AES720 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 11/22/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: AES720
For a little more edge, the AES720 offers more aggressive features like direct-mounted pickups, wrap-around tailpieces, black hardware, and unique finishes.
 8.8
 9.2
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
AES720 Reviewed by: kyle_katarn3, on november 22, 2007

Features: Not sure about the year, but I'm assuming the most recent model, Korean made. 22 Fret rosewood fretboard with all mahogany set neck and body. Body style is "Les Paul" esque, though leaner looking and with deeper cuts. It comes stock with 2 DiMarzio buckers, and their solid mounted to the body rather than on rings. TOM bridge with the distinctive AES through-body tailpeice. Controls are 2 volumes and master tone with a 3-way toggle switch. Finish is 2 tone black and grey. // 9

Sound: I run it through a EHX Big Muff, Boss DS-1, Ibanez Weeping Demon, DE-7 and CF-7 to a Traynor YCV40. The initial thing that struck me about the guitar was how phenominally resonant it is. This is the first set neck guitar I've bought, so I'm not sure if it's common to all of them or if this is unique, but I can actually feel the vibrations through the neck when I'm playing (and not in a bad way, it feels very organic). The buckers are very nice, clear, though a little punchy. This guitar was built to be a little more aggressive sounding than the AES620, and it reflects that, it's perfect for anything with lots of distortion, though it is as equally good clean. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was perfect, intonation was dead on and the action was perfect. The bridge bucker was a little high for my taste, but that was easily fixed. There was a tiny cosmetic flaw in the finish, on the neck next to the first fret, but it was barely noticeable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is amazingly solid, and feels incredibly durable. The finish is thick, and everything is mounted solidly. No complaints. I am not one for gigging without backups, but as this is my second serious guitar (I bought a '60s Reissue Strat last year) I already do. // 9

Overall Impression: This is, without a doubt, one of the most underrated guitars on the market today. I think they AES series gets lost in the shuffle of the Les Paul and Les Paul copy debate, and is all to often overlooked. The price point is amazing, and it's an extremely versatile and durable guitar. I play a variety of stuff, from U2 covers to my own ambient/experemental stuff, and I am only beginning to discover the many sounds that I can access with it. I don't hesitate to say that this is a pro-level guitar, and well worth your investment. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ RBX270L 8.6 Bass Guitars 04/09/2014