EG112GPBL Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 09/07/2005 category: Electric Guitars
The guitar has allright distortion, the pick-ups work well, the sound is awesome. Everything came in a nice little box there were no flaws, nothing was damaged, everything worked well.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 7.7
reviews (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
EG112GPBL Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: NEX

Features: - Not sure on the year (think 2001), but it is Chinese made - 22 frets with a rosewood fingerboard. The scale is 648mm (about 25 3/8") - Solid agathis body w/maple neck - Volume and tone controls and a 5-way Switch - Front and center single coil pickups w/a rear humbucker - It came as a set with amp, tuner, bag, capo, strap, picks and tremelo. // 6

Sound: For the most part I play older alternative and grunge on it. It works decently for alternative and (with the right settings) older rock, but doesn't sound great with the POS amp Yamaha gave away with it. The neck pickup is quiet and sharp while the rear is smooth and loud so the three middle settings are most used. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It is made pretty well and has no flaws other than mildly poor thought through electronics (but that is in the specifications for it) and the free amp (that they expect you to throw away for them I guess). But I have heard and played worse guitars on worse amps. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As a guitar that is meant to be a start, it is really good. It's cheap and (although it never sounds great) it reliably produces a good sound. It is easily dented and dinged and the finish is easily scratched (somewhat thick though, so not all the way through). The strap buttons have not broken off on me yet but I expect them to. A beginner that is meant to be replaced and not played hard. // 8

Overall Impression: It was a cheap and good way to learn some songs and stuff and find out what I really want in a guitar. As my first it was good but I feel that it is time to move on to better things. If it was lost or stolen w/o amp) I would buy a Fender (Jagstangs are nice) but if it were stolen (w/the amp or just the amp) I would probably get it all back w/an appologetic note for having stolen from a poor and tone deaf youth. I need to atleast get a new amp really soon (if finances allow a Mesa Boogie probably used). // 6

EG112GPBL Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2005

Purchased from: Mr. CD

Features: Nice Guitar with all what you can wish for (if you're a beginner obviously). // 10

Sound: It sounds pretty good. It has good, clean sound. You feel like a pro with it. I'm using a 10 watt amp combo that came with it, it sounds very good for its size, it has a single on/off button for Drive (distortion). I play a variety of genres, all of them based in rock (alternative, rock, grunge, some metal riffs, etc). It fits great with my needs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It has good, classis shape. It is solid, and all the materials are of high quality. The only missing part was a G string, which didn't bother me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can highly depend on it. Asbeing my first electric guitar, I don't jump and run all over the practice room or in friend's parties because I fear to break it, but once in a while friends of mine do it and nothing has happened to it (I think I'll practice some jumps and acrobatics with it). // 10

Overall Impression: In general, this guitar is great for a beginner and even intermediates. I've been playing with it like 2 years now. If it were stolen or lost, I would rapidly go and buy another one like this, or if I had the money buy an Ibanez, Fender or my biggest wish: a Gibson Les Paul. But for my average income this guitar is great, of course I would buy it again. I kind of dislike the design. // 10

EG112GPBL Reviewed by: starbomb13, on september 03, 2004

Purchased from: Yamaha Canada Ltd

Features: - Made in indonesia - 22 frets - Maple neck - Agathis body - Master volume - Master tone - 5-way pickup selector - 2 single coils - 1 humbucker - came with a case, gig bag, strap, cable, extra pack of strings, GA-10 amp, YT-120 tuner, string winder, and 3 picks. // 10

Sound: This is the best guitar to get for this price - it's better than the Fender Squier. The guitar has allright distortion, the pick-ups work well, the sound is awesome. The suits well with any music I play which is usually pop-rock, pop-punk, hard rock, alternative rock etc. As for he amp-it's acceptable-but it's not the best amp. Again-it's better than the little 10 watt Squier amp. Everything just sounds decent and nice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything came in a nice little box there were no flaws, nothing was damaged, everything worked well. Well, I picked up the guitar at the Yamaha Canada's shipping and receiving place-usually, you're not supposed to pick items up over there-this model is only supposed to be sold at retail stores like costco and sam's club in toronto. But, the supervisor was nice enough to let me buy it there after I e-mailed him a couple of times. The people over there handled the guitar pack carefully, so everything was what it was supposed to be. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a awesome guitar to play in your room to improve and practice, but I don't really think it's the guitar to be playing at a gig-probably because of the 10 watt amp. I think if you changed the amp (don't get me wrong, nothing is really wrong with the amp), you can play it live. It's really durable I think if I stepped and jumped on the amp, or tripped over it, nothing will happen to it. Everything seems pretty durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I love that this guitar kit was only 299.99 canadian - and it works better than a lot of guitars at that same price. The guy from Yamaha said that it's actually better than some models that are more expensive. I'm on a pretty low budget, so I was looking for a guitar kit at around this price range - after looking around at a lot of models I decided this was the best model to go with. It's the perfect guitar for beginners. If it were stolen or lost I'd f--kin' run to get another. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014