Pacifica 112J Review

8.5
reviews (7) pictures (10) 59 comments vote for this gear:
Pacifica 112J Reviewed by: adamajid9, on may 16, 2011

Purchased from: Yamaha

Features: The Pacifica is one of the best North American guitars to be created. The guitar is well known for great tone and outstanding playability at an low price compared to Gibsons. The guitar is good for anyone. The thin neck contains a bit less than average sized frets so kids can play and adults don't get frustrated. The 112J has many finishes from solid to flame. Stock finishes include: Black, Blue, Metallic Red, and Maple Wood. The Alder-body guitar has comfort-contoured bodies, bolt-on neck designs, vintage-style vibratos, 5-way switching of the H-S-S pickup configuration, Seymour Duncan pickups, and locking Sperzel tuners. The controls given are Tone and Volume, but work best with advanced computer amps, Marshalls, or advanced sound pedals to give the guitar the best effects. Depending on where the Pacifica is bought, optional accessories can include straps, picks, cases, and cables. The Pacifica is my favourite guitar due to its amazing features and sound for such a low cost. // 8

Sound: The guitar is made for any rock genre but works best for classic rock with its strings. The strings can also sound best for fast hard rock solos depending on the pickup. The amps I'm currently using are Marshalls which are top-of-the-line and work best with Yamahas and Gibsons. The sound of the guitar depends on how play it really. It's basically like it adjusts and senses your your style. You play it fast, and it sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen. You play it slow, and it sounds like Eric Clapton. You have to feel the guitar and connect to it I guess. Tell it what noise to make. And it'll sound amazing to anyone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was built with a lot of care. It's light, but tough. Sometimes, we all bang our guitars by accident. The paint didn't even chip and there are absolutely no dents at all. The guitar contained no flaws and was actually perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar doesn't seem to damage at all even when being smashed. The strap buttons seriously grab the holes on any strap. The quality is amazing and definitely does not need a backup at any gig. The finish doesn't need to be repainted unless you want to change it, which is crazy because the shininess is something you just stare at, unless you're think of putting on ghost flames. This guitar will definitely last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, it depends on how you play the guitar. The sound changes depending on the genre or style. If the guitar was stolen, or I lost it, I'd definitely buy it again. Out of all the guitars I've played, this is my favourite. The only way I'd buy another guitar is if it's discontinued or I'd like to try something new. // 9

Pacifica 112J Reviewed by: NinjaRic, on june 27, 2011

Purchased from: Through School

Features: - 22 Frets - Solid Alder Body - Maple Neck - Rosewood Fretboard - Alnico V Pickups - 2 single coil, and a humbucker - 5-way pickup selector - Volume and tone knobs - Detatchable tremolo arm and 2 hex keys included Basically, you get the guitar. There are no included accessories or anything like that, just the tremolo arm, and a couple of hex keys (along with all the paperwork and stuff like that). // 7

Sound: Because I'm short on money, I'm playing it through a Marshall 3-Watt micro stack. I also have an Ibanez SM7 Smash Box. But this guitar has quite a warm sound, even through my weedy amp. Sounds very nice - and surprisingly loud - when played accoustically. I have experienced some buzzing from the strings/pickups, but nothing major. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Pretty much in tune out of the box, and holds its tuning very well. The action is fine for me, although it doesn't play nearly as well as my friend's Ibanez (but that's to be expected when he paid more than three times as much for it). Mine has a Natural Satin finish, which is lovely, and largely undamaged after multiple knocks. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar live, and it's very reliable & durable. The guitar is built to last, and to an incredibly high Standard for the price. Very occasionally my strap has come off the buttons, but I think that has more to do with my strap than the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: As a beginner guitarist, this guitar has been perfect for me. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another were this one stolen (although I'm saving up for an Ibanez at the moment). I play a wide range of music, and the guitar is versatile enough to cater for them all. Higher-priced models blow it out of the water, but for a beginner (like me), or as a guitar to practice on, this is excellent, and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. // 9

Pacifica 112J Reviewed by: JacksonRhoa1234, on july 17, 2012

Price paid: A$ 400

Features: My Yamaha Pacifica 112J was made in Europe in 2004, I purchased it in 2005. It has a 21 fret, rosewood fretboard, a Vintage sunburst finish and a Vintage style, non-locking tremolo. It came with a hard case, tuner, leads, picks and even an amp, very impressed. // 9

