E4000 Review

manufacturer: Westfield date: 03/14/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Westfield: E4000
It's an average Les Paul knock-off. Ebony neck with 22 frets. Fretboard was rosewood by the looks of things.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.6
 7.2
 7.3
reviews (5) pictures (5) 10 comments vote for this gear:
E4000 Reviewed by: jajp001, on september 05, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This was a Christmas present brought last year, I wasn't too pleased about the support because I don't know when it was made or where it was made. It's your average Les Paul knock-off. Ebony neck with 22 frets. Fretboard was rosewood by the looks of things. The one I got was black with cream bindings and a cream pickguard. I've taken the pickguard off now though. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and I've never had any troubles with it. It has two PAF pickups, one for lead and one for rhythm. Then there's the gold tone knobs and the 3-way pickup selector. I also got a gig bag which isn't too good but it does the job. // 9

Sound: It suits my style very well, my style of music being metal, blues and a bit of punk rock. It has a good metal sound on the treble pickup for screaming. It has a nice bluesy full sound when using both the pickups. I'm using it through a Zoom GFX-707 multi effects pedal and a Fender Frontman amp. Through the pedal, it's not noisy at all, but with distortion on full and treble on full going straight to the amp, no effects, it's even better for metal and it really screams. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came very well set up with very low action, which would buzz at some frets so I had to raise it very slightly. The bridge was fine, as I mentioned earlier. The guitar had practically no flaws apart from a grimey nut, which, after time, was polished away. The wood's great, I'm not sure what the body's made out of. The neck's ebony.The control's fine, but what I was really pleased with was the finish. I've only got three chips, one large one near the jack socket which I got from banging the guitar really hard against the wall. Another happened when it fell on a hammer, which is barely noticeable and another chip's just a small ding in the headstock. The finish survived my mum when she got mad and beat it up, it didn't even get scratched. I give this a ten. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm one hundred percent certain that this guitar will withstand live playing, but it doesn't have the wow factor that I want, so I'm not using it until I get it a paint job. I've used it at band loads before and it's survived. The hardware seems like it's gonna last a few years, the tuning keys look very solid. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, as noted earlier, it really suits my musical tastes, I might get a new rythm pickup before I blow it up. I've been playing for about a year and a half now. My mum brought it for me because she thought it looked like a real "black man's guitar." If this were stolen, I'd hunt the person Who stole it down and kill him with my bare hands. Then I'd buy the exact same guitar again, or maybe the E4500. What I really love about it is the finish and the neck. I wish it had a better rhythm pickup, but for a guitarist on a low budget Who wants a Les Paul, buy this! // 10

E4000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 14, 2012

Purchased from: Intersales Music

Features: 22 fret rosewood neck, ebony finish, two passive humbuckers, three way selector switch. Possibly mahogany Les Paul style body. Unsure of exact specs of pickups but was planning on swapping these out anyway. Stand, case and strap were included for free, although it was the world's shortest strap and I like my guitars low slung. // 10

Sound: We play industrial metal of a Nine Inch Nails ilk. I use so much distortion that the tone quality doesn't matter that much. However as I was wanting this to be a backup for my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in order for them to match I was going to change the pickups in both guitars to something more high gain like Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio Super Distortion and therefore make them identical in the electronics dept. I was however pleasantly surprised by the stock pickups in this guitar which sound exactly the same as those in the Epiphone LP Custom and therefore are pretty well matched as they are. I may still swap them out for something more high gain but for now it's not a priority. After playing it for some time I'm starting to think I'll use this as my main guitar and the Epi as the backup. That's how good it is. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was fine but higher than I like so had to lower it ever so slightly. I spent about 5-10 minutes setting up the action and intonation and it's now perfect, managed to get the action reasonably low without any fret buzz. I hadn't expected it to be perfect out of the box but it wasn't far off. Tuning pegs are fantastic and hold tuning perfectly. I can't fault the build at all, people complain these guitars are too heavy. I don't know what they're talking about as it's no heavier than any Epiphone or Gibson Les Paul I've played in the past and I'll happily gig with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Sturdy as any other Les Paul I've played, finish is fantastic and will last as well as any other Gibson or Les Paul. Certainly considering making this my main stage guitar. I always take a backup but sure I would only need it for a snapping string, the guitar itself is solidly built and I have no fear of it letting me down. Again, I cannot fault the build. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I'm more than satisfied with this guitar, I've already said it twice but I think I'll be using this as my main live guitar. I used to have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and this guitar is as good if not better. I cannot believe these guitars sell for so low a price, especially the price I got it for. It has the classic look Gibson Les Paul and from a distance you can be forgiven for thinking it might actual be a gibson. Even up close only the name on the headstock gives away the difference. I've used an Epiphone Les Paul Custom for my main stage guitar for the past year or so now and I think this will be much better. I'm now planning on getting another one as we alternate between Drop D and Standard and I switch guitars to one already tuned rather than re tuning on stage. So I think my setup will be two of these as my main guitars in the two different tunings and my Epiphone as back up. Ignore the people who say it's too heavy, they're clearly used to super light Ibanez's or something like that. The pickups stand up the amounts of distortion I use although will probably change them for something more high gain. // 10

