XV-500 Review

manufacturer: Xaviere date: 12/20/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Xaviere: XV-500
The Xaviere XV-500 features a solid three piece mahogany back, solid mahogany neck, bound rosewood fingerboard, bound flamed maple top and criticaly acclaimed GFS Crunchy Pat pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.3
 Features: 8.3
 7.7
 8.2
 7.1
reviews (4) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
XV-500 Reviewed by: GasGuzzler, on may 07, 2008

Features: Les Paul style guitar, made in '07 or '08, I believe. Rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body, and flamed maple top. Single cutaway, tune-o-matic bridge, stopbar tailpiece. 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, pickup selector Switch, basically the same thing as a Gibson, only the cutaway is very sharp, and the inlays on the fretboard are not mother of pearl. Mine's the "Amburst Sunrise" color, which is very beautiful, very Orange. Bought it as a blem model, but I can only see one tiny scratch on the back of the guitar. Definately worth the price. // 8

Sound: The guitar sounds really good. The pickups are the GFS PAF copies, which really do sound like the original PAFs from Gibson. The bridge pickup is nice and open sounding, bright and crunchy for some good classic rock, like a typical LP. Both pickups together give you a good level tone that is much mellower than the individual pickups alone. The neck pickup, however, is where this guitar REALLY shines. You can get some great bluesy tones playing clean, or with distortion, you can play hard rock or metal, that sounds amazing. The sound is a very nice deep tone that one would expect from a neck pickup on a Les Paul. For lead playing, I use the neck as I find the pickup much hotter and powerful than the bridge. The sustain on this guitar is incredible too, just like a real Gibson. The humbuckers don't buzz at all, and the pickups are very hot. You just have to barely touch the strings to get a sound out of the guitar. Right now, I'm using a Roland Micro Cube amp, which although can get you some great tones, does steal a bit of the guitar's natural tone, as it is a digital modeling amp. Still, however, you can still hear how good the guitar sounds. With cheap guitars, it's the amp that makes all the tone, but with a good guitar like this one, the guitar's tone stands out. I've tried it through a Peavey tube amp and the sound was like nothing else. Great bluesy tones on the neck, and good bright rock on the bridge. I'm a big Lynyrd Skynryd fan and this thing does the job well (neck pickup), especially in capturing Gary Rossington's signature sound that I love so much. I ordered a new bridge pickup from GFS only because I wanted something different; what's in there now is great and is a perfect PAF recreation, but I wanted to try something else. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Was decently set up out of the box, but I plan on getting it professionally done soon enough, as there is a tiny bit of fret buzz on the D string low down. In terms of finish, she looked great, and still does. I've changed the pickup rings to cream, but that is it. The tuners aren't anything special, so I have ordered new ones. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played Live with this guitar and it can definitely handle it. Everything seems solid, and I will probably be playing this thing for the rest of my life, as it's a great Les Paul style guitar. Very dependable, beautiful finish, everything seems perfect, and will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, blues, and country, and this thing suits the part mostly for the rock and blues. I've been playing for a few years and have 5 or 6 other guitars, but this is my main player, and probably always will be. I'd definitely buy another one if this one was lost, Xaviere's are great, and guitarfetish has a bunch of amazing products at great prices. Before buying, I tried a bunch of Epiphones, but I prefer this to all of them. I love the look, but wish it had the mother of pearl inlays and chrome pickup covers, but I can Live without them. Great deal, great guitar, check them out! // 10

XV-500 Reviewed by: MoroneSaxatilis, on july 20, 2009

Purchased from: GuitarFetish.com

Features: 2008 or 2009, made overseas, Korean, I assume. Set neck, 22 jumbo frets, 1/2 maple over mahogany body. Mine is gloss black. It is an LP copy. This guitar comes with Crunchy PAF pickups, basically Gibson PAF copies. Two volume, two tone, pickup selector. Tuners are non-locking, but seem to keep it in tune. The guitar came with a cable and an allen wrench. Didn't come with the pickup covers like in the photo, which I was bummed a bit about, but the zebra color of the cream and black pickups is growing on me. I'm rating this because it was $ 200. How can you lose? // 9