Sound: The guitar is very versatile with the single, single and humbucker pickup configuration. The humbucker suits all of my metal sounding needs, and sounds great through my Peavey 158 amp and Boss ML-2 Metal Core pedal. Using the two single pickups give me a very warm and clean sound, although they can be very noisy through distortion. Overall, I would say that it is good for any type of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up on my guitar was pretty good, the action was good for me, although the pickups were very low set into the body but a quick screw-driver fix was not a hassle. I would have to say that is is very good quality for such a budget guitar, frets set in perfectly, easy to play right out of the box. I have had some issues with the tremolo at first and the pickup selector's middle setting had no output. After a quick visit to the music shop those issues were sorted and I've had no other problems with the guitar in the 7 years I've owned it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played many gigs with this guitar and it is a blast on stage, after fixing the few issues with the tremolo, it stays in tune very, very well. I have never had to tighten any thing, and even today, everything is still very solid and looks like I've just gotten it out of the box. I could defiantly depend on this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, this guitar is great for that except I would like the neck pickup to be a humbucker, still not a huge issue for me. I've been playing for 7 years, this was my first guitar. If it was stolen, I would be in my car and down the music shop in a dash, even though I would like two humbuckers, everything else on this guitar is perfect. It was between this or a Fender Squier, I've played a Squier and I'm so glad I got this. // 10

Pacifica 112J Reviewed by: gara9, on june 30, 2011

Features: From the affordable PAC012 with beautiful color finishes, chrome hardware, and quality construction to the PAC812V with Seymour Duncan pickups and locking Sperzel tuners, the Pacifica Series cover it all. // 9

Sound: Good quality, low maintainance, Yamaha Pacifica 112 is a great sounding guitar at an unbeatable value... A great, modern twist on a classic guitar. And - typical Japanese thoroughness - it's much-improved. The addition of the humbucker on the Bridge makes it such a versatile guitar sound-wise; the body shape is improved too and the neck is as slinky as any Strat or Tele I've played. It was bought second-hand as an "easy" guitar to have knocking around instead of being tucked away like a treasure, but it ended up revolutionising my latest album, inspiring a load more songs and sounds and is now a favourite... // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Yamaha Pacifica 112 lightness and easiness to use makes it a great guitar to play and practise with. Simple yet effective. No unnecessary fuss just pure enjoyment... // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only other guitar that I had that compares to the Pacifica was a 1970 Ampeg brand Les Paul style guitar that I inherited from grandpa when he died. The Yamaha 112 is excellent. I searched for the green color one and found it hard to find. I look in shops and online all the time and I still have not see another green one. You might want to get a blue one instead if your in a rush as they seem to be everywhere. Color mattered to me, maybe it dosnt to you, in that case get a pink one HAHAHA... The guitar is the best value for the money and is better than a $1000 guitar from the big names... Good dosnt mean expensive if you shop smart. // 9

Overall Impression: One of the best electric guitar values for over a decade, Yamaha Pacifica guitars are well known for great tone and outstanding playability. The Pacifica Series feature comfort-contoured bodies, bolt-on neck designs, vintage-style vibratos, and 5-way switching of the H-S-S pickup configuration. // 10

Pacifica 112J Reviewed by: nayansurfer, on august 08, 2011

Purchased from: Furtados music

Features: It was a gift from my uncle. Made in Indonesia in 2010 as it said on its box. It has 22 medium frets, rosewood fingerboard while neck is made of maple. Alder body with double cutaway shape. Red metallic colour. Vintage bridge. Passive electronics. Controls include master volume, master tone & 5 way selector. Pickups are not so good though, but anyway that can't be expected from a guitar in this price range. Pickup configuration is H-S-S. Pickups are probably made by Yamaha. Have never opened them, but there's nothing written on the top of the pickups. Yamaha instrument cable was included which was of poor quality & lasted only 3 months. I don't remember but I think I also got an allen key. // 5

