RGX121SJ Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 08/24/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: RGX121SJ
22 Frets, 1 volume control, 5 way selector, Rosewood neck, Matt black finish, Strat type body, Non-locking tuners.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 8.3
 8.1
 8.5
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
RGX121SJ Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2004

Purchased from: Hooters, St.Albans

Features: 22 Frets, 1 volume control, two tone, 5 way selector, Rosewood neck, Matt black finish, Strat type body, but a bit pointier, stop tailpiece, non-locking tuners, Medium good size frets, Comes with gig bag, tremelo arm. // 8

Sound: On the bridge pick up, this guitar is one mother-bucker. rocks hard like a bi-utch. will happily rock with nu-metal, punk, heavy metal, more or less anything that involves distortion. on the neck pick up, on clean surprisingly good. and superb for soloing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I found on purchase of this guitar, the action is dam near perfect, and with light strings as standard, it makes soloing dam easy, and even with light strings the tuneing is really stable. i cycle to my guitar lesson 1 mile, and it never goes out of tune. Lovely jubbely! // 10

Reliability & Durability: In my opinion, I would probably not take it on tour without back up. Admittedly, it does give the impression that you cant afford a decent guitar. The matt black finish looks awesome, except from when you play it close, you can see all the dust and scratches that noone else can. // 8

Overall Impression: To me, this guitar and metal rock together. If you play bluegrass, stay away. It does kinda look like an Ibanez copy though, thats my biggie. Only without a floyd rose, which I believe you can buy an rgx with one on. The 1 thing i love is the action and the neck, it seems never to get dirty. And it looks like a burnt finish, which is awesome. // 8

RGX121SJ Reviewed by: Jonmwood95, on august 24, 2010

Features: Made in taiwan, not sure when. 22 frets, volume knob, 2 humbuckers and 1 single coil pickup with 5-way selection. Only one tone knob however but this is hardly an issue. Strat-style body. // 7

Sound: The only electric guitar I have ever owned, so I have nothing to compare it to. I generaly play anything from soft rock to heavy metal and it seems to do better towards the heavier end of the scale. I am running it through a Stagg GA 60 R amplifier. Not much humming, even on the single coil pickup. Also seems to do better at lead guitar then rhythm, but I use it for both (mostly lead). Otherwise, very good sound quality, especialy for the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how well the guitar was set up at the factory, seeing as I got it second hand (at least). The input jack does tend to get quite loose, but this has never been a problem when playing live and can easyly be repaired, even when it comes off, with suitable tools. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Had a few problems: -Volume knob came loose, but I replaced it and it is no longer a problem. -Tends to become out of tune quite quickly with use of whammy bar. -Tone knob potentiometer came loose without my knowing and this resulted in the wires breaking off. The guitar then stoped working through an amp and I had to solder them back in place and then tighten it back in place. Now for some reason, if I ajust it to far, the connection cuts out again. It has also started coming loose again. The guitar has lots of dents, due to age, but only one tiny chip in the paintwork, to it's credit. // 6

Overall Impression: All in all, I realy like this guitar and am very pleased with it's overall performance for it's price. There are a number of disadvantages but they are all outweighed by the advantages. I would recommend it to any beginner or intermediate player(on a buget), playing rock or metal. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014