EX100OS Review

manufacturer: Wesley date: 09/17/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Wesley: EX100OS
This versatile instument can tear away at an amp like an axe with its double humbucker beefy mellow and warm sound. Black perspex volume and tone rotaries offer each pickup a spectrum of tone. Unplugged with heavy gauge strings this is a great fireside friend. The EX100 sports a tight harp tailpiece secured at the base. This holds the strings in check over a free floating rosewood and tunomatic bridge. Finally the guitar's semi-acoustic abilities are proudly underlined by the the bound-edge f-holes.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 Features: 8.7
 7.7
 8.7
 6.6
reviews (3) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
EX100OS Reviewed by: Ian B, on june 06, 2006

Features: Not sure of year/place of manufacture, but I'd guess at 2005/China. Based on the old Gibson D-series jazz guitars, this model has a 20 (medium) fret hard maple set neck, rosewood fretboard with block markers, a 10.5 cm depth hollow hardwood body finished in sunburst (they call it heritageburst) with 2 bound f-holes. The bridge is a freestanding tunomatic type with a Harp tailpiece. 2 passive humbuckers (unknown make) 2 each of volume and tone pot, with a three way selector. Non-locking closed Die-cast tuners (unknown brand). As usual with Wesley guitars, it came supplied with jack to jack cable and a truss rod key. // 8

Sound: The humbuckers, while not the fattest/brightest I've ever heard, are still more than adequate. The weak points in the overall sound are the tone pots, a bit all or nothing in use, you really need to keep them fully open. More importantly to me, played thro' my cheap and cheerful DigiTech RP50 and Roland Microcube, the humbuckers are silent, no matter how much distortion I use to record to my sequencer/PC. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was excellent out of the box, a low action with a couple of fret buzzes, but nothing the wasn't easily fixed. Both pickups were correctly adjusted. No obvious flaws, the finish is good and the hardware seems well made and fitted. Not for the first time on a guitar, I found the nut set too high for my taste, but it was easily adjusted. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've not had it long enough to form a definite opinion on durability. My only concern would be the weight, it's a real lightweight, I've owned heavier acoustics. // 7

Overall Impression: I just wanted a third electric guitar to offer me something different (playability/sound wise) to my other two, and this guitar certainly gives that. This is yet another example of just how good Wesley guitars are in relation to the cost. The list price is 179 (and is well worth that) but I got mine via Wesleys ebay auctions for 70.68, a stunning bargain. If anyone reading this has ever wanted a 'budget' big body jazz type guitar, this model would be ideal. It's by no stretch of the imagination a Gibson D series killer, but you'll get a hell of a lot of guitar for your money. Highly recmmended. // 9

EX100OS Reviewed by: Shadow120, on january 30, 2008

Purchased from: eBay - WesleyGuitars

Features: Assumes made in the UK, archtop (ashtop) with "heritage burst" finish. Hard maple neck hardwood body, 10.5 cm depth. 20 fret rosewood fingerboard. Dual humbucker pickups. Die-cast chrome machine heads. Chrome hardware. Included 2.5m cable. 3-way selector switch, 4 controls: 2 volume, 2 tone. // 10

Sound: I play various styles, mostly acoustic/rockabilly, and this guitar suits them all perfectly, you could even pull off a metal/grunge song with it's beefy humbuckers, which is a rare spectacle in an Archtop-Semi. I've played it through a Line6 Spider II combo, and it sounds great on all settings, everything from the "insane" setting to the "clean" setting with a lot of reverb sounds perfect. No feedback from guitar running through a Danelectro Fab-Tone, or even through a POD 2.0 with the noisegate switched off and the gain on full, Wesley have really outdone themselves on the sound of this guitar, it looks great and the sound suits any style imaginable. Also sounds great without an amp, better than my Ibanez acoustic by a long shot. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Only two very minor criticisms on this guitar, one is that the fret-buzz became rather annoying, but I discovered this to be the fault of the bride, and simply re-aligned the bridge (just pushed it back a few mm) and it was perfect. Another is that the wood seems to be very well made, but very fragile, I would not leave this guitar out of it's case for too long because I'm quite clumsy when it comes to expensive objects. I'm yet to have this guitar serviced by a licensed professional, but I can pretty much guarantee that there was no faults on this guitar at the time of receipt. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can see this guitar standing up well at a gig, but as with any guitar only costing 100 quid, Who really cares how long the hardwares going to last? The way I see it, if this guitar lasts over a year, I'll be happy and think I paid a good price for a quality instrument, and I would definitely buy another, but with that said, this guitar will probably last me a lifetime. The finish seems to be good quality too, and wont seem to deteriorate over time. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing since I was 7 (9 years) and can honestly say this is the second best guitar I've ever played (The best being my Ibanez SZ720) I've tried a few of my friend's Archtops, and can also honestly say I prefer this guitar to any of their's by a long shot. I have also tried top-range semi-acoustics and can say that for this outstanding price, this guitar matches up, and generously overtakes the competition. I own an Ibanez SZ720, an Ibanez Vintage acoustic (I have no idea of the model number, I purchased it as a project from a charity shop and repaired it myself, apparently it's worth alot, somewhere in the thousands), A Fender Showmaster, a Squier Telecaster, an Encore Strat copy, and a puretone electro-acoustic. I can honestly say this guitar comes in seconds place only to my SZ720 which is possibly the best guitar I've ever played. I also own a Peavey 45watt practice amp, a 75watt Line6 spider II combo, a crybaby-wah, a POD 2.0, a Danelectro fab-tone, a Danelectro fab-chorus, and a line6 tone-port for direct to pc recording. I can safely say this Wesley Archtop plays perfectly through all this gear, and if you own any of the above, you wont be disappointed with the tone this guitar puts out through them. // 10

