E4500 Review

manufacturer: Westfield date: 03/14/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Westfield: E4500
Solid body electric guitar with single cutaway and 2 humbucking pickups. This guitar also features triple ply binding on on body and neck, rosewood finger board, fixed neck, block inlays and die cast machine heads.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.4
 6.9
 6.6
 7.1
reviews (8) pictures (6) 26 comments vote for this gear:
E4500 Reviewed by: jordan_2121, on november 25, 2008

Purchased from: Denmark Street, London

Features: Made in 2008. 22 fret rosewood fretboard with maple neck. Mahogany body. Les paul style. 2 volume and 2 tone controls and 3-way selector. I got in wine red and the finish looks amazing. Tune-o-matic bridge which is a Standard bridge that lasts. I got it straight off the shelf and I got it with a padded gig bag (which you'll need for trips outside of a house or studio). // 8

Sound: This is one of the best sounding les pauls that I have ever played. It is the cheapest les paul that I have played that can scream. Normally you have to buy at least an Epiphone Les Paul Custom to get that kind of tone. I have played it through a $600 Fender amp and also my own 100 pound Fender fm15. When I bought this guitar I also saw an Epiphone SG custom and I bought this over it (better value and sound for money). I don't know why everyone complains about the sound when people give higher scores on the cheaper and worse Westfield E4000. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine is professionally set-up and has a very low action, a great finish and I am happy with everything. The only thing is that it is very heavy and if you stand up while playing it, you will get a very sore back (as I have discovered). But, heavier guitars normally mean better quality and it is not as heavy as most gibsons. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I havn't played Live so I wouldn't know about that but it is a very well made and reliable guitar. It has never let me down. If I was playing Live I would struggle with the weight. But, Gibsons are heavier than this and most pros use Gibsons. Slash, the Edge, Zakk Wylde... // 7

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music and this guitar can play them all. I've been playing for 2 years and I own a benson SG (really bad) and an acoustic guitar. This is by far my favourite and I favour this over my friends Epiphone SG custom and another friends Vintage V100 because of the superior tone and ease of playing. My friend admits that my guitar is much better than his V100 although the V100 gets a higher score in reviews! // 9

E4500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Workshop

Features: This guitar was my first guitar, its a standard Les Paul Copy with a fixed neck and all standard Les Paul tone and volume controls. It could possibly be the heaviest thing I've ever playe. It came with a free bag and small 10w Cruiser amp which again isnt up to scratch. // 3

Sound: I play a lot of punk/rock so it suits the classic power chord and small solo method but to play anything quick is almost impossible. Over time I found the after the 12th fret the neck is completely lacking of all tone. I have to say although this is true it does have a very bassy low tone which accompanys other guitars well but doesnt have any status to get you noticed. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up on the guitar wasnt really as bad as some even cheaper Les Paul copies but still I had to lower the action but that just gave me a real hissing problem from the pickups. The strap nut has come off almost evrytime I've tried to play standing up with it. The guitar loves to enjoy ripping my fingers to shreds I must say. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Although its not overall a very impressive guitar it has lasted n the hardware hasn't really had any problems atall, the connection bay for the lead has fell out twice but I quickly replaced it and is now fine. Also I dropped it once at a live gig as the strap just snapped but it withstood the impact fine. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall I'd say the guitar isnt brilliant and if you're thinking about getting once don't! Spend that little bit extra and go for an Epiphone. I now own a Fender '1960s Fat Strat which is the most awesome guitar I've ever played. // 3

E4500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2009

Purchased from: Curly music

Features: 12 frets, laminated top. I don't know what wood it is made from but apparently mahogony? Rosewood fretboard and a flamed top finish in a glossy jet black. Les paul style body, 2 volume control, 2 tone controls and a 3 way pickup selector. 2 humbucker pickups which as far as I know are westfields own. Tune-o-matic bridge. All hardware in gold. No free accesories of booklet. // 8

Sound: It has a great sound, not as beefy as a Gibson, but still sounds amazing. I use a Marshall MG10CD, which it sounds perfect through. It has a great variety of sounds, good for blues, perfect for rock and as far as I can tell, good for metal too. I play mostly rock and it is easy to find settings on an amp to suit your style with this guitar. The pickups are not amazing but they still make the guitar sound amazing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up fine, maybe a little too low on the low e string but that is easily fixed. Everything else was perfect, nothing was loose and despite what everyone else says, the tuners were pretty firm. The hardware looks great in it's gold colour and the finish is perfect. Everyone I know Who has seen the guitar has called it beautiful and the like. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely be fine as a backup guitar if not a main guitar. The hardware has stayed as shiny and well made as it did when I took it out of the box. The guitar is definitely able to withstand Live playing, but it might get a little heavy after a while (still a lot lighter than a gibson/epiphone). The strap buttons are really tight and can easily withstand the guitars weight. // 9

