E1000 Review

manufacturer: Westfield date: 11/30/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Westfield: E1000
Solid body electric guitar with 3 single coil pickups, die cast machine heads, rosewood fret board and 5 way selector switch. Transparent colours feature a pearl scratch plate.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.6
 Features: 6.1
 6.4
 6.3
 6.5
reviews (7) 23 comments vote for this gear:
E1000 Reviewed by: thethrupnybits, on july 03, 2008

Features: This guitar was my first and to be honest it is a very good beginners guitar. It came as a package with a bag, 14W amplifier, tuner, strap, lead and a plectrum. The guitar has 3 coil pickups with a rosewood fretboard and die cast tuners. It has 3 control knobs, one volume and two tone, and a 5-way selector switch. If you want to start learning the electric guitar I would recomend one of these! // 7

Sound: The soundis not fantastic but with the right effects/amplifier it can sound pretty good. I found when sitting infront of my computer the guitar tended to pick up crazy amounts of background fuzz which got really annoying so I was forever turning the volume knob in breaks of songs. This guitar is good for a clean sound but once you kick some distortion into it, it will fuzzz like crazy. You can get a near perfect sound as lynard skynard's sweet home alabama with it through a Marshall MG100DFX. it is very good for electro/acoustic songs, not so much metal. Overall I think the sound is pretty basic. Not a lot of variety can be put into it. But I spose you don't get what you don't pay for. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is brilliant. I found it much easier to play solos (once I learnt how to play them) on this guitar than my mates Epiphone SG. It is a very heavy guitar but well made, I've knocked mine round at gigs loads of times and it still keeps it's Shine. Ok fingerprints and dust can get annoying as the guitar seems to attract them but you just have to Live with it. I changed the control knobs for some novelty dice looking ones about a year after I got the guitar for a new look but this new look came at a price. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is fairly reliable although it failed on me during a gig at school. I'd changed the knobs to dice ones thinking everything would be fine but the connections on the volume control started to wear out when I used the dice. I ended up bashing the guitar over my knee just to get it working. Don't change the volume knobs! I kept the dice on the tone knobs as I don't really use the tone controls that much and changed the volume control back to normal. The guitar worked perfectly after this and I have had no problems with it since. If you make modifications to this guitar just make sure that it can take it before you splash out. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar is an excellent beginners guitar but once you get past the stage of chord bashing it tends to be a little dry and out of character. You can't really play anything with distortion on it and if you do it wont sound fantastic. The one thing I do love about this guitar is it's action. I simply can't compare it to anything else. I even prefer the action on this guitar to my new Jackson KVX10! A brilliant learner guitar. // 7

E1000 Reviewed by: x0dus, on september 05, 2006

Features: I don't know where this guitar was made or what year. Westfield don't have a website so there is no way to find out about it. It has 21 frets and a comfortable Neck. I think it's rosewood but it may vary from guitar to guitar. Its some kind of hardwood as mentioned in the review above, which makes the guitar quite heavy but its a comfortable style (Strat) so you should be fine. I don't know how to describe the finish but it is the kind that leaves fingerprints alot. It's a Strat style but it's quite heavy. It has a Strat style bridge and the saddles are standard ones. The pickups are passive. There is a 5-way selector and a volume as well as 2 tones. The pickup configuration is 3 single coils. The tuners are non locking and unbranded (Westfield's own). No accessories came with mine besides an allen key and an allen wrench to set your guitar up. The guitar comes with Gauge 9 strings. // 6

Sound: This guitar is suited only for beginners to learn on. The sound is so plain it has no character and doesn't really suit any style. I play it on a Behringer GM108 and it does sound quite good clean but doesn't play well with distortion. In my opinion the bridge pickup is shocking, I only use the neck as its the only one which sounds good. I don't use any pedals with it but I've tried many different kinds of amp models on my Behringer and it sounds ok. The pickups don't give too much noise but you might need to lower them if you like to strum as the stock setup isn't very good. It has a very plain sound and only suitable for beginner stuff. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was quite high and I had to set it up myself. The pickups were also quite high and I had to change the height myself. Fortunately Westfield provide allen keys/wrenches to do these alterations. The guitar had no flaws but there is a plastic cover on the pickups and pickguard which doesn't come off very well. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing, it's solid. It won't sound good though. The hardware seems very sturdy, I've often knocked the guitar against walls and furniture and I don't have a single scratch or dent on it. The strap buttons aren't the best so you will need to replace them. I don't play gigs but yes its a very sturdy guitar, I wouldn't use it at a gig unless I was paying them to play so I could hurt their ears. This isn't the kind of guitar you join a band with. It's purely a beginner guitar. The finish seems quite sturdy but my guitar was black so dust shows up really easily on it. The fingerprints are very annoying too. // 6

