Jasper Review

7.2
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Jasper Reviewed by: carreg_cennen, on may 23, 2014

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Not sure of the year of manufacture as it was bought from eBay secondhand.

Features:

- Transparent Acrylic Body
- 22 Fret Rosewood Fingerboard
- Full Scale Hard Maple Neck
- Bridge Humbucker Pickup (black surround)
- Diecast Chrome Machine Heads & Pearl Tuners

The body is clear acrylic (I have also seen blue and purple variants of the body) and just big enough to contain the electrics and the bridge, consequently it is very compact and ideal as a travel guitar. The Single Humbucker pickup is very loud! Neck finish is good and action quite low. I think these are made in China, There is just a single Volume control with a nice metal knob and the tuners are unbranded. Neck is full scale and quite comfortable to play with now rough edges to the frets. Its most outstanding feature is its compact size. And the clear acrylic , although not to everyone's taste does give it an unique appearance! // 8

Sound: It would probably be best suited to playing rock music as the single Humbucker seems to be pretty hot wound and loud. No noticeable noise problems, the body gives a surprising amount of sustain considering its size. Obviously with just a single pickup and volume control (no tone control) the range of sounds available are pretty limited but the quality of these is pretty good. I primarily use it through a Zoom PS02 Palm Studio into headphones for practicing in my lunchtimes, the compact size means that I can sit with it in the car on a rainy day and play without disturbing anyone. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't really comment about the factory setup as it was bought second hand, but I'm guessing it wasn't too bad as it looked to me as if it hardly been played at all (the label was still on it) neck finish is good and action was easily lowered to my taste without any fret buzz. Nice compact headstock and tuners worked ok for a cheap guitar. Volume control works well and the knurled metal finish on the knob is nice strap buttons good and secure although the tiny body does make the guitar neck heavy. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This little beast seems to be as tough as old boots and I have taken it all over the place to practice. The only damage I have managed to inflict was when I knocked it of its wall hanger and it landed on the headstock breaking one of the tuners, the original have now been replaced with slightly better ones so that they match. The Acrylic Body hasn't scratched much surprisingly, and the electrics have held up well. Strap buttons are secured with quite long screws set well into the Acrylic body and aren't going to break easily. Not sure I'd ever gig with this but that's not what it's designed for. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is very good, it's ok for my style of music (blues and rock) but it's obviously a compromise due to its compact design. I have been playing for 40 years and own a variety of other guitars including a Hofner Colorama and a Cort Source. I play through an orange micro terror and a homemade Celestion Vintage 30 cabinet, usually through a range of Effects pedals to achieve the tone/sound I want. My favourite features of this guitar are its compact size coupled with its big sound. On the downside this size makes it pretty neck heavy. I believe some people have used these for slide guitar with some success. The only comparable product I have seen is the Hofner Shorty but I haven't tried one so I cant give a direct comparison. I have given a high score because it does exactly what I wanted it to, and even the new price on these would make them great value for money // 9

More Wesley reviews rating category latest review
+ Warlock 7.9 Bass Guitars 08/21/2014