Overall Impression: It is a perfect match for any budding rock guitarists and despite the little known brand name, it is just as good as any expensive guitar. Epiphones are nowhere near as good, the finish is terrible and they're unreliable, people buy them because of the name. I chose this over an Epiphone because it was a better guitar which had more value for money. I love everything about this guitar, except the fact that people don't know the brand. I wish the brand had more recognition as their guitars are perfect in almost every way. If it were stolen, I would kill the theiving idiot and rightly claim my guitar, but I would still buy another one, just for the sake of having two. My favourite thing about the guitar is it's perfect finish. I hate the way this guitar has been wrongly made out to be a terrible guitar when it's not. For gods sake. people have rated the E4000 higher, which is the worse version of this guitar higher! (The E4000 is the equivalent of a Les Paul Standard to the E4500 which is the custom version.) // 10

E4500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2011

Features: This guitar has 22 frets with a quite thick neck. It has a carved maple top, in tobacco sunburst. It has a standard Les Paul style bridge and tail piece, with 2 gold humbucker pick-ups. It is a very heavy guitar, it is also very thick, it hurts your back and shoulder if you play standing up and if you play sitting down it hurts your legs. Not a bad guitar but weight is an issue. // 6

Sound: I play a large mix of music, from heavy metal to blues type stuff and it copes very well with it all, I play on 15 watt practice amp and it still manges to give off an amazing sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is very high which makes it tricky to play faster stuff and play bends, it can be frustrating so I suggest you either lower the action yourself or ask the people at the shop to do it. Everything else on the guitar is fine except the input jack comes loose very easily, usually have to screw it back in every hour or so but it can easily done by hand. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I played this guitar live a few times and it's up to the job as long as you can stand the weight which is hard to do. The hardware would easily last a live gig, I only once had a problem with the strap where it came off but that was because it was an old strap, the guitar hit the floor and no damage was done so it's a very reliable guitar. I wouldn't use this guitar live without a back-up mainly because of the weight issue. // 8

Overall Impression: For the price it is an amazing guitar, very versatile and gives of a good sound. Even through a cheap amp it gives off a really good sound. If I lost it or it was stolen I wouldn't buy another one I'd upgrade to something like an Epiphone lp100 or Les Paul studio. It stays in tune very well and I've never had it go out of tune in the year that I've owned it, great guitar with a few minor issues but they aren't big enough to effect playing. // 8

E4500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2006

Purchased from: Sam's Guitars

Features: Guitar has 2 pickups with humbucker covers, but I doubt wether they really are. It is made from the heaviest wood you can carve (probably the cheapest). Came with a free bag but shop assistants were vague on details about the instument. Will not stay in tune for more than a few minutes of playing. // 2

Sound: Sound is always too bassy, very soft sound: not ideal for metal. Using with Laney Hardcore MXD30 and sounds terrible (fine with other guitars. Neck pickup hisses like mad. Overall it is quite depressing. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar feels like it was put together by a man with no thumbs. Action is much too high, but still get buzzing from 5th fret upwards. 13th fret is much higher than the rest, resulting in a kink in the D+G strings. Bridge quickly cuts through the bases of high e, b and g strings. The guitar eats the strings. Nut is not cut deeply enough so when you bend strings they pop out of the nut. Pickup selector makes a crunching noise every time you touch it. The guitar likes cutting my fingers to shreds. It is much too heavy. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is terrible. The knobs are loose, and the metal bits on some have ended up inside the body of the guitar. After a few weeks the neck pickup no longer works. Strap buttons are a lot more solid than my shoulder, would reccomend that you play it sitting down. The finish seems solid and has withstanded many strap snappings without major damage to the paintjob. // 2

Overall Impression: This guitar would be more at home with a jazz/blues player with shoulders like a bull. I've been playing 2 years, I have a new Ibanez GSZ120 which is about 2000 times better than this. I wished I had asked the man in the shop why he was so eager to offload these guitars (they were in the sale) before buying it. If it was stolen, I would be happy to see the back of it, though only a doped-up chump would bother to steal it. The only thing it has got going for it is the looks. It is a terrible guitar, I would recomend anyone wanting a cheap guitar buys an Ibanez. // 2

E4500 Reviewed by: kbabz22, on october 27, 2010

Purchased from: Some shop in London

Features: Don't know where it was made or any of the wood's the shop was very vague on details about it. 4 knobs (2 Tone and 2 Volume). The shop gave it to me with a free gift bag. // 7

Sound: I play a bit of anything and most the time this guitar is too flat and bassy, but the simple solution of turning down the Bass EQ on the amp always helps. I can always find the right tone I want but it may take a while of messing wit the EQ which is annoying. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up when I bought it. The neck seem's sturdy enough, after a few months. The finish on the body as suffered no damage even after being dropped a couple of times. The jack input on the bottom of the guitar does come loose after taking out the lead a few times but can easily be fixed. // 7

Reliability & Durability: So far I have had no problems with this guitar. The straps buttons work perfectly for me the strap has yet to come off while playing. I would bring a backup if I was playing live as it is heavy and could cause damage to your back (as I have playing at home) // 4

