RGX112 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 07/06/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: RGX112
24 frets, 5 way selector, S/S/H ceramic pickups, alder body, mahagony neck, buvinga fretboard, Ibanez RG style with thin neck.
 8.2
 8.4
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
RGX112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2004

Features: it's a 1978 Japanese made model that I named Lucille. 24 frets on a fast rosewood fretboard. Frets are thin, so bends sound great. It's got airbrushed cream paint job on what look slike maybe pine (I can tell just because of the chips). The neck wood beats the hell outta me. No chips on the neck's paint job as of yet, so I have to wait to find out what it's made of. I'm pretty sure its an ESP copy, but I'm no expert; you can draw your own conclusions from the pic. 5-way selesctor, volume, and tone dials. 1 humbucker, and 2 other pickups (pretty standard). The case is pretty Vintage, and has this awesome mural of the cover from darkside of the moon. Plus, the guitar has a custom made pickguard, built out of maple with a red finish and diamond hard finish which feels like glass. // 6

Sound: This guitrar is hella decent for my style (a sort of modern classic style which is very hard to put into words). It's got a really deep sound, almost bassy, but it retains enough treble to make it sound clearly guitar. I'm using a Korg AX10G with it, on an amp I built myself. It switches between pickups seamlessly. No noise or pause in between switches, so that much is a huge bonus. The guitar can take any effect, and make it its own. It's never way to trebly like so many modern intermediate guitars, and it hasn't ever fedback on me when I didn't want it to. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar I really had to make my own. When I got it, it's action was fine, but the pickups were set up so sh--ttily, that I had no choice but to remove them completely, fix them up, reinstal them, and then adjust them. But they are nice pickups. The bridge is fine, it's got a slot fot the ole whammy bar, and it has slots for extra springs in case you want extra resistance, or just different placements for different sounds. Even after 26 years though, none of the radware on it has rusted, and everything works swimmingly, except for the tuning head for the high e which is loose. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been with me at many a show, and I have never even thought about having a backup. This guitar is a veritable battle axe. The hardaware is 26 years old, and has yet to breakdown, except for the afore mentioned tuning head; nothing else on it looks worn. The strap buttons are solid, though they may be a bit o the big side, but that cold ujst be a Vintage thing, I don't know. The finish is a little cracked, but that is to be expected; after all, its old, and it wasn't originally intended to be a great guitar, but I geuss mistakes can happen for the better. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar fits my style really well, it's just bassy enough to not sound whinny and annoying like so many other guitars today. I've been playing for a year now, I used to play bass, played for a couple of years, though I don't own my own. I also have a slammer hammer Flying V, a Korg AX10G, and a 50 watt I built myself. If I lost this beast, I doubt I would ever be able to find another like it, but I wouldn't want to; this guitar popped my rock'n'roll cherry, and I don't want any other RGX112 than this. I love everything about it, except for the minor chipping. it looks soooo cool, and it makes me feel cooler when I am just looking at that headstock. The only thing I wish it had is a better guitarist so it could really rock out, but hey, it gets a better one every day; in music, you never arrive, it's a never ending journey. I love travelling with Lucille. // 8

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014