EX100OS Reviewed by: sparky667, on september 17, 2012

Purchased from: wesleyguitars.co.uk

Features: I purchased this guitar new in early 2011, I believe they're made in the UK by the company, 20 frets, medium-thick c-shape maple neck, laminated top. Four way selector, two chrome humbuckers, individual tone/volume, the tone's all or nothing on the bridge but the neck has a nice low fuzz with the tone rolled all the way down. Perfectly functional, for the price very impressive, I've had this guitar for over a year and a half and the only issue I've had has been with input jack which will occasionally wiggle loose. The tuners had trouble staying in tune initially for some time, but eventually found their groove, I found that if I downtuned the guitar a half step, or even dropped it into an open tuning they stay in place for days. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of country and blues with a lot of slide work, the action's a great height for slide, but easily adjustable if you need some upper fretwork. This guitar is incredibly well suited for anything that happened before about 1980, if you want a nice mellow bluesy sound or a Scotty Moore sound with a bit of reverb it's equal to a far more expensive guitar. It handle distortion well to a point, but will feedback a lot with too much volume. The neck pickup was set up very low and had difficulty picking up anything, but it was easily fixed and has a great sound now. It's not great unplugged, quite tinny, but that's not really what it's made for so the fact that it sounds acceptable at all is good enough. The pickups aren't noisy at all, no idea what brand they are but there's no fuzz even on high volumes (until it starts to feed back) and they can handle a lot of gain very well. The neck pickup is surprisingly bright for a big jazz box, if you wanted something that sounded like The Jam, The Libertines, Buzzcocks, you can handle it very well on this, but I'd say the general rule is that if it happened pre-80's, this guitar is ideal. Think anything Jack White would do, it can do. Amazing quality for the price, couldn't be more satisfied even after some significant time. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only part that lets this guitar down was the setup, even though the issues were all easily fixed. The neck pickup was set too low, the 17th fret was badly finished so the top E string sometimes got caught during a high bend, the input jack comes loose easily and the toggle switch seems flimsy. The electronics have all stayed in place well so far, the tuners did settle in eventually and the nut, bridge and action are all fantastic, so it's not an enormously big deal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has stood up very well after a year and a half of heavy use, with no hard case and intermittent use of a stand at best. It's been all over the country with me, has been stuffed in the backs of cars, left on a beach, covered in piles of mess on my various bedroom floors, fallen down stairs and been knocked and dinged countless times and it's still playing great. It's incredibly light, lighter than any of my acoustic, but it's been battered and beaten and is still perfect. I would absolutely gig it without a backup, sitting down though, as the strap buttons aren't great. The finish, for a cheap veneer, have also held up well, no big cracks or scratches, just standard wear and tear. A surprisingly reliable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I initially bought this guitar because I wanted a big hollowbody like Jack White's Kay to pick up some of the sounds he manages to get out of it that are difficult with a solidbody, and found that for country, blues, rock n roll and a surprising amount of punk and new wave it's incredibly well matched. Wesley don't make guitars anymore, and it's getting to be tough to find one of these on eBay, so if you find one and want a different kind of guitar that sounds very different from a lot of stuff on the market, buy it straight away. I've got a few guitars, I mostly play acoustic, Epiphone Hummingbird, a Gear4Music 12 string (also an astonishingly good value guitar), also an Epiphone Les Paul Jr and a Frankenstein Strat cobbled together with a few different parts, one HOT Rails pickup, Tele neck and Grovers, and this guitar is my favourite. I spend more time playing my Wesley than any other guitar, and if it were stolen, I'd initiate a worldwide manhunt that would shame the McCann family in it's scope. I'm considering getting a bigsby for it, but beyond that, I can think of very few modifications I'd undertake. I've considered switching the pickups out but I'm very happy with its sound so never have. It is almost unbelievable that this guitar went for the price it did. If it were made of better wood, this guitar could have went for 500+ easily. I you find one, buy it. Immediately. // 9

More Wesley reviews rating category latest review
+ Warlock 7.9 Bass Guitars 08/21/2014