X50PROFE Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 07/11/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Washburn: X50PROFE
This guitar is perfect for modern metal of all sorts, and is equally accustomed to stunning cleans. Accompanied by other serious metal gear, this is a kicka-s guitar.
 8.8
 7.2
review (1) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
X50PROFE Reviewed by: TheRiffGod, on july 11, 2012

Features: I have the X50PROFE, so it specs up like this: - Mahogany Body - Flamed maple carved top - String thru body - Tune-o-matic bridge - Set neck - Rosewood fingerboard - Nut width: 43mm - X50PRO FE Pickups: - EMG 81 neck - EMG 85 bridge - 3-way toggle switch - Exclusive Grover 18:1 gear ratio tuners - Gloss finish - Buzz Feiten Tuning System // 8

Sound: I Play primarily very technical Metalcore, TMDM and DJent, although I do sometimes venture into Jazz and Reggae, and this guitar does it perfectly. I run my PROFE via a Boss SD-1 (heavily modded), into a Runy equipped Peavey 6505, and out of a Crate FW412A cab. The sound, thanks to the amazing EMG 81/85 combo is astonishing. I mainly play in the bridge position (81) and the sound is crisp, clear, and cuts through, without ever being harsh. Those PUs are smooth as, and perfect for everything Parkway Drive, IKTPQ, Caliban, ADTR, KsE or Times Of Grace. There is also NO hum in the background, which is a big positive for high-output PUs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The PROFE was set up as well as it possibly could have been, besides me wanting 12-52 gauge strings, as opposed to the 10-48 stocked. The action is impossibly low, and for technical playing it is unbeatable. Of all the guitars I have played (ESP, Schecter, Gibson, Epiphone, Jackson, MK) this is by far the best I have played for my styles of interest. The pickups were at a good height for the vast majority of players, but I raised them by a couple of MM, just because I really like that brutal and crushing super-high gain sound. The hardware is perfect too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged this thing loads and it never fails. It just delivers show after show after show. Everything feels superbly made and seriously well attached, so no worries about having any future issues either. The finish is nothing other than beautiful, I adore flamed maple and the STB colour is the perfect balance between dark and elegant. having played very excessively for years, I can honestly say the paint job is top-quality. The strap buttons weren't suitable for what I wanted, so I swapped them for Straploks, but if you don't fly about the stage and speed, the stock buttons are fine. I do gig it without a backup, it is just flawless. // 9

Overall Impression: In conclusion this guitar is perfect for modern metal of all sorts, and is equally accustomed to stunning cleans. Accompanied by other serious metal gear, this is a kicka-s guitar. The ONLY thing I would like different is the bridge and nut system, as I prefer full Floyd Rose Special tremolos and locking nuts of Graphtech. I never tried the PROF with Seymour Duncan Blackouts to compare the PU's affect on sound, but I guess that thanks to the mahogany construction the SDBs would sound awesome too. In terms of it being stolen: A) I wouldn't let it leave my sight to happen B) If I couldn't protect i,t I would DEFINITELY search endlessly for another one in mint condition or new and get it ASAP. My options when I bought this were PROFE vs ESP LTD MH-1000FR STBLK, and I just preferred how much more natural the PROFE felt. I also preferred the finish very slightly. IAH though, I am likely going to end up buying a MH-1000FR anyway too. I LOVE MY Washburn X50PROFE LIKE FAMILY!!! // 9

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX10 8 Electric Guitars 10/17/2014