XL-10 Review

manufacturer: Westone date: 11/20/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Westone: XL-10
The Westone XL-10 is a copy of the Les Paul Standard from the sixties. Westone is a German company and so these guitars are made with the Precision of German electronics. It has 22 frets and a Tune-O-Matic bridge.
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
XL-10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2008

Price paid: € 154

Purchased from: Cemid Kft

Features: The Westone XL-10 is a copy of the Les Paul Standard from the sixties. Westone is a German company and so these guitars are made with the Precision of German electronics. It has 22 frets and a Tune-O-Matic bridge (so there is no tremolo, I do not think it was a surprise). The neck is made of palisander while the body is made of basswood (with a maple cover which perfectly fits the material of the body). As a Les Paul, it has 2-2 potmeters for each humbucker pickups (Wilkinson). Kluson-type tuners are steady as hell and somehow always know the right tune (really it can be felt when it is okay even if you do not hear). I got a hex key and a cable (2 meters). // 9

Sound: The sound is not as clean and fine as an original Les Paul but it is very close to it. The two humbuckers strain off the undesired noises and gives the typical Les Paul sound. Because of it's mass (a bit lighter than a Gibson) notes do get faint very slow. I would say it's sound is similar to Cort M600 (a much more expensive guitar... ). I compared it to 2 Squiers and an Ibanez RG170DX and both were worse in my opinion. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar I bought had one slight mistake in the painting but that saved me 27 euros! Apart from that it is a very well-constructed instrument and will make me happy for a couple of years. Not to mention that the neck is thinner that the original and so it is much more comfortable. The body is quite heavy (not for a Les Paul) and the pickup-Switch could have been put somewhere else (maybe it would not lose it's marvelous look that way). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since my guitar is new I cannot say for sure it is reliable but I've searched on the Internet before I bought it and everywhere I found that these guitars are extremely durable. But even now I can tell you the attachments are perfect and it is widely-known that Wilkinson is a reliable manufacturer. // 10

Overall Impression: I am sorry if I could not give a more detailed review but I wanted to submit this instrument on the site so if anybody has something to add, he or she can do it now. The original price is 225 euros but I bought it for 181 euros (154 with the mistake in the painting). You have to know that this guitar is worth about 250-300 euros so if you have the chance to buy I would definitely recommend it. It deserves a hardshell case although it is not going to be that cheap! // 8

More Westone reviews rating category latest review
+ Spectrum FX 9.8 Electric Guitars 04/16/2010