Overall Impression: I play rock but I am a beginner, this is a good beginners guitar because it's comfortable to hold and is very sturdy. It doesn't sound very exciting on clean so if your looking to have fun this guitar won't supply. I've been playing for a few months and play the guitar through a Behringer GM108. I wish I could have heard this guitar before buying it, It was an impulse online purchase to get me started playing guitar and I wouldn't buy it if I could go back in time. For an extra 30-40 quid you can get a decent beginners guitar not this pile of junk. If it were stolen I'd buy a new, better guitar and not feel bad about losing it at all. I love the fact that its so sturdy and I can handle it without much care. I hate the boring sound, the bridge pickup sucks. The neck is ok and middle is not bad. My favourite feature is... nothing. I compared it to nothing, I wish I did. I wish it had decent pickups at least. A lighter body would also be cool. I also wished it looked like an SG. // 4

E1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2006

Features: It has a rosewood neck and hardwood body witch gives off a little extra weight, 2 tone controls, 1 volume, a 5-way selector and three single coil pick-ups. Its neck has 22 standered sized frets and a laminated top. It is a standered Strat type body and a string-thru body bridge. Unfortunatly, for me mostly, the tuners are non-locking and easily go out of tune with capos and hard strumming. This guitar would not be recomended for live playing, but better for recording or even being a backup guitar, though it does sound well when used with a slide. // 6

Sound: At the minute I am playing a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff and in my opinion can't be flawed for that kind of playing. For people who want that kind of style of sound but are on a bugget this would be the perfect guitar for them. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't flaw the action in any way and the sunburst paint job was beautifully finished. The oniy problem I found was that the tuning pegs were either too loose or too tight making it a real pain when it comes to tuning the guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar probably shouident be played live too often mostly becuse of tuning problems. The strap buttons are iffy because at one point for me the actual button came off and the guitar went crashing to the ground. But the finish is amasing, because after all the abbuse I've given it there isn't a single scratch on it, litterally. // 6

Overall Impression: I play alot of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana and though it plays the Chilis very well, it doesn't handle distorsion that great. I've been playing for all most 5 years now and also own a SX acoustic and a Hohner clasical and am currently saving for a Fender Jag-Stang witch will probably suit me better. This guitar is about 30 years old and out of production so if it were lost or stolen I would have a pretty hard time replaceing it and I don't think I would even bother trying. But over all it is a fine guitar for my style of playing. // 8

E1000 Reviewed by: soupdragon, on august 20, 2007

Purchased from: Music 47

Features: I was given this guitar last year (2006) as an xmas present from my parents. It's a nice guitar, with metallic red Strat-style body and black scratch plate, maple 21 fret neck, chrome tuners, etc. It's got a lot of controls (volume dial, 2 X tone dials, 5 way selector) and it's fairly easy to get a decent sound out of it. It's got a good whammy bar on it to. I haven't a clue what the make of the pickups is, it doesn't say anyway. It came as a package, with bag, electronic tuner, spare steel strings, pick and pick case, strap, and tools. I have since bought a proper (and bigger) gig bag so I can get the guitar and my equipment in easier. It's a nice guitar for me (been playing 2 years) but I don't see much point in buying one if you're above the level that I'm at. // 7

Sound: I'm using it with a Marshall MG10CD (also part of the package) and on overdrive with full gain you get A LOT of unwanted feedback (not always the good kind). It doesn't have a winde range of sounds at all, it's pretty limited, just acoustic and overdrive although it does sound quite nice. Don't buy this if you want to make a lot of different noises, although as I play mostly rock it does the job. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This is the strongest point of the guitar. Everything is put together nice and solid, no rusted/faulty/loose parts on the guitar at all. The bridge and pickups and tuning pegs are just fine. For what is essentially just a Stratocaster copy, it is extremely well built. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Another strong point. You could gig this guitar without backup and it would not let you down at all (although I wouldn't actually gig it because I would choose a guitar with better sound). Strap locks are tough and the rest of the guitar could probably withstand a fair few drops and smashes. // 7