Sound: I use a Crate V-18 212 amp. It's an 18 Watt all tube amp. I also use a DigiTech Bad Monkey distortion pedal. I have been playing an Epiphone SG. This guitar sounds wayyyy better than the SG. There's no more tinny sound up the neck, no more over-bassy vibrations for the speaker. EXAMPLE: On the beginning of "Mama, I'm Coming Home" the SG simply blends all the notes together. This guitar allows each one to come through, and sounds much better. Make sense>? You can pick out each note cleanly, the pickups do a great job. You can get bright cleans, dirty crunch, and in the middle, that wonderful, churchy tone that resonates and carries so well. I was very surprised at how much better this sounds than my SG. I didn't expect that much of a difference, especially for around $ 200. I play all kinds of music- this covers them well so far. AC/DC to Zeppelin, this guitar is versatile. No br00talz, please. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar set up- well... It was $ 200.00... First of all, the guitar is beautiful. The cream on black gives it a great, cool, Vintage look. However; If you buy one, buy some strings, the ones on it seem a little suspect. Also, on mine, there is a tiny blem on the 3rd fret of the E string- looks like a bit of over sanding of a fret or glue, not sure. Doesn't affect the playability at all, but I could see that this may be an issue if it were elsewhere on the neck. Again, it was $ 200, so my expectations were a bit lower. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand Live playing. The hardware seems ok. The volume and tone knobs seem to be very free moving, which makes me think they have come apart, but they have not. The tone knob of the neck pickup rubs a bit into the curve of the body, but meh. I bought a nice strap for it and it looks and sounds super cool. An improvement for me. // 7

Overall Impression: This LP is HEAVY. I was surprised how heavy it is. It weighs about twice what my SG does. Buy yourself a good strap, because if you drop this weighty beast, bad things will probably happen. If it were stolen, I would buy another- IT's $ 200! How can you lose?! I love it's sustain, it's warm sounds, it's tone. I also love it's beautiful finish and cool Vintage look to it. My favorite feature is the tone of it. Regardless of the looks, it's a HUGE upgrade in sound for me, and will help me out a lot in my playing. Overall, I am quite impressed- for the price, this is a great value! I'm not comparing this to a Gibson Les Paul. I'm rating it on a $ 200.00 purchase. It's great! With some new strings, I'm sure she'll sing, and my next guitar will probably be on of Xaviere's Strat copies, I am that impressed! // 9

XV-500 Reviewed by: Madcarp, on may 20, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Fetish

Features: This is an 08 Factory Blem Tobacco burst finish. 22 fret Rosewood fretboard, set Mahogany neck. Not to thick or thin. Thicker than an RG, more along a Schecter feel. Solid Mahagony Les Paul shape body. 3/4 inch thick carved Flame Maple top. Tune-O-Matic style bridge. 2 volume, 2 tone, 1 - 3 way switch. GFS Zebra crunchy pat pickups. Standard cheap tuners. Came with a cheap cable, truss rod wrench, and shipped to my house in a hard shell case for $260 dollars. // 7

