RGX121Z Review

7.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 10 comments vote for this gear:
RGX121Z Reviewed by: SHREDDER_DUDE:), on june 09, 2010

Purchased from: Al Dawliah

Features: First I want to say that this a more detailed and more experienced review of the guitar. I already reviewed it but I put it under the wrong name and I had it only for about a week when I last reviewed it. First of all this guitar has 22 regular sized frets and a 25.5 scale length which all sits on top of a smooth bolt-on alder neck and a rosewood fingerboard. The guitar is a more aggressive Strat with a body thats made out of alder sporting a metallic red finish. The bridge is a Vintage style tremolo bridge. All hardware is black nickel and the three pickups (HSH configuration) are passive and the controls are 1 tone 1 volume and five way selector switch. Tuners are sealed and on the headstock there is a tension bar to improve tuning and to compensate for the loss of an angled headstock. // 9

Sound: I play death, thrash, metalcore and basically every other metal sub-genre that i know and this guitar is well suited for it. I run it through a Zoom G1/Roland Cube 15x. The bridge pickup is nice and crunchy with high gain and the middle pickup is very "bluesy" (I don't like it very much because it gets in the way of my picking but i just lower the pickup height so that it stays out of my way) while the neck pickup is actually very fluid and great for any palm muted triplet arpeggios. With my G1 on high gain and extreme distortion and on the bridge setting, I can get a nice Children of Bodom-like crunch sound perfect for any metal style. The palm mutes are great on the bridge pickup and harmonics are very audible and easy to get. I have not used the middle pickup much because I don't need it but its useful for when I'm a more clean and jazzy sort of mood plus it improves the guitar's versatility. The neck pickup is my favorite because it is just amazing for solos. When I play the solo of Shattering the Skies Above by Trivium it sounds perfect. Unlike most other entry level instruments this guitar has very little noise (The noise becomes inaudible when I put the noise reduction on level 1 which is great). I would say that this guitar is very versatile when it comes to sound and I give it a thumbs up on this section. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar the factory set up was acceptable but needed some improving. The action was a bit low and the tremolo needed some spring adjustments. I had to tighten the tremolo because I use heavy gauge strings (10-50) and it would make the bring tilt which would make the guitar go out of tune very quickly but it was fine once adjusted. No other problems really. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has stood plenty of gigs and is very durable. Since it is a Vintage style bridge guitar I wouldn't bring a backup but it is always advisable to bring a backup because you never know what may happen. The strap buttons are very stable and the finish I very high quality and has no wear. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for almost 1.5 years and I just love this guitar so much. I actually purchased this due to my lack of options where I live because my options were Fender, Yamaha and Samick. I just browsed around the store for a while and then the red finish of the guitar caught my eye. I fell in love with it immediately and tried it out. It sounded great so I bought it and left the store happily. If I had to choose my favorite feature of this guitar it would be the beautiful metallic red finish. I also love the smooth neck on this guitar and the headstock shape. I would compare this guitar to the Ibanez GRG or the Jackson JS30 dinky; a great high quality entry level instrument. If there was anything I wish my guitar had it would probably be a Wizard neck but except for that its great. // 8

RGX121Z Reviewed by: letsROCK147, on june 11, 2010

Purchased from: Al-Alamia

Features: Mine was made in 2008 it was made in indonesia it has 22 regular sized frets the construction is bolt-on the neck is maple and the fingerbord is rosewood with dots on the 3rd 5th 7th 9th 12th 15th 17th 19th and 21st frets it has a solid top with a very nice finish I bousht the flat silver finish which is a very nice color for an Electric Guitar the body style is Strat like but in a more agressive way. For the electronics and the bridge There are 1 volume and one tone and a 5 way selector, the bridge is a Vintage style bridge the pickups are 2 humbuckers and one single coil pickup the only down side is that the tuners doesnt't seem the keep the tuning so you'll have to tune the guitar every 15 minutes while playing // 8

Sound: I play every thing from classical bach and mozart to death and trash metal and this guitar suits everything this guitar is great for tapping, bending, pinch harmonics, vibrato, sweep, solos, rythem playing, and even clean Acoustic music. for fast playing I recommend using the bridge pickup or the neck pickup, for clean music I recommend the middle pickup. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have a Fender Squier Strat and I had to adjust the pickup height to suit rock music and fast solos but this guitar had great action and perfect pickup height, for some reason I didn't find it very comfortable so I don't think a professional guitarist should play it stock(if you wanna play a gig with it change the action and the pickup height) // 8

Reliability & Durability: as I said erlier the tuners doesn't seem to keep the tuning so if your going to play a live gig you have to tune your guitar every 15 muinuts. The hardware is made of chrome and is painted black so I guess it will last for a long time. I was dissapointed with the strap buttons which aren't very solid(when I play this guitar I always keep a little screwdriver in my pocket) I don't think the finish will last long if you bought the flat silver but if you bought either the black metallic or the red matallic I think it will last something between 5-10 years. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is a high grade instrument for an entry level guitar but not pleasing enough for a pro I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I own a Fender Strat and the Strat is a better guitar than this one. If this guitar got lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another one I'd buy something else. // 8

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014