). // 10

X50PRO Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 20, 2005

Purchased from: Music City, NL

Features: There are 24 easily accessible frets, and has a pretty fat neck which is good for Rhythm, but is small enough for a well rounded lead. The body is made from Mahogany while the fret board is made from rosewood which together makes an awesome metal axe. It has a quilted maple carved top, with a Strat style body which I think is sexy as hell. It is loaded with a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and has two pots, one for volume and another for tone and if pulled out splits pickups for a single coil tone which broadens this guitars tone horizons. This specific guitar came standard with two Washburn Headhunter pickups which were awesome pickups but in my guitar now I have an EMG 81 in the bridge for a sharp heavy tone and an EMG 60 in the neck for a blusier, more jazzier tone. The tuners on this axe are grover 18:1 tuners. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my styles of playing perfectly through tone and playability. I play music from CCR to Killswitch Engage and it hasn't let me down yet. I use the X50PRO through a Randall RG100SC 100 watt amp, with the Metal Zone MT-2 distortion pedal and the Ibanez delay and echo pedal. My specific model has no problem with annoying fret buzz or anything like that it isn't noisy at all, yet! This guitar due to it pull out pot to split pickups can reach just about any tone or sound from a country song to a death Metal ear splitting metal song. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up awesome at the store and when I was trying it I fell in love with the look, fell, and playability of it. The action on the guitar straight out of the shop was set to a lead style which I needed. The pickups were well adjusted and there were no routing flaws or any flaws at all in fact. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should withstand most live play, I can't see why it can't its a profesional level guitar and should stand the test of the road or even just one night on stage. The hardware is very sturdy and no problems should pop up in the near future. Everything about this guitar is solid from the feel to the strap buttons, it shouldn't be falling apart on me any time soon. I would definetly depend on this even without having another guitar to back her up. The finish on this guitar is awesome and was definetly put on well it doesn't seem thin and isn't rubbing off with excess playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I have a wide variety of styles from CCR to Led Zeppelin to Mudvayne to Killswitch Engage and this guitar has the ability to match them. I have been playing for about four years now and some other gear I own are the Metal Zone MT-2, the Ibanez delay and echo, and a DigiTech RP-80 guitar processor. I have no regrets in buying this axe and hopefully never will in the future. If it were ever lost or stolen I would hunt down the bastard and do very bad things to him/her, but if I didn't get it back I would probably shop around again because you should always be open to newer possibly better things. The things I mostly love about this guitar is the sexy look, the awesome ferocious sound it expels, and the awesome playability. One thing I hated though was that I couldn't split my EMG's but my 60 sounded perfect anyways, so all is well. I compared it to a lot of other guitars such as the LTD Viper 400 which I loved also and will have one in the future. Both guitars sounded awesome with EMG pickups but the Washburn was cheaper. // 10

X50PRO Reviewed by: d-show, on december 01, 2009

Purchased from: ''TAVA SKANA''

Features: Made in Indonesia, bought in latvia.24 frets. Mahogany Body. Quilted maple carved top. String thru body. Tune-o-matic bridge.Mahogany set neck. Rosewood fingerboard. Nut width: 43mm. Seymour Duncan '59 reissue neck pickup. Seymour Duncan Custom Custom bridge pickup. 3-way toggle Switch.Exclusive Grover 18:1 gear ratio tuners. Gloss finish. Buzz Feiten Tuning System. I really love the look of neck but I HATE that there aren't inlys on it, so its harder to play. // 8

Sound: I think this guitar pretty much suits my style (alternative, grunge, punk, clasiic). It is not noisy at all. Great guitar with very, very powerful fat sound. With my amp (for now) Laney LX12 its makes powerful my style sounds. I will change pickups to Seymour Duncan alnico || pro. But these are fine too! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up is pretty damn good (its made in Indonesia). Pickups are adjusted very well but anyways I'll change them to Seymour Duncan alnico || pro. Guitar finish and set up is fine.I really love the look of neck but I HATE that there arent inlys on it, so its harder to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't play live yet, but I'm sure that with its powerful fat sound its great for gigs. I think its well made guitar so my prediction is a long life for it. Strap buttons are very big, hard and solid. I realy wish that there would be neck inlays becouse if you play in a dark place its hard to figure out where you are. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it fits my style but not perfect! This is my 2nd guitar and i get it 2 days ago. Its my best guitar yet.Ill be very sad if I lost it becouse I spend a lots of money for this one, but I wanted a Epiphone les paul.I really love the look of neck but I HATE that there aren't inlys on it, so its harder to play. // 8

X50PRO Reviewed by: Mr.Feather, on may 31, 2010

Purchased from: DigitalVillage

Features: Made in Indonesia, not sure what year. It has 24 frets, a rosewood fingerboard, and a set neck. Flamed maple carved top. Mahogany body. There is a transparent red finish, however I have the transparent black finish. They are both beautiful designs, however the black looks like a brown, cola-colour in internet pictures. It looks nothing like that in real life. It's a dark grey/black with slightly darker shaded marks. I often sit back and look at it, admiring it's beauty. And that's not a joke. String-thru body, tune-o-matic bridge, bridge pickup is an EMG 81, neck pickup is an EMG 85. Volume control, tone control, 3-way pickup selector. It has 'Exclusive Grover 18:1 gear ratio tuners'. Not sure what that means, but it stays in tune brilliantly, and I change tuning a lot (from Standard to drop C, occasionally to C standard). Suits everything I need. // 10

