Pacifica 912 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 11/10/2005 category: Electric Guitars
It has a maple body/neck, with non-locking tuners on the headstock. The pickups, one humbucker and two single-coils, each have a tone that is worlds apart from the others.
 8.5
 9.8
 7.2
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Pacifica 912 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2005

Features: I bought this rare Vintage Yamaha Pacifica 912 model just over half a year ago. I don't know the exact year, but I know it's Vintage because I talked to the guy about it after purchasing. It has a maple body/neck, with non-locking tuners on the headstock. Anyone who's seen the Pacifica line knows what I'm talking about, it's a really pretty guitar. When I bought it, it came with a Crate GX-115R amp and a bland, basic cable. The pickups, one humbucker and two single-coils, each have a tone that is worlds apart from the others. After purchasing the guitar, I recieved a Gorilla GG-22 amp w/ a tube stack. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of both hard metal and acoustic-style music (funny how you can play Johnny Cash and Jimi Hendrix on the same guitar), so I need a very versatile guitar. This is it. It's good n' raunchy on the bridge pickup, and on the first single-coil (the one right after the humbucker), it sounds, on the GG-22, almost like an acoustic guitar. Those are the only settings I've messed with right now, old equipment tends to crackle when you adjust it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Great action, I had to tweak the pickup adjustment (the man who sold it to me had done so as well), top was perfect, bridge was routed right. It had a few scratches in the finish, but that's what you get with used gear. But it had that broken-in feel. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is freakin' invincible. I've had all sorts of accidents, including the guitar flying off the strap (cheap strap) and hitting the ground. No matter what happens, the thing never seems to get more than a few scratches. I even dropped my acoustic guitar onto it, which put a nasty dent in the acoustic. It is, hands down, the best guitar I have ever seen. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar. Good sound, incredible durability. I compared it with Stratocasters, Les Pauls, and Peaveys, and nothing seems as good. I think about the only things it could use are a tremolo bar (I'm working on that one) and a Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal. I want to thank Yamaha, they gave my music some serious power. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ AC3R 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 10/30/2014