E4000 Reviewed by: dopamine, on september 27, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: Bought just the guitar not sure where it's made. 22 fret and the neck is TERRIBLE! It does look nice the whine red with a creamy white scratchboard looks is the main plus side of it. Though there are many finger prints on it. Tune o matic bridge I think i'm quite sure it is. 2 humbucker pickups, one on the neck and the bridge both of which are weak! // 2

Sound: I love playing anything heavy, these pickups are terrible for how I want it to sound, the palm mutes sound so blunt even with a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, Boss Metal Zone, just crap! Though if this was your first guitar I suppose it would be ok. And it buzzes now and then. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: It feels ok to palm mute but the pickups are crap so the sound is terrible. When I first bought this had a nice finish to it though the back of the neck the paint job was terrible. The bridge is ok seems to fitted ok, dodgey machine heads, and comes out of tune so easily, need tunning everyday. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I have not gigged with this guitar and probably never will. I've had it for 2 years and it hasloads of finger prints and a small dent which I don't know how that happened. I ahve had loads of problems with this, machine heads are really loose, input jack unscrews itself and if sometimes if the lead is pushed in to far it doesnt't work. // 2

Overall Impression: Do not buy this unless you are new to playing guitar or desperate for a low ass budget guitar which is why I bought it but I have a job now and can upgrade to a much better guitar. If it were stolen I couldnt really careless, if I were the person who stole it, I'd just recycle it. // 2

E4000 Reviewed by: hippytom, on december 23, 2007

Purchased from: Cash Converters

Features: Let's face it, it's your average Les Paul Copy. What with buying this guitar froma shop that focus mainly on selling cheap electrical goods, I have no idea when it was made. It has 22 frets that get ludicrously thin as the neck progresses. It has a Tune-o-matic bridge that seems to have held up better than the rest of this guitar. Carved maple top, maple neck, with a rosewood fingerboard. Electronics were and still are passive. I wouldn't waste my money on active electronics for this guitar. It has your average Les Paul style 3-way selector at the top end of the guitar, which always seems to get in the way. Two humbucking pickups, that look poorly made. The guitar came with no accesories. // 7

Sound: I primarily play blues, and this guitar, when I first bought it, was good enough for me. However, as I progressed, it didn't seem to match up to the guitars my friends were buying. It sounds great when played through my Marshall MG10CD, but when played through my Marshall MG100HDFX, it just can't hack it. he sound quality suffers because of the poor build quality. Through a small amp, this guitar can belt out it's fair share of volume, but through a bigger amp, sound quality really suffers. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guy Who owned this guitar before me seemed to have set the guitar up well. It could be said that the action was a little high, but this is understood as soon as you try and play with a lower action. This guitar is not made for people Who know what they're doing. It's a beginner's guitar at best. But if that's what you want, it's perfect for you. This guitar has taken a beating, but it seems very susceptable to cosmetic damage. It fell off the stand, and lost quite a large chip near the jack socket. Headstock is stratched up from years of bumps and dings. Bits and pieces of the body seem to be holding on for dear life. The neck, however, has hung on well, as usually with Les Paul style guitars, if they fall or are dropped, the headstock will crack as quick as anything. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar Live many times, and although it hasn't died on me yet, it doesn't produce the sound most people would like for their Live playing. Th hardware seems to be holding on. There's plenty of wear around the 19th fret, which isnt too good. I have used this guitar with only a five stringed guitar as a backup, I was that confident of it's ability to survive. Now, however, it seems to be getting over the hill. // 8

