RGS121 Review

8.9
 8.7
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RGS121 Reviewed by: Lash364, on october 27, 2008

Features: First off, I want to get out there that I got this guitar for mowing a lawn. Yes, a Lawn. I test played it before I did said work. It has a great sound. It Consists of: 22 fret, rosewood fret board, Pretty Blue Paint Job, I'd say it's a Strat style, but nix the pick guard, A Humbucker in the neck position, Single coil in middle and a Humbucker in the bridge position, 5 way selector, Volume and Tone knobs, a Standard tremolo bridge, And it's a 6 string, of course. It was made in Indonesia, like many uitars. it's just a normal electric guitar. Nothing on it locks. Though I wish it did have a locking nut. All of the hardware is factory built. // 10

Sound: This guitar sat in a garage for half of it's lifetime, so I was told. Suprisingly, It sounded Brand New. Barely used. I play anywhere from Hard rock, classic rock, to electronica/techno. I use a Fender frontman 15 watt. The guitar sounds smooth. The single coil pickup alone gets a buzz when the gain is set to 10. But when paired with a humbucker, it sounds great. The sound is clear, not noisy, or sloppy. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said, it was "used". So, how this guitar performed after buying is unknown. I mean, it's perfect now. Heh. All the cuts are aligned. Nothing is poorly cut. or misshapen. I recall no flaws for this. Paint job is good and wood is in great condition. Just the Single coil seletion makes a noise. But, I never use the single alone. Never had to. Tuning pegs are snug. Pickups are at the desired heighth. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Definately reliable. I'm sure if I ever played Live and I had to pick between my Fender Squire Bullet and this Yamaha RGS 121, it's got to be the Yamaha. Harware seems well built. Strap Buttons haven't let me down. The finish seems very strong. I don't see the paint chipping anytime in the future. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for Hard Rock and Electronica. I've been playing for 10 months. All I use is the Fender Frontman 15. that's all I have. Hehe. If it was stolen or lost, I'd like to get another. I don't have a lot of money at my disposale and this guitar is inexpensive, but great. I love the whole guitar in general. The only thing it really could have would be a locking nut. I'm content with the Standard Tremolo. Having a Floyd Rose would be too intimidating. Well, that's The Yamaha RGS-121. And I love it. // 10

RGS121 Reviewed by: SHREDDER_DUDE:), on february 09, 2010

Purchased from: ADawliah Riyadh

Features: No idea when it was made. Made in Indonesia. 22 frets. Metallic red finish. Strat style body. Six stud tremolo bridge. Black nickel hardware. Passive pickups. 5 way selector switch. HSH pickup configuration. Sealed tuners. Nato body, Rosewood fingerboard and Maple neck. Came with free cable, allen keys, 5 picks a strap and an extra pack of strings. // 8

Sound: I run this guitar straight through a Roland Cube 15-x amp. It suits metal perfectly giving crunchy, distorted sounds when used with full gain and the Metal Stack setting on the amp using the bridge pickup. The neck pickup is good for blues and clean sounds. I am sure that its not the amp that makes it sound good because I played the guitar through a cheap Yamaha amp and it still sounded great. The pinch harmonics on this guitar are great and I was really surprised by the quality of sound it gives because it was cheap and still had the sound quality of any entry level instrument from ESP or Ibanez. Extremely satisfied with the sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was OK but I had to set it up again when I bought it. The action was a bit high and the tremolo was giving me some problems but still I simple just adjusted the spring tension on the tremolo and it worked fine. Pickups are solid and don't move a lot. The knobs on this guitar were very stiff because they had a tightness adjuster on the side of them which is very useful. Not that many problems with the set up besides the ones specified above. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand live playing without any problems and the hardware is very durable. Strap buttons are solid but I dropped the guitar once when the strap fell off (but that had more to do with my stupidity than the build quality). The finish is beautiful and is high quality too (I got the guitar in metallic red). Overall very good // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this well suits my style. I've only been playing for about a year and a half and this was my first guitar. If this guitar were stolen I'd definitely buy it again. I love the metallic red finish, the black nickel hardware and obviously the sound. // 10

RGS121 Reviewed by: russv, on may 05, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Made in Taiwan, Yamaha's serial number site says this is 10 years old. Despite the name (RGX121S) and appearance this is more of a HSH Strat than Ibanez. The dimensions are very close to my 1962 Strat. The neck is similar but slightly slimmer and very easy to play. The trem, almost identical in size to my Strat, is a budget version with a alloy block but works ok. The 'S' models have an Alder body and again the weight is only just lighter than a Strat, probably because of the deeper cutaways and body chamfering. The tuners are Standard Yamaha's but work well enough if strung correctly. // 9

Sound: Overall it sounds good but there's room for improvement. The pickups are powerful but a bit dark for my tastes. I play blues and rock but not metal. They will easily cope with hard rock\metal riffs but there's a lack of definition when soloing. I'm going to swap out the humbuckers for some Wilkinsons. This should brighten the sound and make it more articulate. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The construction is excellent for a guitar that orginally cost 200. Frets are immaculate. Setup up correctly, the trem works well, with only minor tuning problems. Given the Strat like dimensions a Wilkinson trem should just drop in, I might do that too one day. It's finished in metallic blue and still looks good after 10 years of use. If there's one fault its the pickup cavities are cut slightly out of alinement with the neck so the strings could be better placed of the pickup pole pieces but this doesn't seem to affect the amplified sound. Played acousticallly this guitar is very resonant and responsive, more so than my old Strat. As stated earlier it's very easy to play, the very flat radius makes a difference. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Has survied 10 years with a few scratches and dents but in good working order. Could be played live and is robust enough to risk without a backup (I wouldn't though). Strap buttons could be a bit larger. The finish was built to last and there's not a lot of fret wear. // 9

Overall Impression: This is aimed at the metal market but with a pickup swap could cope with most things. It's very Strat like in design and a good platform for upgrades. I'd buy one again but only a secondhand 'S' model. Later versions are made of basswood, agathis etc. Most of the bolt on hardware, pickups etc, could be upgraded to make a very nice guitar because the neck and body are fundamently sound. It's a budget bargain which appears to have been overlooked by the guitar buying community, probably because: (a) it's Yamaha and (b) no magazine bothered to review it. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014