Overall Impression: It's a good match for my style (rock) but I don't think it could be used for funk or blues or sommat like that. It is a good beginner guitar, however if it were stolen or lost I would buy a better guitar definately (preferably one with a 22nd fret, having only 21s annoying because you have to improvise the equivalent sound but it doesn't work that well). I do love the sound of a solo played on it through my amp, it really is the best sound this guitar will make. If this is a first electric, it's a good one 2start. If it isn't a first, then don't buy it, it will only be worse than your old guitar. Still, it's brilliant quality though. // 6

E1000 Reviewed by: Xx aLi N 123 xX, on august 17, 2009

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Features: This guitar is a classic Strat shape (the reason I bought it) with a maple 21 fret neck with Dot inlays and a black scratchplate. Mine has a sunburst finish which looks quite good. It has 3 knobs, one volume and two tone. There is a five-way pickup selector and 3 unbranded single coil pickups, chrome hardware and non-locking tuners. Mine came with a deal at the shop which came with a discount from a Roland Cube 15X, and a free strap, lead, a few picks and a case. This all came to a grand total of 115. // 7

Sound: I play mostly rock like AC/DC, Led Zep, Black Sabbath and some Metallica, and this guitar isn't very good. It can produce a nice clean sound, but when you turn up the gain, it starts to sound quite bad. It is good for beginners, but after that stage, it isn't very nice to listen to. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this thing is actually really good. When I first played it in the shop I was amazed! I had no idea what electric guitars were like then, I was a beginner, but now I would say this guitar is pretty well set up, everything is in place and works. The only problem I have had with it so far is the jack input falling apart one time, but that easily fixed with my dad's tools. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand live playing, but I wouldn't want to play it because it sounds quite bad. I have had no problems with the hardware so far. The only concern I have with this guitar is that the strap buttons are beginning to wobble around a bit so I will sit down when I play now until I get it fixed, not that I would mind if I dropped it, but still... The finish seems to be pretty good, I have had it for nearly two years now and it is still fine, apart from a large scratch that I got on it once as I was standing up with it and it hit a table and scraped on the corner. // 5

Overall Impression: I really like to play rock and this is not a good guitar for it. It is good for clean stuff though, such as the intro for One or Sweet Home Alabama. I have been playing for about two years now (and I'm still not very good) and I own a Zoom A2 pedal which I use for enhancing the nice clean sound you get from this. If it were stolen or lost I would definitly buy a different guitar maybe an Epiphone- I'm thinking of a G400 or Les Paul Standard. I would probably say my favourite things about this are the action and durability. I wish it had a better sound for distortion. Overall, I'd say it's a good beginners guitar. // 6

E1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2009

Purchased from: Electric X : Canterbury, England

Features: I have no idea when this guitar was made or where, but It is defo a Wesfield Strat type so this is what it must be. It's got 21 Standard-size frets and the fretboard itself is Rosewood. I don't know what the body is made from but it's hard and quite heavy. It's got EMG pickups (which is odd cos all the other Westfield's i've seen don't have them but have pretty crummy ones instead). Another difference to other Wesfields i've seen is that the headstock is a different shape, but I prefer this shape so that's okay. It has a Sunburst finish but it's kinda torn between Tabacco and Cherry, trying to be both at once methinks (mostly Tabacco). It's got your basic bridge but it looks like it's had a tremolo bar in the past (I got it second hand!) cos the bridge can be pushed down to bend the noise (like you would with a bar). The tuning system is okay but they tend to go out a bit sometimes, so I always tune it before and after every time I play it. I got it with a gig bag and a Pevey B158 amp, a cable (now broken), and a strap; for a grand total of 150 // 7