Sound: I play mainly metal, and the EMGs in this are incredible for it. I currently only have a Line 6 Spider III, but I'm hoping to get a POD X3 soon, and I'll use that all the time. Even through the Spider it sounds fine, but through some of the better amps at school (my school's not that rich, they're only half-decent solid-state amps. No fancy tubes) it sounds very nice indeed. Crunchy distorted riffs, delicious lead/solo tones, and the neck pickup is wonderful, too. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. For those tasty clean sounds, both pickups are great, too. There's not a huge amount of variety, but if you play metal or hard rock, then this is an excellent guitar for you. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was fantastic. Pickups were fantastic. Everything was done properly, and without a problem. The battery for the pickups that it came with didn't last too long, but that's hardly worth marking it down. The little cover for said battery did snap off the first time I changed the battery, but it was mainly my fault for crushing it. It still stays attached unless you open it, but it's slightly loose. Still, it's an easy 10. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Keeping this section short and sweet... I would definitely gig without a backup if I had this. I'd always carry a spare battery, but I trust it completely. Strap buttons are very solid, no problems. Hardware seems very durable, and I'm almost certain it'll last a long time. I've banged and bashed it a few times, but I've found nothing more than a tiny scratch. Very nice. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal as I said, and this is a perfect match. Obviously it's not the standard, spiky metal guitar shape, but I don't care. It looks brilliant. I've been playing for about 20 months, and I don't own a lot of gear. This is the best guitar I've owned, and I won't need to purchase another 6 string for a long time. If it were stolen/lost, I'd definitely get it again, after burning the person who stole it. It is a wonderous piece of machinery, and I love it. If you play metal, and this seems like the sort of guitar you're looking for, you won't find anything better for the price. I'm pretty sure it would be a good competitor against guitars 200 more expensive than itself. Incredible guitar. // 9

X50PRO Reviewed by: Fenderexpx50, on august 15, 2011

Purchased from: Music123

Features: The guitar has an arched top mahogany body with a quilted maple top, but I don't know how thick the top is. The neck is also made of mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. It has 24 frets, what I think are medium jumbos. It's finished in a transparent wine red and has creme binding on the body and neck. Hardware wise, it's got the Standard Grover 18-1 tuning machines, a string through tune o matic bridge, and what looks like a graphite nut. Electronics consist of two Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups. A SH-11 Custom Custom and an SH-1n '59. There is a 3 way toggle Switch and a master tone and volume control, with the tone functioning as a coil split to both pickups. // 9

Sound: This guitar fits what I do quite well actually. I don't play one type of music exclusively, a mix of metal, classic rock, and more classical elements. I will say that I mainly play with distortion and this guitar can handle that really well. I right now use a Fender Champ 25SE for gigs and that amp has a BBE Green Screamer and a '80 MXR Distortion + going into it. The pickups are high enough output that I can do riffs from say "Blizzard Of Ozz" and Megadeth and get the sound I want for those. They remain articulate and responsive through the use of gain. The SH-11 is absolutely perfect for me in that it's not really bass heavy. It feels like it sits well EQ wise, really a neutral, organic sound. The '59 is good under distortion as well, but it doesn't take well to detuning lower than Eb. Now it may be the thick mahogany body, but it mushed up when I put the guitar in Standard D tuning. Higher up in Eb and E, it sounds great. Slightly mid scooped, but has good definition and again, remains clear. Clean, both pickups provide a useful tone. It's not overly compressed nor muddy at all. With the coil tap, you've got 6 different sounds on this guitar. It's really a workhorse instrument. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Needed a set up, but I didn't expect that I wouldn't need to. The nut was cut a slight bit high. That was it. I moved the pickups closer to the strings, but that's an individual thing. Everyone likes that different anyway. No finish flaws and no build flaws. The tone pot is a bit off, feels rather loose when I move it. Maybe it's because it's the push/pull. And it really is only 10 or 0, but every guitar I've owned is like that. I don't really have that fine of hearing for it. So in 6 years it's held up well. I play it a lot and frets aren't really wearing much yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played with it live a few times and it functioned just like it should. Everything on it seems like it will last as long as I do. I don't have strap locks, but it felt secure on the stock ones. I don't and never would gig without a backup. I always have two others, more for different tone and tuning, but they serve as backups as well. I figure if people are paying to see me play, I need to play. The finish is a polyester gloss and hasn't worn at all. It's pretty thick. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a mix of things, but it gravitates more toward metal, rock, and classical. I've been playing 13 years or so. Other than this the only other working instrument I have is a 1987 Ibanez RG560. I recently sold a Gibson SG and a Strat. Sucks when you have to do that to pay bills. Over the years before college, I had various Gibson LP's, from Studios to Customs, SG's, Jacksons, a Kramer Baretta, and other superstrat type guitars. I also have a Vox Valvetronix for home practice and the two pedals. I really hope it doesn't get lost or broken. You don't see these too often, especially not left handed. I really chose it over price. They were getting rid of these and I knew it was a great price for it. I really only would want locking tuning machines and maybe individual volumes, but just small things like that. Overall, it's a great guitar. If you find one, they're a great value. // 9

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WI66PRO 8.6 Electric Guitars 04/28/2014