Overall Impression: Let's face it, most people buy Les Paul copies because of the rock legends who play Les Pauls. Les Paul himself, Slash, Page. If you want a guitar that will make you look good, this will do it for you if you take care of it. It can belt out blues well enough through a small amp, but suffers when given the power of a larger amplifier. I've been playing for around 3/4 years, and have had this guitar for most of them. It's played very well on occasion, but it really has suffered with age. Compared to my Ibanez AX120, this guitar is just plain shoddy. If it were stolen before I had bought the Ibanez, I would have probably checked the market for a better quality guitar, and I bought my Ibanez for 89. I wish the build quality was better. // 8

E4000 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2009

Purchased from: eBay Seller

Features: The guitar came with a simple gig bag. I have no idea what woods the guitar is built from, but they do their jobs. The body is made of a dense, heavy wood that has yet to dent or scuff despite several drops. Includes your Standard two humbuckers, three way pickup selector, two tone dials and two volume dials as per Standard Les Paul spec. Treble pickup is fantastic but rhythm pickup is a major disappointment. // 7

Sound: Let me make this clear; this guitar cannot do heavy metal. Don't expect to be playing Slipknot on this thing because it just doesn't match it. The rhythm pickup is inadequate and so the pickup selector has not moved out of the "treble" position. This is fine though as for classic rock, hard rock, country and clean the treble pickup does a very good job. As I am something of an amateur, I don't have any expensive equipment to connect the guitar to; just a Standard Pocket POD (Welcome to the Jungle sounds brilliant) and a decent set of surround speakers. The output sound is very good for the price; smooth, clean and rich. Sounds better than some far more expensive guitars I've played but seems limited in what it can do. Certainly screams like a little girl if you try. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfectly set up. Hardly any air space between the strings and the neck. The finish is beautiful. Truly wine red; a vibrant red with dark grain showing in the light and a Deep Purple in the dark. There are a couple of points of note; a strange gap between part of the neck and the body that looks as though the neck has been raised to correct the action when it was not designed to be. This doesn't seem to matter. The electronics and mechanics are solidly in place and don't budge. Frets feel nice unlike other guitars in this price bracket which can have small metal mountains making slides difficult and trills nasty. // 9

Reliability & Durability: For the most part, I would say this guitar is well built. There are a couple of rough spots on the guitar where a little more care when manufacturing wouldn't have Hurt but it has a solid feel. I'd advise that you tighten the nut that holds the jack in place as mine was loose and I've heard of some being pushed inside. An inspection revealed the soldering to be very good, although one of the screws that held on the cover didn't screw into anything. This is pretty irrelevant though as it left three screws to hold a cover on for which one would do. On another note, the pick guard is supported by a metal bracket. One has to wonder why when surely it would be cheaper, easier and better looking to mould a column into the underside of the pick guard. No locks on tuners or nut, but the tuning holds well enough. // 7

Overall Impression: My style is very weird. I was taught to play acoustic a year back by an ex-bassist and so I only use my fingers and make heavy use of effects. This is my first electric. There are two things I would change about it. The rhythm pickup is the first because it is just terrible. The second is that I would add a whammy bar. I realise it's not part of Les Paul design and I know from my brother's E1000 that Westfield aren't too good with them but I would like one nontheless. If someone were to steal my guitar, I'd have to sit around because the law gives thieves more rights than victims nowadays although I'd want to bash the scumbag's head in and buy another. I think it's important to note that this is a beginner's guitar and should not be taken too seriously. Guitarophiles and audiophiles will not be impressed and will probably turn their noses up and the occasional rough spot and the price tag. I'll just keep shredding. // 8

More Westfield reviews rating category latest review
+ B1000 6.3 Bass Guitars 07/30/2013