Acryl-o-Paul Review

manufacturer: Wesley date: 09/01/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Wesley: Acryl-o-Paul
Overall, pretty impressed, it suits me well. I love the look and hate that it's probably not permanent.
 7.7
 7.6
 7.8
review (1) pictures (2) 28 comments vote for this gear:
Acryl-o-Paul Reviewed by: AcidJazzFan5000, on september 01, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: No idea what year it was ade but all the smart money says it was made in the far East probably China. 22 frets on a rosewood neck, nothing mind-blowing to be honest all the I was pleased with the neck. The profile is a lot more comfortable and a lot easier to use than the neck on my Strat-copy. No finish or body wood because it's acrylic. No idea on the neckwood because the manufacturer appears to be deliberately ambiguous. Modified Les Paul body shape, like a normal Les Paul only with wider 'hips' and a thinner 'bust'. Tune-O-Matic bridge no obvious faults there and all the electronics are passive, one thing to note is my model had a distinct earthing problem the neck pickup would hum if the tone wasn't all the way up and the bridge pickup would hum if the volume wasn't all the way up. Not sure if this is a manufacturer problem or the seller tinkering around with it, doesn't really annoy me too much even though they are, 'humbuckers'; the clue's in the title really. H-H pickup configuration, mainly the reason I bought it. No accessories as it was second hand. // 7

Sound: It suits me well, the main problem I had with the old guitar was that when you reached the higher frets (5+) it became quite tinny even on the the neck pickup (this was an S-S-S). No such problem, smooth and mellow all the way up. I generally play alot of metal and blues and I generally go for a bassier distorted sound which this does quite well. Although if you want a bright tone I suggest you look elsewhere as even on the bridge this thing maintains the warm, mellow bassy tones. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Played like a dream out of the protective packaging, sure it needed a quick tune but that was about it. One quick note is that the back was scratched up something scary. Probably just a belt buckle or something scuffing it as the previous owner played but it was definitely noticeable. But probably only if you play the guitar. I've covered the pickup issues previously. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will probably not withstand any serious beating and a backup at this point is pure common sense. I don't trust the strap buttons at all as this is a seven kilo guitar and I've had problems with my Strat's buttons and that weighs easily half as much. I don't see this guitar standing the test of time well, and it does worry me that what happened at the back might transfer to the front due to a lack of pickguard. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, pretty impressed. Been playing for a year, only got serious like eight months back and even then I've only been looking into tone recently at which point I realised I needed some variety. I play it through my Laney LX12, 10volt amp which is alright until you crank the crunch up to eleven and which point it sounds like soggy cereal, but that's not the guitars fault. If it were stolen I'd be annoyed and it would take a long hard while for me to think about buying another one but it's not certain either way. I love the look and hate that it's probably not permanent. It was ebay though and I took what I could get for such a bargain price. I wish it had a pickguard because I will lose sleep at night thinking of the scratch marks. // 9

More Wesley reviews rating category latest review
+ Tupelo 4.3 Electric Guitars 02/22/2013