Sound: I have read a lot of reviews about this guitars sound. I must say that this thing sounds amazing. The GFS humbuckers are a little hot...but from clean blues to overdrivin crunch they are fantastic. The neck is creamy and articulate. The bridge can go from purr to scream. Overall the sound is a little dark. I run this through a variety of pedals and amps. For gigging I use a Boss overdrive/distortion OS-2 pedal with a delay and reverb and eq pedal to a Egnator Rebel 20 amp. With this setup I can go from blues to early thrash. For bedroom I run same setup to a Bugera V5. Sounds great also. I have been playing for a number of years now and play many styles from finger picking blues to all out shred this guitar goes there well. Not really a metal shred guitar...but I have my RGA for that. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Okay, lets start with the finish... This being a factory blem it was not to bad. Beautiful tobacco burst finish on flame maple top. All the cream accessories look stunning with the finish color. It really has an aged, classy vibe to it. The blems are small. One small ding down by the controls and 2 small cracks in the finish up by the truss rod cover. Now, onto the action and setup...This is where it gets the low score from. This guitar sat for a while at the factory being a blemished model. Had to do a truss rod adjustment, intonation, and action setup on it. Before that (and this was the most major issue) I had to fix the frets. Lots of high and low frets and dead spots... So I seated the high ones with a little tapping from a mallet and then used a fret file to get them perfect. This took me about 3 hrs or so to do. After all this work it plays real nice now. Now that it is setup properly I would rate this an 8 to 9 on playability. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand gigging. The electronics seem solid and I have had no issues. Strap buttons are okay but I always change them out. Like I said finish is nice and durable except for the minor blems. All in all pretty durable guitar. This would be fine for a backup or your main axe if you are on a budget. // 8

Overall Impression: After everything is said and done I am quite happy how this guitar turned out. $260.00 shipped to my house in a hard shell case I really expected the worst. I am going to change the cheap tuners and bridge. Even though it stays in tune pretty well. For now I'll leave in the GFS pickups...I really like the fact this this guitar has it's own unique tone. Reminds me of a Gibson Les Paul with Dirty Fingers pups (for about 1/8 the price). This is a blue collar working man's guitar. With a little bit of time and some patience These can be made to play and sound exceptional. // 9

XV-500 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2011

Purchased from: guitar fetish

Features: Standard LP configuration. Cherryburst with Flamed Maple Top. // 9

Sound: This is truly where this guitar stands apart in a sea of LP copies. I own a '83 Gibson LP Studio. Does the XV sound like a Gibson LP? Bottom line is no. My XV sounds like an SG/LP of fire! The pick harmonics are tremendous and the sustain seems endless. It has the bottom end close to a Les Paul and that bada-s mid/high bite of an sg. Clean tones are rich and full and the neck pickup is wound a little HOT so there is plenty of attack on hand when needed. The guitar is dead quiet thru my Mesa Triple and a slight hiss thru my old Hiwatt model t. I've been playing for 26yrs and worked for a sound reinforcement company as a tech. My guitar style is all of them as I love all music. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was IMO unplayable out of the box. No set-up at all. I've been setting up guitars for 2 decades - so no big deal. If you ART comfortable doing it yourself don't try. After cutting the junk strings off, I replaced them with a set of Dunlop 10s set the truss rod and action height. Adjusted the pickups and set the intonation. The frets are super nice "beautiful crown job and polish". No issues with the cut of the plastic nut "replace l8tr". This is one hell of a sweet playing guitar. Nice chunky neck/sweet frets. I'm giving it a 1 because of the non-existent set-up. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Built like a brick house. I bought this as a tote around guitar, you know just to carry to jam at pubs. I'm going to order a blem model fo that, because this guitar is so beautiful I'd be sick if it got nicked. Hardware is good/installed strap locks. The construction seems outstanding. // 9

Overall Impression: In the 80s if you bought a cheap Les Paul clone you got plywood with a bolt on neck, today you have something like this-unbelievable. This guitar is lightyears ahead of any plus top Epi that I've set-up and played. The woods are nice. The neck joint is so well done it looks handfitted. This is truly a great guitar for any type music. I am most pleased that someone is putting out a professional grade instrument at an entry level price in todays economy. Don't hesitate to buy one of these guitars.If it were stolen I would freak-out man. I own the '83 Les Paul Studio, 1984 SG, 1978 Strat, 1965 Gibson Hummingbird, 1988 Peavey Nitro/Active, 1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird. // 10

More Xaviere reviews rating category latest review
+ XV-840 7.3 Electric Guitars 12/23/2013