Sound: I use this with a Pevey Blazer 158 amp and it works really well with it, although there's not a massive variation in the sounds you can make it does the job nicely.I play a lot of rocky stuff such as Paramore and Green Day, so it's on full gain a bit, and it suits the style quite well; although sometimes it sounds a little too harsh on the bridge pickup. Other than that, it's a nice sound and I can't fault it on that. It's an instrument, it makes music. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this is amazing. I've played on LP's, SG's and more and I still find it hard to find anything that rivals the action on this. Its finish is great. I got it second hand so it has a scratch or two but I've bumped it about and no damage whatsoever. I can find only two minor flaws in it: the things that hold the strap in place (it came out when i was playing it once; but all you gotta do is put a screwdriver to it and it's fine) and the cable grip (have to tighten that occasionally or the cable doesn't carry the sound). In my opinion it's got nothing wrong with it, the problems it has probs have come with age. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar plays Live really well. I was gigging in a big hall with my band, I bashed it against the cymbal and nothing, no damage. The strap button has failed on me once in the time I've had it, but just needs a screwdriver and problem solved. It looks like it's going to last for a long time. The finish still looks new and I've had it ages (and somebody else had it ages before me probably). I have used this without backup and no trouble. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is really good for beginners, No Doubt about that, but it can still work for people Who are more experienced. It is still the same guitar whether you're sitting at home learning the chords or smashing them out at crowded gigs. If it were stolen it'd be hard to replace. I've looked all over the internet and can't find another guitar like this ANYWHERE. Part of me is frustrated by that, but another is pleased cos it's the only one I've ever seen. I don't compare it to other stuff, maybe I should, but I don't. There's guitars, and then there's my guitar; I don't naturally think about what it has or hasn't got, it's my guitar and I'm proud to be its owner. Good Stuff! Review By: Jacob A. (since they won't let me have credit cos I'm not a member) // 7

E1000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2010

Features: I got a Shine bass ( which was realy good imo) gig bag, a couple of leads a strap, hard case, picks, Zoom multi effect, Silvertone bass amp and a Freshman avalanch guitar amp. As you can tell it was from a kid I know who got a load of new gear and was trying to make space for it all lol. It is a fairly simple guitar with the usual stratish stuff on it, tremolo (I quite like the thicker bar it has), 21 fret maple neck with rosewood board and jumbo frets, bland staggered single coils, and an educated guess would say its solid alder not ply core. The finish was transparent in a butterscotch colour, couple of dings but hey at 30 quid who can moan about that. The tuners were a bit lame as the gear ratio was crappy. // 3

Sound: Its very very bland as sounds go, but beginners guitars usualy are. Put it through my Line 6 spider 2 half stack and my Boss gt6 pedal board. I wasn't expecting much as this was only a beater ( I was realy only after the Freshman 15 watt amp for practicing on as the big rig is loud) the first thing I had to do to stop the drone was shield it, which I used aluminium foil. I couldnt say it has any unique sounds and you lose alot of sound if you finger pick it. Don't expect much sustain either, import Strat style guitars rarely do you can fix it with a steel sustain b.lck with the ball ends nearer the bottom. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Ok the finish was alot thinner than normal poly, which is good. The neck joint was clean and the action was good, it never had been set up which was not to hard to do as there was no shimming needed in the neck joint. The nut was terrible and bound up alot. I change mine out for a graphite composite nut and changed the string trees out for roller ones at the same time. The tuning stability despite the nut was ok but I woldnt risk gigging it unless the tuners were swapped out for something better (steinberger gearless I had in mind) the pickups were too high which caused wierd double notes, again easily fixed. The switching was pretty sturdy, although the cheap pots let it down. I can't comment on the strap buttons as I change all mine to Schaller locking buttons out of habbit. The only other issue was that I play with the backplate off and the bridge ground was like a mile long. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It does seem like it will last a long time but it would need alot of money thrown at it to make it giggable. It had one accident when my cat knocked it off its stand and it survived without a ding (although tuning was well out) it feels pretty solid realy. // 8

Overall Impression: I play alot of different styles from jazz to black metal, and I have still to find a neiche for this guitar. I have been playing for around 12 years and have amassed a few guitars my favourites are my 2 SG standards. I feel that this guitar is under valued in my collection to be honest and would be great for a begginer, I moved onto better gear a long time ago. I couldn't say I'd cry if it hit the kerb. I love the neck on it as the it is easy to play. I couldnt say I hate it as it isnt the worst guitar I have ever played but the pickups are well too bland. I think this will be set up for slide in the end, unless it miraculously grown a set of rails with a coil split. // 5

More Westfield reviews rating category latest review
+ B1000 6.3 Bass Guitars 07/30/2013