AES820 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 07/18/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: AES820
The AES820 features a highly contoured, lightweight solid alder body with a fast, black satin-finished 26 1/4" scale maple neck and ebony fingerboards.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.3
 9.3
 7.2
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
AES820 Reviewed by: *Yamaha_Rocker*, on august 09, 2004

Purchased from: PMT

Features: The main thing I first noticed before purchasing the Yamaha AES 820 D6 I noticed the tuning was different instead of having the standard tuning, the tuning on the AES 820 D6 is B E A D F# B this concerned me abit but the great thing is that you can still play all the chords in the same places. Another thing is that the neck length has been extended so that provides an optimum balance between neck length and playability. It has a solid alder body, 26 1/4" scale drop 6 maple neck the fingerboard is rosewood, sperzel locking tuners (which I love)DiMarzio pickups and some of the coolest neo-retro knobs. The controls given on this guitar are 2 volume knobs for the 3-way selector and a tone which really does change the sounds of the guitar. The style of the guitar is quite unique and it comes in four colours but I could'nt say no to the metallic blue. The other strange but great thing is every where I check I see it for 470 or more (first hand) so was it a steal. // 10

Sound: The Yamaha AES 820 D6 suits my music style down to the ground, my music style is rock/punk rock (Green day) but I do also like to play Indie such as The Coral. My amp is a Peavey transtube envoy which is a 40 watt amp which makes this Yamaha rock on more then ever. On full volume this guitar does not lose that much, it has a brilliant rich and full sound that will not let you down. They're is some variety you can maake the guitar sound very acoustic and then you can crank it up to grunge or hard rock. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Nothing was done wrong with this guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very suitable for live playing this is what I'm planning to play live with and it won't let me down. The hardware is also very solid and seems great. Strap buttons are solid and I would completely depend on it, but I would take a backup just incase (anything can happen). The finish really does kick ass and the longevity looks huge. // 8

Overall Impression: I play music like razorlight, chilis, ash, green day, franz, weezer and it matches with any of these types of music, the guitar sound just rules. I have been playing for 7 months but I learn quick I also own a Peavey envoy amp and also a Peavey electric guitar. There is nothing better I could have asked for this guitar is the one for me. I would probably get the same but I like a change hopefully it won't get stolen. I love the sound, size, colour, locking tuners, the only thing I don't like is that it gathers dust sorry could'nt think of anything else. My favourite feature is either the body style or the tuners. Well I compared it to my old Peavey electric guitar and this one without the Peavey giving one punch. I wish it had yellow flames on the paintwork. // 10

AES820 Reviewed by: zippax, on july 18, 2006

Purchased from: Bond Street

Features: With its blend of traditional single-cutaway AES styling and a radically sculpted top, the AES820 is a picture of sleek efficiency and retro-cool. And what you'll hear is huge! Two gain-laden custom DiMarzio humbuckers dishing the hooligan filth, with a flexible rotary tone control system that will also simulate more open-voiced single-coil sounds. If all that isn't low-down and dirty enough, the guitar also comes as the Drop 6 AES820-D6, with a longer 666mm scale length and heavier strings enabling down-pitching to A or B without losing string tension or having to learn new tunings. Truly Grunge-O-Matic! // 10

Sound: I mainly play jazz (Pass) blues (Hendrix) and rock (Muse/Radiohead) The guitar can be modified to sound comfortable in most genres. It's three position tone selector is perfect for reaching the most definable tones every guitarist needs when playing. The extent of which tones is conveniently configurable on the control panel as well. The only thing this guitar has difficulty replicating is the twang of a single coil, which I miss. But is not a feature you expect from a H/H guitar, even a coil tapped one. I use the guitar through a Zoom GFX8 through my PC into my Sony 5.1 Surround sound system. It sounds amazing. This guitar doesn't produce any static noise, mainly due to there being to single coils in sight, but also due to the fnatastic quality of the wiring job under the hood. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up too high for me, but this was no problem correcting thanks to the Tune-O-Matic. The truss rod was adjusted perfectly and the pickups optimal distance from the strings, until of course I changed the action. The saddles were set for perfect tone on all strings and the finish was perfect. Wouldn't expect any less from Yamaha. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar looks great, totally unique. Its hardware is no exception. Each locking tuner is a different size to compensate a different tensile stress of a string. They appear very hard wearing. The custom DiMarzio are fitted securely and adjust without wobbling all over. Looking in the control panel, the wiring is very well soldered and looks like it could go the distance. The only real issue is the potentiometers. The nuts have difficulty gripping the finish. This only requires swift spanner and allan key action though and you're sorted. // 9

Overall Impression: I know how a guitar should play and sound. I chose this guitar because I wanted a guitar with the reliability in build and sound of a classic strat/tele/LP, yet unique and much more versatile. The AES820 looks fantastic, has so many strong sounds and seems like it will last forever. It is perfect for me. It will not be replaced in my collection for a long time, perhaps until I die. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ RBX270L 8.6 Bass Guitars 04/09/2014