RGX320FZ Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 01/08/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: RGX320FZ
The all new Yamaha RGX line of instruments are modern rock hot rods. The RGX320FZ features a set neck, double-cutaway mahogany body, AES original hardware, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, Yamaha humbucking pickups, diecast tuners, and more.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 9.5
 9.6
 9.3
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
RGX320FZ Reviewed by: hourglass666, on july 03, 2006

Features: This baby has a cutaway mahogony body with a mahogony set neck. 22 frets on a rosewood fingerboard, two passive Yamaha humbuckers, Tune-O-Matic bridge and it is stringthrough to give you maximum sustain. It has nonlocking Die-Cast tuners that stay in tune extremely well. 3-way pickup selector with one master volume and one master tone. It is H/H pickup configuration. // 10

Sound: I play all kinds of metal and it suits it perfectly. I use it through a Boss MT-2, Dime Crybaby From Hell, ISP Decimator and a Peavey Studio Pro 112. I use the amps distortion for the rhythm because it has a mean low sound and my Boss MT-2 for the leads. The stock pickups are exellent although I've switched them to Duncans for more of a metal sound. The stocks can give you a mean dark rhythm sound and an amazing lead sound. The only thing I wish more of it is to pickup harmonics better. It can sustain for days (like a Les Paul) but it has a thin neck (like an Ibanez). The set neck doesn't keep you from accessing the upper frets, you can actually get at them very well. The bridge pickup gives feedback when not being played even if you cover the strings, but nothing a noisegate can't do. I say this guitar has been made for Metal and Hard Rock, not for blues and classic rock at all. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup with a little high action for my taste, although I like extremely low action (4mm at the 12th). I use .11s to .49s and keep the tuning in standard D. It does not fret buzz, only when you strum/downstroke/upstroke really hard and I mean really hard. The pickup selector is a bit noisy while switching but otherwise it's perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The input jack has come loose and I have to tighten it every so often. The hardware will last a lifetime, this guitar has been abused by me so much and it just has some minor dings and scratches. The strap buttons are solid but I got straplocks installed a couple months later. I would never use a guitar at a gig without a backup. The finish will last a long, long time. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, I play all kinds of metal and hard rock. It matches it perfectly. Although I've only been playing for a year and a half, I know what a good guitar is and this is one of them. I wish it had an original floyd rose and 24 frets, but it's all good, if I lost this guitar, I would definitely buy it again. // 9

RGX320FZ Reviewed by: pinoyplaya, on january 08, 2007

Features: I bought this guitar just about a week ago and after listening and playing the guitar consecutively, I fell in love with it. This Guitar was made on 2005 in USA. It has a Nato carved top body, a thin 25.5" set in maple neck, and a smooth 22 fret rosewood fingerboard. The guitar comes with two colors which are black and Pewter. I personally selected the black color as it looked the best with an outlined color on the edge of the body. Not only does the guitar come with a Tune-O-Matic, HH pickups, but it also has Die-Cast tuners which keeps in tune for a long period of time. When looking at the body of the guitar, you will think that it's not very well worth it especially noticing only two controls which are the tone and volume controls. But it's very well worth it. You don't need anything else other than these two controls and the 3-way toggle switch selectors. The guitar did not come with any other accessories but for it's price, it's a guitar that you will not regret getting. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock, pop, metal, and jazz with this guitar and it sounds better than any other guitars on the market that cost three times as much. The guitar sounds perfect with my amp which is the Fender FM212DSP 100W Amp. So far, I've had no problems with this guitar. It plays clear and loud. Speaking of loud, this guitar's volume controls can make your 100W amp sound like 500W amps and yet the sound will still remain clear, the way you prefer. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was very low when I bought it. It does make a fret buzz on A1 but it only occurs when you're strumming real hard. Even though you hear the fret buzz on the guitar, you can hardly hear it on the amps thus it remains unnoticeable. The pickups were adjusted very well. There were no misalignments or any sort of flaws. The guitar does come with a pair of Yamaha's Humbuckers which sounds perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped this guitar so many times and hit it every so often on the wall and so far, no scratch or dents. The guitar remained perfectly in tune even when you accidentally hit the tuners. All I say is this guitar is solid and will and can handle any kind of abuses you let it deal with. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar was definitely worth it considering the price I paid for it was less than $200.00. If this guitar ever get stolen, broken, or lost, I will definitely buy another one. Though, it is unfortunate that this guitar is now discontinued. After my experience with this guitar and if something does happen to it, I will try my best to find the same guitar or get another guitar made by Yamaha. I compared this guitar to other guitars that were up to 3 times as much and nothing out there compared to the quality this guitar provided me with. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ AC3R 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 10/30/2014