EG012 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 02/16/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: EG012
The EG-012 is a superstrat, so the machine heads are 6-in-line as the headstock resembles the Fender headstock. It has 22 frets. The body is made of alder and the neck is maple, and it is considerably heavier than a Fender or Squier.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
reviews (2) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
EG012 Reviewed by: Samgar2, on september 01, 2008

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: The EG-012 is a superstrat, so the machine heads are 6-in-line as the headstock resembles the Fender headstock. It has 22 frets, but for the rest very little information is know about this guitar. The body is made of alder and the neck is maple, and it is considerably heavier than a Fender or Squier. It has a tremolo bridge, similar to the ones featured on Squier Strats. The sound comes from 3 pickups, 2 single coils inthe neck and middle position and 1 humbucker in the bridge position. There's a 5 way switch to select the pickups you want. There's 1 master tone knob and 1 volume knob. A pickguard is featured and the cable input jack is on the bottom right of the body, like on a Les Paul. This guitar is always sold in a complete package, in contrary to it's close brother, the EG-112 which can be bought apart. The package also Features a decent 15-watts amp, the Yamaha GA-15, featuring distorted and clear sound. Than, there's a cable, which is clearly cheap and thin, but never had any problems with it though. There's also plectrums, 2 sets of reserve strings, a crap tuner (get a decent one), and a strap, which is too weak (cheap) for this rather heavy guitar in my opinion. A good thing is that it comes with a shoulder bag. There's also a setup key and a strange black I-don't-know-what-it-is... But for it's price, it's very well equipped. // 9

Sound: In general, the guitar has the rich sound of a solid body guitar, with the bright sound of a doublecut electric. To my opinion, whatever music style you want to play, or whatever pickup you select, you should not bring down the tone know to 0, because it has such a dull sound to it when you do so. Not my taste. An open tone knob gives the guitar definately more action. The neck pickup gives a very soft sound, the middle is a the same and the neck humbucker is one powerful rocker. So in the front pickup position it is very suitable for country and blues with the tone knob open. The middle pickup is a bit similar, but it has like a bit more of an acoustic touch to it of you don't distort it. Ideal for acoustic songs. Than there's the bridge humbucker. This one has a very powerful sound, with just a slight bit of gain you'll blow any other cheap guitar away playing some rock 'n roll. I call it my rock 'n roll pickup :) Also really cool for old school rock. More gain gives you a very heavy sound very suitabe for metal or hardcore. Worth mentioning is the fact that there's absolutely coming no rustle or interruption coming out of the pickups or amp at all. But it's not refined like a Gibson or PRS, but for it's price it's very good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: So the pickups were brought close to the strings, for some fine action and the setup was already done at the factory, as this guitar is aimed at starters. (though it's great for advanced guitarists too). The neck is bolt-on and the pickguard, knobs, pickups, tremolo arm end and swich are made of cheap plastic. The whole thing looks smooth though. The strings on the other hand feel rather unsmooth. The body is shiny black (only color available) and the neck is just (well) planed maple. The nut is made of cheap black plastic, something I really didn't wanna see. one bad thing worth mentioning is the fact that even though my EG-012 is Brand New, the bottom part of the tremolo arm, which is screwed into the bridge, shows a bit of rusty color, which could be rust, but it feels like it could be lubricating oil. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is a practice guitar and is not suitable to be played Live with. The sound isn't refined for that. Therefore I have a Gibson. I think this guitar is not made to last, but made to be cheap and good for its price, which it is. The parts could rust and the strings aren't that good quality neither. I don't wanna rely on that strap neither, cause of the weight of the guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: This is perfect for me. I have it to take with me to university and back at home I have my Gibson. A guitar this cheap won't be stolen easily and if it is, it's not a great loss. I preferred Yamaha over Squier because Yamaha has a stronger sound and more rock/rock 'n roll. You get a good bang for your buck (litterally) and it's just a beautifully chaped guitar. At this moment, it's a perfect match with me, but if it were stolen, and I still have all the other parts, it's foolish to buy the packageagain, so I'd go for an other model. A Pacifica 112 maybe or a Dean Vendetta 1\.0 CBK or maybe I'd want another guitar by than. So I've been playing for 2.5 years now and I own an Art & Lutherie single cutaway wild cherrywood guitar. and later I bought a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom with 3 humbucker pickups (guitar of the week 47, 2007, limited to 400 examples). Now, 3 months later I bought this Yamaha for University. // 9

EG012 Reviewed by: necromancer10, on february 16, 2011

Purchased from: LIDL

Features: The guitar was made in 2008, and it's a Chinese product. It has 22 frets, neck is quite thick but not very wide. Frets are medium I think. I'm also pretty sure that the body is made from alder, I have no idea about other parts. Mine came in black colour but the finish is very weak, after two years I had five or six major craters in the paintjob so I covered them with duct tape. The body style is Stratocaster copy, the Bridge is Vintage tremolo, but I don't use it because when you do, the strings get out of tune. There is one volume knob and one tone knob. 5 way pickup selector. There are 3 pickup. In the brigde position there is a stock humbucker, in the middle a single coil and in the neck also single coil-all are passive. Tuners are stock Yamaha. If I could buy again I would buy something like Dean Vendetta or some Stagg. // 6

Sound: I play in a band that plays metal and punk. Nothing else really.I use it with Boss HM-2 distortion pedal and it's connected to mixing board and into a sound system. I have to say it's quite noisy when volume knob is not on maximum, but when it is on maximum you will get irritating high pitched feedback when not playing. It has a very bright sound, no matter what pickup. I like the tone you get with middle pickup and brigde pickup gives decent tone for a begginer. For the price more than ok. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was poorly setup when I bought it. The strings were too high, the pickups were on lowest position. Bad. It had no flaws though out the box. You just need to set it correctly. Because of small frets it's very easy playing on it. Nothing is rusty yet, I take good care of it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I have played 5 gigs with it. It had beer spilt on it, I droppped it a few times when practicing and every weekend I must Drive it onto rehersal. I am surprised how reliable it is. The strap buttons are rock solid. I've said it before only bad thing about this chapter is the durability of paintjob, it comes off very easily, but I will give it an 8. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said I play metal and punk and for easier songs you don't need much more than this. When you play and everybody is headbanging and drunk, no one will notice that actually it doesn't sound very good. I have been playing for 2, 5 years and I have a bunch of other gear but this is my only guitar. I am preparing to buy a 7 string guitar so if it was stolen I would buy a better guitar. // 6

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ AC3R 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 10/30/2014