XV-890HH Review

manufacturer: Xaviere date: 03/22/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Xaviere: XV-890HH
The quality of this guitar for the price I paid is AMAZING (especially with the original Floyd Rose Special). I chose this axe because of the sweet looks and the quality hardware. Thing I like best is the overall quality and that there were no flaws on the guitar when I received it.
 Features: 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (4) 9 comments vote for this gear:
XV-890HH Reviewed by: Xphyle, on june 14, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarFetish.com

Features: Made in Indonesia, in 2012. 24 medium-jumbo nickel silver frets. Body is Popular. Top is flamed maple. Neck is SET, solid maple with a rosewood fingerboard. Superstrat style. Bridge is a GENUINE Floyd Rose Special. Passive Pickups. Bridge is a GFS Crunchy Pat, and Neck is also a Crunchy Pat. 1 volume, 1 tone. 3 way switch. GFS tuners with a locking nut. Included SIT strings, a whammy bar, and some allen wrenches. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock/metal. Lots of 80's hair bands. However, I just turned 41 and I wanted something to go along with my other guitars, but look classy instead of looking like a shred machine. For that purpose, this guitar can bring it. I realize that everyone has their own taste in pickup sound, but these factory Crunchy Pat pickups seem fine. I had to back the bass side off a bit as it was overwhelming the treble, but otherwise, no complaints. Pickups can hit harmonics just fine. Not a ton of sustain, but enough. Sound leans toward a bright sound, as this is the nature of poplar wood. Only played on one of my setups, but at full volume and tone, I get a slight hum. Not sure if it was the guitar or the way I had my rig set up at the time. I was using a Line 6 mobile pod with my iPad at the time and had pulled up a user created tone. I was listening through headphones. I will plug into my DigiTech RP350 and do more testing after I post this. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm a HUGE stickler for action, fit and finish. I collect guitars, and if they aren't perfect when I receive them in the mail, I send them back. Thankfully, this guitar came out of the box nearly perfect. Cosmetically, it was perfect. Thankfully, the neck was straight and the frets were level. I've bought other GFS guitars that went back because they needed a fret job out of the box. This one is fine. No scratches, dings, etc. It just needed a setup. I tuned it, set the string action, checked relief, adjusted pickup height, made sure the Floyd was balanced, checked intonation, and that was it. It wasn't ready to play out of the box and needed a setup (all guitars do, so I'm not deducting points for this). Make sure you know how to set up a Floyd or just take it to your local guitar shop. My ONLY complaint, and this is a nitpick, but when the neck was glued in, the strings are *slightly* offset toward the treble side of the neck. Meaning there is less space from the high E to the neck edge (treble side), and more space between the low E to the edge of the neck (bass side). Not a huge deal, but not perfect, so I'm deducting a point here. If it were a bolt-on, I could just loosen the screws and pull the neck to one side to balance the strings, but I can't do that with this set neck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If I gigged, I would not hesitate to gig with this guitar. It's solid. The hardware is quality. The original Floyd stays in tune fine. The finish is nice and seems like it would stand up to time. The strap buttons are anchored well. All around good job in this category. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing on an off for 20 years. As I said, I play metal/rock with an emphasis on hair band stuff. I own 20 guitars: Dean, B.C. Rich, Douglas, Anthem, Shine, Floyd, SX, Gibson, Kramer, etc. The quality of this guitar for the price I paid is AMAZING (especially with the original Floyd Rose Special). I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again. I've been looking at this axe for 6 months, but have seen no reviews, which is why I decided to write this up. I believe GFS partnered with ESP/LTD guitars to manufacture this axe (because of the paperwork that came with the guitar). If stolen, I would buy another one. I chose this axe because of the sweet looks, the quality hardware, and the transparent ocean blue color. Thing I like best is the overall quality and that there were no flaws on the guitar when I received it. Thing I like least is the small string offset toward the treble side. I may swap out the pickups or the pups at some point. That's all. Buy it! // 9

XV-890HH Reviewed by: toneseeker101, on march 22, 2015

Purchased from: Guitar Fetish

Features: 2012 model - Ocean Blue, made in Indonesia. The XV-890HH has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. "Bound" poplar body with a flame veneer top and bound set-in maple neck. The binding on the body is paint I believe, but it has real binding on the neck. A Floyd Rose Special tremolo with GHS "Crunchy Pat" pickups. GHS tuners; one volume; one tone and a 3-way selector switch round it out. It has a Super-Strat look. Seems to be made for metal or shred. A lot of features for little $$. I also got the case for another $60.00. // 8

Sound: It comes with GHS "Crunchy Pats" which are supposed to be PAF-like (which doesn't make sense for a metal/shred guitar) these I give a generous 7 in ratings. I found them bland. I replaced them with a set of GHS RedActives (which I will rate soon). These I must give a 9 because they are AWESOME! Especially for classic & modern metal. They aren't the greatest for clean but neither are EMGs, which these RedActives are similar to in tone. They sort of sound like the white-trash offspring of EMGs & Blackouts! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: For $239.99, I wouldn't believe the set-up could even be decent, but it was spot-on. The paint job was flawless and the flame maple veneer was nicely bookmatched. It has great action as well. When I got it, I could see right away that it was of high quality. The finish belonged on a guitar costing three times as much. The frets were pretty much perfect. It looks like it was made in the same factory that makes ESP or Ibanez guitars. Right out of the box it played quite nicely. It amazes me that so little money buys so much guitar these days. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I stated, the guitar itself is very well made. Nice quality workmanship. The hardware is of a very high-quality chrome. I don't normally like chrome hardware but I don't feel the need to replace it either. I know this isn't the fault of GHS/Xaviere, but the Floyd Rose Special had bad saddles that stripped out after ONE string replacement. GHS couldn't or wouldn't replace the saddles so I replaced the whole bridge with another Floyd Rose Special because I couldn't justify spending as much as the guitar cost, for a real Floyd Rose bridge. The new Floyd works flawlessly. // 9

Overall Impression: I use this guitar as a back-up to my EMG equipped ESP V. I find myself playing it quite a bit, at home mostly. My main guitars are a Jackson U.S. Made KV2 with Duncan Custom & JB pups. A Gibson SG with Burstbuckers. Also a 2006, made in Japan, Jackson DK2M Pro with JB & Jazz pups. I play mostly through a Marshall JVM410H Joe Satriani Edition and a stock, JCM900/1960 4x12, with British-made Celestion G12T-75 speakers. I run a Crybaby out front and a TC Electronics original G-Major through the loop, with this I get every tone I could want. I use a Jet City JCA50H as a back-up. At home, I use the Jet City through a Blackheart 1x12 (this was bought with a Blackheart Little Giant 5, which I will also review in the near future) I replaced the stock Eminence speaker it came with with a Celestion G12K-100 speaker because I've never been a fan of Eminence. This guitar sounds comparable with any of my guitars. It doesn't sound or look cheap. This model is unfortunately out of production, but they do have the XV-890 H/S/S still for sale through Guitarfetish.com. Get one before they're gone. I believe it's on a close-out sale for $199.99! // 9

More Xaviere reviews rating category latest review
+ XV-500 7.9 Electric Guitars 10/13/2014