Sound: I'm very choosy about the music I play but there's a lot of variety in it. It includes pop songs from the 60s, classic rock songs and anything & everything in various genres which I feel conveys some emotions in it. I use Roland 30x Cube solid state amp with it, which is also quite versatile, just like the guitar.I recently bought a DigiTech RP355 multi effects unit which I've also reviewed to use with it & the combination is again, versatile. I didn't find any noise while playing the guitar except when both the guitar & the amp were turned at full volume, even while using the humbucking pickup. However, after adjusting the EQ on the processor, it was tolerable. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't altered the action as the factory set-up was as much low as I wanted. I've not heard any intermediate players adjusting with the pick-ups so I haven't tried it, too. Even though I bought the guitar, I had to fix the whammy bar myself. The accompanied instruction manual proved helpful in this regard. At the back of the fingerboard, there were some microscopic pits but they were not obvious. So overall, finish was not bad. Accidentally the guitar may have been banged lightly by me & it has withstanded it. So the wood quality is enough for me. The buttons seem to delicate, but I'm used to them now. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've rarely played this guitar in a live scenario but I didn't have any problem with it for the few months that I've been gifted it, just like my other gear. It seems like it will last. I have a little doubt about the cable socket staying in place, though. I would use it on a gig without backup, as I compared the build quality with Chinese & locally made guitars also available at various stores & as this guitar was made in indonesia, it's sturdy enough. I can't comment on the finish quality, as its too new. // 5

Overall Impression: I believe its a good match for me. I've been playing guitar since 3 years, though not continuously. If it were stolen or lost, I would save up enough money & go for a Fender Strat with H-S-S pickup configuration, instead. I love that it has a Vintage tremolo, so that string changing is a breeze. I hate that it's pickups are so weak. I compared it to an ESP guitar with a Floyd Rose & though it sounded 25 % better, I knew how hard it would be just to change a string on it. So I bought this instead & I don't regret it. There was Squier Telecaster there too, with better pickups but it's body was made of some unheard wood. I also compared it to an Ibanez guitar with some double locking tremolo Bridge too which was the best sounding of them all, but it didn't have a pickguard & as my playing is rash & eccentric sometimes, I chose pacifica instead. Wish it had somewhat stronger pickups, though. // 5

Pacifica 112J Reviewed by: doive, on april 02, 2012

Features: It's an entry level Fat Strat, with a couple of niceties over similarly priced guitars (e.g. Squier Affinity) so that means you get. - SSH pickup configuration + 5 way pickup selector (Yamaha stock) - 1 Vol, 1 Tone - Strat-like body shape (Alder wood) - Maple neck - Choice of Rosewood/Maple fingerboard - Stock Tuners - Tremolo (which isn't well balanced and destroys the tuning) - Choice of colours/natural finish - Mine was made ~2004 - Accessories - ask the shop, they may chuck in some free picks etc. It's a basic level guitar, Yamaha didn't need to reinvent the wheel and, thankfully, they haven't tried to the features are exactly what you'd expect and mostly implemented solidly. I never will understand why tremolo's are included on entry level guitars, they are without exception terrible and most beginners have no idea how to use them anyway, but it would be "lacking" without it so you get one. Body shape wise - it's Strat like in look, but the body is significantly thicker than a Strat and smaller too. It's also a bit more sharply defined than the Strats traditional curve, but isn't as unforgivingly angular as an LP. I personally think it gives it a bit more a 'rock' edge which I like while at the same time not sacrificing playing comfort or being overly heavy (I'm looking at you 4.5kg Les Paul with your unforgiving flat back) The choice of Alder as a body wood is a welcome addition and, against other guitars in it's price range, it really stands out. Most are using low quality agathis or even ply-wood and having a good body really adds to its tone. The option of a natural finish demonstrates how happy Yamaha are with the wood quality - most entry level guitars don't have this option, because quite frankly, you wouldn't 'want' to see what the wood was like underneath. Summary: Standard features, crappy tremolo, nice shape and feel, good quality wood. // 7

Sound: I've had this guitar for a number of years and over time my taste has varied from blues to classic metal, but has always focussed on modern rock. This guitar is fairly all round, an SSH configuration will cope well with a broad variety on tones but don't expect brutal distortion or heaps of country twang. If you're in a cannibal corpse tribute band or a folk group this probably isn't the guitar you're looking for, but there again if you are in one of these bands you're probably not looking for this type of guitar! Moving on to the actual sound. I play through a Fender HOT Rod mainly, but have also put this through a Vox AC30, and a Marshall DSL50 and various other modelling/practice amps. It produces a decent quality sound, with little noise even on the single coils. The stock pickups are nothing special and I've replaced the humbucker with a Pearly Gates and if I was using this as my first guitar I'd swap out the singles too. The new pickup did give it considerably more bite and re-affirmed my assumption that the wood had a nice tone to it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This was the first guitar I brought, over 7 yrs ago. I can't honestly comment on the factory set up! The shop I brought it form made sure it was properly setup so I guess all I can say is it possible to set this up nicely. I haven't really made too man changes to the setup over the years, action up and down 1/2mm and a truss adjust when changing string gauge. The finish was shiny when new and hasn't pick up too much damage over the years. The neck feels pretty Strat like, but without the flat back of the Fender (radius = 13.75" against 9.75") - the scale (25.5") nut width (44mm) are pretty identical to a standard Strat, but it somehow feels a lot "looser" than I expect Strats too and I quite like that about this guitar. All in all this is a decent playing guitar that if set up right and cared for will play much better than you would expect from a guitar in this price bracket. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this over 7 years, gigged it and travelled cumulatively over 1,000 with it in gigbag, and not had many major issues at all which is a testament right there. The original jack plate cracked and I've had to replace that but apart from that there had been no non-routine work done on it. It once fell off it's stand and a bit of the fret wire was dented but it's quite high up the neck between the E and A strings and though I rarely play there it buzzes if I bend into the dint. The paint job has held up well, not faded at all and the chips and dings that it has picked up along the way haven't gone through the paintwork in any places (and there's a story behind each of them). This has travelled with me for many years and is the most reliable backup guitar you could wish for! // 9

