Pacifica 612V Review

9.4
reviews (2) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Pacifica 612V Reviewed by: Tibboh, on august 25, 2008

Purchased from: Music Cellar

Features: Beautiful black flamed maple top, alder body, maple/rosewood neck, 22 frets. Seymore Duncan JB bridge and 2 Yamaha single coils. 5 way pickup selector and volume and tone knobs with really good "push-push" Switch for splitting the humbucker. Grover Locking tuners can be a tad unpredictable though. No accessories included, but I did haggle for a discount on a case. // 9

Sound: Very versatile sound. It can play anything from Jazz to Metal, though not the extremes (i.e. uber heavy trash, traditional 50's jazz). The Yamaha single coils are a million times better than I expected (I was planning on changing them when I got it, but a mere hour of playing changed my mind). They're great for lead, jazz and even a bit of funk. The humbucker also does not disapoint, It really does give the extra punch when plying heavy rock, especially when you split it. Overall a fantastic versatile sound, which when combined with my Vox Valvetronics amp produces a fantastic noise. The only thing stopping me giving it a 10 is the Yamaha single coils. Had it the coil of the 812V and boom, 10. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well setup in the shop (apart from the crappy factory strings) but other than that it was basically a dust off, tune up and crank up the volume. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Solid guitar, has taken the bashings of its fair share of gigs and home use, with only the typical belt nicks on the back, and dents in the headstock/body. It has taken everything I have thrown at it and just kept playing to tip top Standard. The finish is high quality, very difficult to put a nasty scratch on. The Grover works fantastic. Unlike many non-locking tremelos, it goes back into tune even after thrashing the whammy with some Steve Vai. This thing has lasted a year and a half of abuse and will still be here ten years from now. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, a great buy. It's my second guitar and fantastic for Beginner/Intermediate players, and even experts alike! The versatile sound, combined with with the solid body and comfortable weight and cheap price makes it perfect for people Who want more than the 412V but don't want to splash out all the way for an 812V. Best guitar I own. // 9

Pacifica 612V Reviewed by: sammo_boi, on june 03, 2009

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: Mooloolaba Music

Features: This natural coloured Strat style guitar was made in Korea like all the Yamaha guitars and it boasts an impressive list of features for its price. *22 Standard frets *Rosewood fingerboard (25 1/2 scale) *Bolt on maple neck *Maple top with Alder body *Custom Lo-pro vibrato bridge *5 way pickup selector *Master tone (with a push push coil split), Master volume *Seymour Duncan JB at the bridge and a pair of Yamaha Alnico single coils *Grover locking tuners // 9

Sound: I play all the usual metal/rock (Metallica, Pantera, Van Halen etc.), plus Red Hot Chili Pepper style cleans and downtuned hardcore stuff like Parkway Drive, straight into my Marshall AVT 100. The JB Humbucker makes this guitar what it is, it produces that awesome crushing overdrive sound like that of Dimebag, and heavy downtuned riffs. When you split the JB, the pickup transforms into a Fender-like single coil, and it is great for playing Hendrix and Frusciante. In this setting the guitar replicates the Strat Kirk Hammet uses in One. The two single coils are in no way bad, but definitely can't stand up to the JB. I use the neck single-coil for songs like Nothing Else Matters and it sounds good with some reverb. This guitar has great sustain and it produces really good harmonics. I use the whammy bar quite often for Pantera songs and it sound really good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I was quite surprised when I tested this in the shop that it was actually tuned. It was also fitted with long-life strings so it played perfectly when I bought it. All the pickups and action were perfectly adjusted, although I like to lower the middle pickup out of the way. It was also perfectly intonated. To this day haven't found a flaw in the original setup. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is rock solid. The straps buttons are fine. Tone and volume knobs are good. The locking tuners keep it in tune very well, although using the whammy bar puts it slightly out of tune. The finish looks like it will never wear, although the pickgaurd will probably need replacing eventually. It will withstand Live playing, but depending on how loose you have the bridge a backup would be a good idea, since it is hard to downtune if the bridge is floating. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the best value piece of equipment I have owned. I got it half price so that was an added bonus. I upgrade from the Pacifica 012 and the difference is massive. I couldn't bring myself to play the 012 it sounded that bad compared to this, and the 012 is a good guitar in its own right. This guitar is great for anything distorted, and it handles clean pretty well so it suits what I play, which is anything that sounds good. I've been playing for three years so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about. I love the Seymour Duncan JB, it is probably one of the most versatile pickups you will find, especially since it can be split. I wish the single coils were a better brand since they are fairly bland and don't add much tone without effects. I chose this guitar, because for the price I don't think anyone could find a guitar that was a lot better. If I somehow lost possesion of this I would either buy it again, get the Pacifica 812, or upgrade to an Ibanez S series. All I wish it had was a trio of Seymour Duncans like the 812. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014