RGX420S Review

9.1
 8.1
reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
RGX420S Reviewed by: cold_static544, on september 06, 2003

Features: Made in Taiwan. 24 frets Master volume, master tone. 5-way blade selector, split on bridge and neck pickups Direct output selector, bypasses all tone,volume and pickup settings,a bridge humbucker tone. - H-H configuration - Yamaha stock pickups - Passive Electronics - Body: Alder - Neck/Fretboard: Maple/Rosewood - Finish: Gloss - Bridge: Licenced Floyd - Tuners: Non-Locking - Neck: Slim, Med.Jumbo Frets 25.5 scale - Accessories: Cable - Body Style: Superstrat // 8

Sound: Firstly, playing unplugged, this guitar has lots of volume and a well-rounded tone. Not to mention some natural reverb as well. This is due to the alder body......great tonewood here. Using it with a crate GFX-15. Pickups are ceramic, it would be noisy on high gain when the gain knob on my amp is cranked. Other than that it is not. I play blues, metal, jazz, classic/modern rock stuff. I love the bridge single-coil for blues. That's when a clean tone really shines (i play most blues on clean.).....twangy almost strat-like. Put a middle single-coil on this guitar and it becomes a Strat! The bridge pickup is hot, lots of gain. The sound can be thick like a Les Paul, or twangy like a Strat. Great variety of tonal options here. Sound-wise its great very versatile,even though pickups are a tad noisy, but i can overlook that.....i would give it a 5. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was low. Pickups were well adjusted. Not too high in which the tone sounds muddy and not too low in which there is a lack of Gain. Bridge is properly set up. Very important in the case of a Floyd. Intonation is Spot-on. Hardware such as the Locking tuners and string clamps on the floyd are rusty, but this is the fault of the shop, not manufacturer. The Floyd especially doesn't have enough upward bend, but after a few string breakages, the floyd seems to move down and this gives it more room for upward bends. I can bend a good 2-3 tones up. and a long long way down......... // 8

Reliability & Durability: Whistand live playing...?? Of course. Used it for a single gig and everything was fine. The direct output Switch is a good idea especially in the midst of a gig. The hardware seems solid enough.......the finish is great because it doesn't project my fingerprints or dust on the guitar. The finish is much better and seem much more lasting than some much more expensive Fenders which I have tried out. Strap buttons are okay, not locking or anything, average.. Yes I can depend on it. Would I use it on a gig without a backup? sure...... // 10

Overall Impression: I play most metal, blues etc. etc. It is definitely good for what i love to play. Been Playing for four years now. Do not currently own any gear. If it were lost,i would definitely get the same guitar. What i love about it is its solid feel and the pickups and tones i can get out of it. However i wish there is an individual tone controls for the two humbuckers so when i Switch on the both of them, i can balance it tonally. I compared it with many guitars. Fender strats, ESP M and F guitars. But they don't seem to be as sturdy as this guitar and besides, they are much more expensive. I chose this because it felt sturdy and it had an alder body, and of course its cheaper!!! I wish it had EMGs built in EQ fuzz effects blah blah blah, but hey! the price tag's cool. This guitar is good, beats the heck out of Ibanez or any of those other superstrats in this price range.....no gimmicks, this is the real deal dudes..... // 10

RGX420S Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 06, 2003

Purchased from: TheMusicWarehouse.co.uk

Features: Not sure what year this guitar was made. It's got a 24 fret rosewood neck. Two passive humbuckers hooked up to a 5-way Switch and a direct Switch. I bought it used so I'll assume factory humbuckers. It has one tone and volume dials. It has a strat-ish body with double-locking tremolo system. It has everything I needed. // 10

Sound: I like to play AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Eagles, Nirvana, Beatles (my tastes are quite eclectic). I play through a Peavey Rage and have tried it through a friends Fender Hot Rod. I have a Jim Dunlop WAH, a DOD Fuzz, and a Rogue Chorus. I have not had a problem with noise, all the sounds are full. I find I can find the sound I'm looking for by tweaking the switches. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used. I had to lower the action and adjust the bridge. The bridge humbucker was quite loose also. For the price, not a lot of time was needed to adjust this baby. The neck is flawless, the fret work is very good and the neck is very easy to play fast. The controls are very solid, the 5 way and direct Switch are quite sturdy and the tone and volume are sturdy metal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is quite sturdy. Its been played hard, the tremolo has been mercilessly tortured, and its been bumped and dropped quite a few times -- but it has never been out of tune!! The electronics seem quite sturdy. I am not a gigging musician but I'd have to say you would never need a backup for this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar deserves a 10. For the price, I could not have found a better value, in fact, I doubt I could have found a better guitar for double the price. // 10

RGX420S Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Features: This guitar is pretty good. I don't know when it was made but I assume it was made in Japan! It has 24 jumbo frets and the neck is made from rosewood I think, the top is solid. I think the body is made from mable but I'm not sure, I had it a few years so I can't remember! It has a floyd rose bridge and it has a volume and tone control and a 5-way pickup selector. It also has a little swich on it which kinda makes it more loud and gritty. It has 2 humbucker pickups that are sraight from the factory. It has locking tuners and it came with a gig back and all the usual stuff like picks etc. // 8

Sound: This guitar is more suited to playing metal as it has a long neck which is good for soloing. I mostly play punk rock so it does suit me that well but it is still good. I play it straight into my Marshall MG100DFX and use the pedal and effects on it and it sounds good through it, although the pickups arnt that suited to my style of playing. On the heavy distortion on my amp the guitar has quite a lot of feedback and makes a fair bit of noise! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly from the factory, no flaws at all. I have never had to adjust the pickups, they have been fine. I have no complaints about the function of this this guitar apart from the noisy pickups. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable and has never let me down. I have played live with it a few times without a backup, the strap buttons are very solid and you can deffinetly depend on this guitar live. The finish is made to last and I have bashed it a few times but it hasn't chipped or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is good but it doesn't suit the type of music I play very well. It was my first guitar but I wouldn't have bought it if I had looked into it properly, it is better suited to someone who is an intermediate guitarist who plays metal or something similer. The good thing about it though is that is is well made and very reliable, a real work horse or a guitar. // 6

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ DDS-20M Digital Delay Sampler 7.4 Guitar Effects 08/21/2014