Overall Impression: Overall I think this guitar works well for practising at home but not something I would use in the studio or live as the tone is too flat and bassy and it is a heavy guitar. It is well built and I have had no serious problems playing with it. // 8

E4500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Made in 2011 the Guitar is, I've heard, crafted (as they say these days) in Korea, but I'm not completely sure. The wood is a "dense" wood, very much like Mahogany but may be Basswood. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard in a "Les Paul" style. It's also a glossy top, finished in 'Wine Red' with gold hardware (tuning posts etc) and Abalone fretboard inlays. It comes with Twin Humbuckers and they have a volume and tone knob each and your able to select which, or both pickups with a 3-way selector switch between Treble and Rhythm. A gig bag, strap and cable was included in the purchase. // 8

Sound: This is my first guitar I've owned so haven't yet settled on a music style, I'm not a hard rock or country fan, I favour more softer rock, jazz and Pop-Rock. I've played it through a Line 6 30 watt amp with no effects; and I love the sound, its a deep, rich tone, unlike the various starter guitars I've played with no depth at all. I've compared it against various guitars such as the Squier Standard Telecaster, Ibanez ART 120 and Vintage VS6 and it has a really good sound compared to them, the VS6 is similar but I chose the Westfield due to there being not a lot of difference between pickups on the VS6. It's not the loudest guitar, but I like that, its more for chord playing than picking, I expect. But who am I to say. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar was set up well, the action is relatively low. The pickups seemed well set, It came with the right colour, and was advertised correctly. The finish of colour and parts are gorgeous. Not much more to say really. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Guitar looks to be very solidly built, very heavy as well. I haven't found a weak point in the harware, the volume knobs seem a little "underweight" but should be fine. The 3 way selector switch is a little clicky but again, looks fine. I'm not going to be doing any gigging (obviously) but I shouldn't need to buy another (yet!). The finish is brilliant, it was one of the reasons I chose the guitar in the first place. Whether it stays like that remains to be seen. // 7

Overall Impression: Considering I only just started playing I couldn't ask for more. I'd like some first hand experience on the guitar but being an unknown brand, I doubt I could have got that. I'd think the person who'd steal it have made a good choice but I'd still be extremely annoyed, its an excellent guitar but being me, I'd HAVE to buy something different. I love the finish and colour, its amazing, as well as the richness and depth of the sound. The gold hardware finished the look off to a tee. I don't hate a thing, I don't even dislike anything, yet. My only concern was that I haven't tried it against an Epiphone Les Paul, but from what I've seen, the Westfield has to be better. // 9

E4500 Reviewed by: seanjtysoe, on march 14, 2013

Purchased from: music market

Features: Les Paul style with mahogany body with flamed maple top. Rosewood fretboard with 22 frets. Decent for rhythm work but certainly not a thin neck for shredding. Passive stock pickups which are not bad but you might want to upgrade them as the output is quite low. Die cast tuners which are ok but again could be upgraded which would greatly improve the guitar. The best feature of the guitar is the body itself as it is very good quality mahogany whilst everything else is stock. Each pickup has its own volume and tone control which makes the guitar quite versatile. // 6

Sound: I play mainly hard rock and metal. This guitar does the job and would be perfect for a beginner but since I now own two high end Jacksons I'm going to upgrade the pickups etc. Just to improve the quality. The pickups have great sustain and sound very different which gives a variety of tones to the instrument. The only problem with sound really is that the pickup output is quite low and leaves you wanting a bit more when playing things like Metallica. I reckon the pickups were put in the wrong way round because I use the neck pickup for riffing and the bridge pickup for stuff I'd normally use the neck pickup for as that's how they sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was not set up but is fine as it is. Despite being a low end guitar it is very well made with no inconstancies in the wood or finish. Ive had this guitar 5 or 6 years now, the pickup covers and the bridge have rusted or oxidised a bit but it gives the guitar a more Vintage look. Tuning pegs are knocked out of tune very easily which is why I'm upgrading them to locking tuners. the pickup toggle is noisy and a but annoying but not a major problem. The wood is excellent quality and very heavy. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I havent played live but ive played this guitar non stop for up to three hours before and its fine. Its quite heavy though and may not be comfortable standing up. I probably wouldnt use this guitar live at all because I'm a shred person now and this guitar is certainly not designed for that and doesent have a fast neck but for rythem work or guns n roses stuff it would be good. The finish has lasted me 5 years of playing nearly every day and doesent dent easily so I think its very good. The strap buttons have never come loose but they are jsut cheap diecast ones. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a decent guitar for a beginner or experienced player but upgrading some of the features would make it so much better. This was my first real decent guitar and helped me get to where I am now. I still use it nearly everyday even though I have two Jacksons. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again because I can afford better guitars now but its certainly a decent guitar. My favourite feature as I mentioned before is the body itself which is a great basis for adding quality hardware which can ake a very nice guitar. // 8

More Westfield reviews rating category latest review
+ B1000 6.3 Bass Guitars 07/30/2013