Overall Impression: This is an entry level Strat, but it really doesn't feel like one! I've been brought and sold a few other guitars over the years from an Epi Les Paul to an ESP Explorer, a US Strat and more. While this doesn't trump all of them it's certainly given them quite a standard to fight against and for the price is probably the best beginner/intermediate guitar in the market. That said, as with all cheaper guitars the quality varies instrument to instrument, so buy it from a shop and play all the ones they have on display! They had 3 black ones at the shop I was in and I was advised by the salesman that this was the nicest they'd had in a few months. While other guitars come and go, I will always keep hold of this as an incredibly reliable, all round backup. It may not have Fender sparkle or Washburn grit but for something without a PRS price tag. If you are looking for a basic starter guitar, a guitar to move to for intermediate playing (once you've shed that starter pack disaster) or just a solid, all-round backup then this is most certainly worth a look. It even makes Music Radar's "50 guitars to play before you die" ahead of the Gibson SG! // 8

Pacifica 112J Reviewed by: Andy949494, on april 26, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112 on eBay that was advertised as a work in progress. I am guessing its about 15 years old. It used to be a plain wood variant but had been attractively wood striped. It came remarkably well setup albeit with the Tremolo locked up and no tone control. The strings are in poor condition and the fretboard needs a real clean but it has real character and plays much better than it should - a testament to how good these guitars really are (and also the genuine seller). This is my second Yamaha Pacifica 112. I bought a very good condition one two years ago so I could play in my flat and it reminds me of that. The only reason why I sold the old one was I needed the money to buy a Steinberger. They are very good allround guitars. // 7

Sound: The Yamaha Pacifica comes with standard HSS configuration and although this is heavily modded it sounds very similar to how remember my old one too. All the pickups are okay but I would prefer them a little brighter and a little louder (then I might need a tone control). I find the tone etc good but slightly inoffensive - Great as an all-round guitar and better than the (full) price might suggest. I do get a bit of pickup from my watch even on humbucker only which is a surprise and on mine there is a bit of noise in the switch (but it is a heap). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Every time I pickup a Pacifica, even a heap like this one, it surprises me how well it feels. Although they have a sightly old school appearance when you sit and play they are so well contoured they just fit like a glove. Recently I have discovered too that they hang really well on a strap. This ones fretboard is green (The frets have anodized and the fretboard is dirty) but it still plays really nice (I am used to guitars costing 400+). Currently the tremolo is blocked which is fine for me. The tuners are all in a line which I find much easier to turn the right way than the Gibson way (despite owning many that are this way). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I reckon these guitars are one of the most durable around and they should withstand live playing every day of the week. Yamaha built their reputation on these guitars being better made than the opposition and this poor old example demonstrates this. The wood is hard enough not to ding too easily and the hardware is pretty good. It would be safe enough in a cheap gig bag most of the time. The strap buttons are well placed and it feels quite secure (and comfy) but I really don't like standing (even at home) without strap locks so I would recommend strap locks anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: As you can probably tell I am a real fan of the Pacifica 112 particularly the simple wood finished one. Appearance (and tone) is a bit more country than metal but they are really good guitars and very good all-rounders. My music taste goes from clean to heavy-ish overdrive (not metal) but even for me I find the pickups a little weak (although they are not bad for the price) and this is fixable relatively easy. If mine got stolen I would be gutted. I know its worthless but I have in my short ownership got really attached to it. I would replace it with another although maybe not immediately. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ RBX270L 8.6 Bass Guitars 04/09/2014